Titanium HD - T0-99 opamps dont fit with EMI shield
Oct 22, 2011 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just wondering if people think it would be better to go with better opamps that dont fit with the EMI sheild - OPA2111AM

Or worse opamps that do fit with the EMI shield - OPA2111KP

The better of worse sound is of course my opinon of the opamps, and havent got my new computer yet but the soundcard will be right next to my GTX 460's running in SLi so will the shield help out with heat issues?

Thanks allot

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 27
Leave the EMI shield off, then used a  bracket screw bolt or  a small bolt and screw on the X-FI HD bracket so it stays on. Theres no different with the EMI shield off or on. so you can leave it off, Unless your system has a lot of noise.  I keep my EMI shield off all the time so i can change op-amp with ease.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 27
Thanks for your reply!

Do you not think with the card being more open dust and heat will be a problem? The card will be verry tight in my system :frowning2:
Quote:
Leave the EMI shield off, then used a  bracket screw bolt or  a small bolt and screw on the X-FI HD bracket so it stays on. Theres no different with the EMI shield off or on. so you can leave it off, Unless your system has a lot of noise.  I keep my EMI shield off all the time so i can change op-amp with ease.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 27
I had the EMI off my card for quite a while, The only way you will get that To-99 op-amp on is to either keep the EMI shield off or cut  a hole thru it. The part of the card that get dusty in my comp is the rear of the card wheres theres no components. In my case the front of the card didnt get dusty since I have it behind a video card and there isnt much dust in my  room where the comp is located. If your worried about it getting dusty then you may have to use the Dip ver of that op-amp. Unless you cut a hole in the Emi shield to fit the To-99.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 27
Ok cheers mate,

I do have the Dip version however its not as good :frowning2:
I guess i will just have to be careful with dust

You liking the LME49720NA mate?

Oh and I have been searching for ages and cant seem to find the answer to if you can mix opamps in the I/V, say have one LME49720NA and one OPA2111AM? Please tell me you know haha :p

Quote:
I had the EMI off my card for quite a while, The only way you will get that To-99 op-amp on is to either keep the EMI shield off or cut  a hole thru it. The part of the card that get dusty in my comp is the rear of the card wheres theres no components. In my case the front of the card didnt get dusty since I have it behind a video card and there isnt much dust in my  room where the comp is located. If your worried about it getting dusty then you may have to use the Dip ver of that op-amp. Unless you cut a hole in the Emi shield to fit the To-99.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 27
You must use Two of the same op-amp in both I/V's and Buffers. If you use Two different op-amps you will have funky sound and thats a no no.  Also The buffers Accept both single channel and dual channel op-amps, Meaning you can slot in single channel op-amps in the buffers without having to use Two single channel op-amps on a adapter.

I have the LME49720NAs in my Card with the Default buffers So I could use LT1364s In my Fiio E9. I loving the combo, but waiting for The HA vers to get shipped to me from some one who soldied them on dip adapters for me.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 27

OK thanks allot mate, you dont understand how long i have been trying to find that out for lol!

Cheers :D

Quote:
They doing a good job working with the LT1364 thats in my Fiio E9.  You must use the same Two op-amps in both I/V Sockets As one is for one ear and the other is for the other ear. You also must use Two same op-amps for the buffers too. Meaning you Must use Two LME49720HA's in the I/Vs and Two LME49710HAs in the buffer. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 27
It's not an EMI shield at all, it's made of plastic! It's only here to lower the RMA rates due to ripped components, and if you use TO99 chips in DIP8 sockets I hope you're using proper adapters and didn't just bend them
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 27
Ok thanks mate...

So you wouldnt worry about not using the EMI shield thing?

Also I am using an adapter yes, however as I cant use two different chips in I/V i will need to buy another and llooking to get one from here...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-OPA2111AM-Dual-Low-Noise-Precision-Difet-OPERATIONAL-AMPLIFIER-OPA2111-/120789569418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1f9e8f8a
The legs seem to be slightly bent here is that bad? (feeback looks good so think there genuine)

Thanks allot and sorry for so many questions :D
Quote:
It's not an EMI shield at all, it's made of plastic! It's only here to lower the RMA rates due to ripped components, and if you use TO99 chips in DIP8 sockets I hope you're using proper adapters and didn't just bend them
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 27

Hi mate are you sure with this (hope im not comming accross rude as im not intending it!) as it would only have 4 x opamps for L/R if it were a balanced system. That would also mean 4 x buffers which it doesnt have. I think one dual opamp would be L/R and the other would be Ground.... In which case it would be better if they were different, no?

Just a bit confused lol

Quote:
You must use Two of the same op-amp in both I/V's and Buffers. If you use Two different op-amps you will have funky sound and thats a no no.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 27
Leeperry, chime in here mate if you would. I'm trying to help out Danny. I sent him a few Opamps but it seems there is a bit of confusion about what he needs. Is I/V L/R and ground?. I don't know the Titanium but as I/V both take dual opamps I assume they are not just L/R as that would suggest it was balanced which I don't think it is.

Just so I can help Danny out can someone just clarify what I/V relates to.

Cheers....

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 27

Cheers Nigel :D

Quote:
Leeperry, chime in here mate if you would. I'm trying to help out Danny. I sent him a few Opamps but it seems there is a bit of confusion about what he needs. Is I/V L/R and ground?. I don't know the Titanium but as I/V both take dual opamps I assume they are not just L/R as that would suggest it was balanced which I don't think it is.

Just so I can help Danny out can someone just clarify what I/V relates to.

Cheers....

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 27
Sorry, I dunno anything about this soundcard. I only know that they were smart enough to use single opamps on its last stage instead of a nasty sounding dual opamp, so that's a good move towards primo SQ. I'm sure some googling would tell you who does what.

Personally, I prefer TO99 opamps nicely soldered into adapters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-TO-99-TO99-DIP8-adapter-PCB-round-pin-/120757523492
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-TO-99-Single-DIP8-Dual-Opamp-Adaptor-/180728972287

They always sound better to my ears, it might be due to oscillation and whatnot....but bending TO99 into DIP8 is nothing more than a kludge.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 27
OK cheers mate,

I couldn't find anything online so ill email creative tomorrow morning!

I understand that the adapter isn't as nice as the other ones that you linked but I can't soldier you see and can't find anywhere cheap that has the OPA2111AM on its own... this is all irrelevant if creative respond and say mixing opamps is fine...

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back