Tips to get a better seal for IEMs?
Nov 21, 2006 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Aleksandr

New Head-Fier
Just picked up super.fi 5 pro, having some problems getting a good seal. Strange thing is, the medium sized tip (the default one that comes on the monitor) is just perfect for my right ear. I get a very good seal.
But for my left ear, none of the tips or the bi-flange or even the foam seems to give a good seal. Either no seal at all or it's quite loose and will come out easily.

Any suggestions on tips to get/use or how I can try to get a better seal?

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember reading about one ear not sealing good. Are both ears freshly cleaned, not waxy?

Yes, they are. I think my problem is that my left ear canal is slightly... differently shaped. They're not straight or something. Heh. I'm looking for different options for tips or complys.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 13
I was going to mention the Comply tips but i didn't know if they fit UE. I've been waiting for my stock Shure and Ety faomies to run out, then try the Comply tips.

Aside from the tip from terance, what is recommended and works great for me is to use the opposite side hand and lift up on the outer ear when inserting the IEM. This allows for an easy, deep insertion...but I realize you must have un-matched ear canals. No cure for that I suppose. You might have to tweak your way into your own customized tip combo.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 13
After experiencing some issues with a spotty, unbalanced, and pseudo-uncomfortable seal using the stock silicone sleeves, I've had some success with the black soft flex sleeves designed for the Shure e2. For whatever reason, they seal much better for me and are more comfortable doing it. It has been pointed out elsewhere that the Shure sleeves extend farther past the nozzle and have a narrower tube than the standard UE tips, and as such may alter the sound. It's difficult for me to know whether the change is actually due to the physical differences between the tips or the improved fit (although I imagine it's a combination of both), but I find the sound using the soft flexes to be clearer and more impactful with better imaging. A drawback (for me) is an apparent boost in the upper midrange/treble region which introduces a wee bit more harshness into some vocals and sometimes (perhaps) pushes them close to sibilant territory...but I am especially sensitive/watchful when it comes to this particular effect...so my mind may be overemphasizing it to a degree.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleksandr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they are. I think my problem is that my left ear canal is slightly... differently shaped. They're not straight or something. Heh. I'm looking for different options for tips or complys.

I have the super.fi 5 pro, and I too have a wider left ear canal than my right... and u know what I do? I wish I had customs... LOL!

No, but seriously, some days I'll use the mediums on both, and some days I prefer the large on both. Usually the medium is better because it goes deeper into the canal and yields a better soundstage in my opinion.

This is why people buy customs.... for comfort, and because some of us have assymetrical orifices.
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the super.fi 5 pro, and I too have a wider left ear canal than my right... and u know what I do? I wish I had customs... LOL!

No, but seriously, some days I'll use the mediums on both, and some days I prefer the large on both. Usually the medium is better because it goes deeper into the canal and yields a better soundstage in my opinion.

This is why people buy customs.... for comfort, and because some of us have assymetrical orifices.
tongue.gif

I tried the large in my left ear and for a while I thought it was a better fit but it seemed to be a placebo effect. Isolation was slightly better but it would fall out if I jostled it.

I'd get customs too, except (i) prohibitive cost (ii) I don't live in the goold ol' US of A

Nov 21, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I tried the large in my left ear and for a while I thought it was a better fit but it seemed to be a placebo effect. Isolation was slightly better but it would fall out if I jostled it.

I'd get customs too, except (i) prohibitive cost (ii) I don't live in the goold ol' US of A

Ok, I understand the cost factor completely as I can relate to you on that front, but what does not living in the U.S. have to do with owning a pair of customs? You can have your molds made anywhere and ship them to the IEM manufacturer. I'm lucky in that regard though... I live in Los Angeles which is only about an 80 minute drive to Irvine, which is where Ultimate Ears is located.... and ULTIMATELY, they are, of course, who I would choose for customs.... no ifs, ands, or buts. And likewise if I chose not to drive there, well I would ship my molds UPS ground and they would still be there the next day.

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I have used medium Shure softips with my Etys, but when I got a pair of UM2s, I found that I had to move up a size (large) for a proper fit. My left ear canal is also slightly larger than my right, but the softips work great. FWIW, I had the same problem when I tried out a pair of Superfi's - the armature housing is too big/bulky and the sound barrel extension too short to fit me well. I've read a thread where people have reversed the cables and wear the IEMs in the opposite ear for better fit, so you might try that (I just found a better fitting IEM). Good luck.

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 13
Just modded my pair, took all of two minutes. Seal seems better, but still not as good as my right ear, which is a really really good fit. But what I like about it is that it doesn't stick out nearly as much as it used to, which means I can lie down with my head on my side wearing these now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back