Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #212 of 1,162
Quote:

I believe you want to go through the CCK into a powered hub, which the UD100 is plugged into.

I think so, tzjin. I actually want a portable solution. I don't want my rig to be sticked to a wall if I use a powered usb hub. The only way is to use a portable power bank, like this one : http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13072382#
But the chain begins to be long : iPhone 4s > CCK > usb hub > power bank > dac !  What kind of portable rig is it ?!?

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #213 of 1,162
A not quite portable one. To be honest, the iPhone 4 and 4s both have fantastic headphone outs (compared to most MP3 players).

And it appears the local Post Office has already received my UD100. I'll post impressions after I listen to it a bit.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #214 of 1,162
Quote:
A not quite portable one. To be honest, the iPhone 4 and 4s both have fantastic headphone outs (compared to most MP3 players).

And it appears the local Post Office has already received my UD100. I'll post impressions after I listen to it a bit.

You are right, tzjin, specially for the iPhone 4s whose audio chip is a really good one. But I think that the native sound quality of this idevice can be improved by using an external dac. The UD100 sounds great, but it seems that it is impossible to pair it with the iPhone, neither with the iPad 3. I have tried this afternoon, and it did not work. The dac requires too much power, as indicated on the iPad screen when connecting the UD100 through the CCK !

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #215 of 1,162
Hi all, Happy New Year!

I know it's been awhile since I've posted, but I just wanted to post my (old) followup pic of my portable rig with the ud100 and e6 paired with my Galaxy s3.  Still enjoying the combo as it is a great sounding rig and very pocketable despite the multiple connections required.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #217 of 1,162
hi mr lyonnais and tzjin

j have both ipod touch 4 and iphone 4s, and the dac of the 4s is better than ipod 4, when j plugged them  on my dock jbl "on beat extrem",  the sound with 4s is cool but while ipod 4 it s too sharp .
This is strange, the internal dac must not be the same.

I also ask the question when you plug the iphone or ipod on the dock, does the analog signal passes through the 30-pin connector or a digital signal. It tells you something ??(excuse me for my english)

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #218 of 1,162
Quote:
hi mr lyonnais and tzjin

j have both ipod touch 4 and iphone 4s, and the dac of the 4s is better than ipod 4, when j plugged them  on my dock jbl "on beat extrem",  the sound is with 4s is cool and  too sharp with ipod 4.

Hi, manu54. I've never used the ipod, so I can't do a comparison with the iPhone 4s. Have you received the dac you ordered ?

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #220 of 1,162
The 30-pin connector provides a line-out, which means it bypasses the DAC but not the amp amp but not the DAC. In other words, it's an analog signal. This then passes through an amplifier before reaching your headphones.

And yes, the iPhone 4 (and 4s) are much better sounding than the iPod Touches.

Edit: Thank you mrAdrian for the catch.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #221 of 1,162
Quote:
The 30-pin connector provides a line-out, which means it bypasses the AMP but not the DAC. In other words, it's an analog signal. This then passes through an amplifier before reaching your headphones.

And yes, the iPhone 4 (and 4s) are much better sounding than the iPod Touches.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #222 of 1,162
Anyways, my UD100 arrived today, and I am quite impressed with the increased fidelity. Most notably, bass is much tighter and puncher, and imaging is miles ahead of the DAC/Amp in my laptop. I am actually running the UD100 without an amplifier at the moment. It has driven my MH1C, K550, and YH-3 with no problem at all. 

I'm quite happy with this little over-achiever. Now I just have to make sure not to lose it.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #224 of 1,162
Quote:
Hello mr Lyonnais

J have décided toi buy the hifimediy sabre, not the ud100. J have ordered it the 01 january , i am waiting now :)
I gonna use it with my dock jbl "on beat extrem" that ils a very very very good dock. Trust me !

Manu

Manu,

Did you purchase the newly released HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC (external PSU) . 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + Coaxial OUT?

Quote from site:
The newest member of our Sabre DAC family features an USB Isolator chip (adum4160) that isolates the DAC from USB power. It can then be supplied with an external clean power supply. It accepts a wide range of DC and AC voltages. Batteries can also be used for optimal performance. 
This makes it slightly less portable than the smaller brother, theUSB powered Sabre DAC, but might offer even better performance! We still recommend the smaller dac for ultimate portability and convenience.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #225 of 1,162
Quote:

I'm not the person you asked, but I've bought a Sabre USB DAC from HIFiMeDIY, although it's the smaller one that was reviewed by someone here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifimediy-sabre-usb-dac/reviews/8059

I posted some basic impressions as a comment to the person's review above (the third comment in the review page) so I won't repeat everything here, but I basically like the DAC quite a bit for the price (~US$50, including delivery), especially with the JDSLabs C421.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back