Tips for shopping and NOT buying into BS Cables - Coming from an ex-Sales Executive
Sep 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #61 of 124
Quote:
As much as people hate Monster around here, how do their standard speaker cables stand up to other cables?  My dad got a short run of it for his (Bose...) speakers, and they seem to be of pretty good quality.  Nice and thick, good insulation and very flexible, and even after being there for several years there's not a single sign of corrosion at the ends of the cable.  Their speaker cables aren't ridiculously expensive either.

Still though, I'm sure you could probably get something exactly the same for far less...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

Probably significantly cheaper and just as good.  Even if it does fall apart, you can usually get 2-3 units of equivalent Monoprice cables with the cost of an equivalently specced Monster.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #62 of 124

Quote:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

Probably significantly cheaper and just as good.  Even if it does fall apart, you can usually get 2-3 units of equivalent Monoprice cables with the cost of an equivalently specced Monster.

Yeah, I'm sure that stuff works just as well.  Honestly though, I think the Monster cables look nicer. :p

I saw that there was some Rocketfish stuff that looked almost identical but was about 2/3 of the price.  Either way, it still really isn't that expensive...maybe about $50 for something like 20 feet of it at the very most.  Even ethernet cable tends to cost more than that locally.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #63 of 124

Quote:
I saw that there was some Rocketfish stuff that looked almost identical but was about 2/3 of the price.  Either way, it still really isn't that expensive...maybe about $50 for something like 20 feet of it at the very most.  Even ethernet cable tends to cost more than that locally.

I don't think that's any kind of great deal. Belden 1309A sells for around $35 for 50 feet.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #64 of 124

Quote:
I don't think that's any kind of great deal. Belden 1309A sells for around $35 for 50 feet.

I don't like rocketfish, they make way too many things for their own good (poop-joe screen protectors etc etc)

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #67 of 124

Quote:
Well, I'm not really trying to defend Monster or anything, just saying that it could be far, far worse.  Like $200 for a two meter long HDMI cable from Monster.

That's true, paying only 2-3x as much as you should I guess is less awful than paying 5-10x as much as you should. Bird flu is also less awful than bubonic plague.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #68 of 124

Quote:

That's true, paying only 2-3x as much as you should I guess is less awful than paying 5-10x as much as you should. Bird flu is also less awful than bubonic plague.

To be honest, I'd never pay for those cables myself.  It was my dad who bought them, not me. :p

But unfortunately, it's pretty hard to get good quality cables in Canada for a reasonable price.  Ordering things from monoprice, for example, is pretty expensive due to shipping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back