tips for increasing sound quality of an ipod
Aug 30, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to get the same effect by normalizing an MP3 versus doing it before making it into an MP3?

Yes. Just use the program MP3Gain. There is also a version for AAC called AACGain.

Rick

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #47 of 86
Quote:

Is it possible to get the same effect by normalizing an MP3 versus doing it before making it into an MP3?

Yes, just don't use the same tools (ie. a sound editor) to do it or you're going to need to recompress it, which is a huge no-no for lossy encoding - it'll sound like crap. This only works if you use MP3gain.

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #48 of 86
Try IGain instead for AAC, its a fronts end that works with iTunes and does whole albums, and analyzes the proper gain setting. Saves alot of trial and error and makes my iPod Nano sound grrrrrrrrrreat! It uses AACGain. It is performed after encoding so it keeps the whole process fast and easy. Analyzes the "proper" gain for each song or whole albums at a time. What a deal!!!!!!!! With my SR 60's and proper gain adjustment, I am very please with the iPod headphone combo even without an amp.

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #49 of 86
One last question before I go about pulling the trigger with MP3gain on my collection... if I don't use the iPod EQ would there be any negatives to even using MP3gain?

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

One last question before I go about pulling the trigger with MP3gain on my collection... if I don't use the iPod EQ would there be any negatives to even using MP3gain?

No. I don't see any drawbacks to using MP3Gain. The program saves the original gain values, so if you want to revert them to the way they were you can do so.

There's no sound quality lost using the program, so I say go for it.

Rick

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #52 of 86
sorry for being an ignoramous guys, but can i safely assume that good source material (e.g: mp3 LAME v0,v1 or even v2 settings) played through a decent headphone/amp combo with the ipod EQ set on 'flat' is the "general" answer to good SQ experience on the ipod? (with or without some kind of normalization applied to the sound.)

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #57 of 86
Okay, I guess I need a "normalization for dummies" thread. I'm still pretty new to the whole DAP thing. Just got my iMod. I downloaded mp3gain. Can I take my iTunes audio and plug it into mp3gain, normalize it, and then put the files back into iTunes? I read all the material in the help section of the program and could not find anything on how this works with iTunes (or any other music file manager). I'm assuming there must be a way since some of you all have ipods in your sigs.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #58 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I guess I need a "normalization for dummies" thread. I'm still pretty new to the whole DAP thing. Just got my iMod. I downloaded mp3gain. Can I take my iTunes audio and plug it into mp3gain, normalize it, and then put the files back into iTunes? I read all the material in the help section of the program and could not find anything on how this works with iTunes (or any other music file manager). I'm assuming there must be a way since some of you all have ipods in your sigs.

Mp3gain works with music files. Drag the music files into mp3 gain and normalise them by album (assuming you have full albums, which you should
tongue.gif
).

Next time you open up iTunes it should update everything.

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #59 of 86
Tried that, already. When I drag from iTunes to mp3gain, nothing comes over with the drag. The mp3gain box is as empty as ever. I'm assuming the "music files" you are referring to are the ones I see in iTunes. Am I the only one who wasn't seemingly born the the ability to manipulate this stuff?
confused.gif
Makes me wish for simpler times. Ah, to be able to put a CD on the transport and press play. I miss that.
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #60 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried that, already. When I drag from iTunes to mp3gain, nothing comes over with the drag. The mp3gain box is as empty as ever. I'm assuming the "music files" you are referring to are the ones I see in iTunes.

hey there i m new to this programme as well...but i think ur problem is just that sometimes itunes doesnt work when u just drag the songs from the itunes to some other windows or more probably mp3gain doesnt support draggin from itunes ....maybe you can try add the songs manually by clickin the "Add Folder" button on the top....

and now my situation:
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next time you open up iTunes it should update everything.

i hv done the track gain thing for my whole library with the itunes CLOSED...n it took some 10odd hrs to do it -..- anyway after that i sync my ipod then i just wanted to check if the sync works but it turned out to be that the songs on my ipod r still gain-less....(i used mp3gain to check 1 of the songs on my ipod)....so what do i do now? anything to (1)make itunes update the volume information of my songs n (2) so of those in my ipod??
otherwise i would hv to delete my library n add all those 40gb(i know this is little compared to u guys
rs1smile.gif
) of songs to my ipod again

thank you guys!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back