Tips for the Altec Lansing iM716?
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got a pair of the Altec Lansing iM716s but am finding the stock triflanges quite uncomfortable.

The stock foams are better, but their construction is shoddy. Plus, waiting for foams to expand is a bit annoying. So is replacing tips every month.

I was wondering it there is a tip out there that was comfortable and isolating yet provided optimal sound quality for the AL iM716.

I know that the Shure Olives are quite good, but I was looking for a tip that would not need frequent replacing.

Thanks!
Leon

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 23
olives dont need to be replaced that often..ive had the current one im using for months

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
olives dont need to be replaced that often..ive had the current one im using for months

I have quite a bit of earwax, so I can use them for about a month before they start getting disgusting. At a pair a month, I would have to spend around ~$50 for tips each year, something I'm not quite willing to do. :p

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have quite a bit of earwax, so I can use them for about a month before they start getting disgusting. At a pair a month, I would have to spend around ~$50 for tips each year, something I'm not quite willing to do. :p

You can wash Shure olives. With a 5 pair pack at $15-$20, that puts you at $15-$20 on tips per year.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 23
I use old ety silicon biflanges after my only pair of olives stopped expanding (over a year old) Works well, sounds brighter but not a big deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 23
well with the olives you dont have to wait for them to expand..just put them in the ear and music on

outside of olives or a different kind of silicon tip you have the UM56 but thats even more expensive

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 23
I find the sony hybrids to fit surprisingly well with my im616. I suppose that'll fit im716 as well.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

well with the olives you dont have to wait for them to expand..just put them in the ear and music on

outside of olives or a different kind of silicon tip you have the UM56 but thats even more expensive

Um. Yes, you do need to wait for them to expand. You have to compress the foam then put them in your ear and wait.

I have a pair of Shure Olives, I know what they're like.

I'm open to silicon or other tips though. The UM56 looks enticing, but since my ears haven't stopped growing, I don't think that's the best option right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the sony hybrids to fit surprisingly well with my im616. I suppose that'll fit im716 as well.

Thanks! That's sounds like a really good option. How's the isolation with them?

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Not true, you need to compress them first like any other foam tip. The olives just have a coating on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 23
well i guess but its not like comply or most foam when you have to wait a good amount of time for them to compress..i typically just put them in and go.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! That's sounds like a really good option. How's the isolation with them?

For me, sony hybrids seal much better than im616's stock tri-flange, and more comfortable than the stock foam. Isolation is alright, but I didn't try to compare side by side or anything.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 23
Not that you'd do this, but I had two pair of UM56 custom tips (long story) for the UM3X, which I sold. Turns out, they are perfect for my im616s, which cost me $17 a couple of months ago. The synergy is amazing. Of course, using a $115 custom sleeve (got them very cheap, as that included the impressions) on a $17 IEM is extreme, but again, the Ety drivers on those ALs could not sound better (do have to EQ the Sony X bass a little too).

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 23
i've been using the Shure soft flex sleeves on my 716's for plane travel, isolation is slightly less but still good, and they are very comfortable compared to the stock tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back