TMA-1s, HD-25s or M-80s
Jan 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

c2b16e

New Head-Fier
Hey guys- I had a set of the Phaiton MS-400s (which I liked) break on me this week. (the band totally snapped!)

SO, I'm in the market for a new set of portable cans. (it's always nice to have an excuse to pick up new gear)

Build-quality is important to me, as is portability, so while obviously not outweighing sound, they are factors to consider. Source will be exclusively ALAC via iphone/ipod for travel and commuting listening. I'm not adverse to picking up a portable amp if required, but don't have one currently.

Listening tastes run the gamut, rock, jazz, classical, and especially live music. Not alot of electronica. By point of reference I run a Cayin a-88t tube integrated into Spendor S3/5s for my home rig, so I'm definitely partial to a sweet midrange.

I've been researching options here and elsewhere, and it seems like the three models in the title here maybe represent my best bets in the $200-ish range? I was hoping to get some advice from more seasoned heads than myself before I pull the trigger. Am I on the right track with these? Anything else I should consider? All comparisons, suggestions, ideas welcome, I'd really appreciate some experienced direction. Thanks!

Also, I should add that I'm not really looking for the last word in fidelity or neutrality, just a fun, involving set of durable, good-looking portable 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back