Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #196 of 1,162
Quote:
I've had no problems with their shipping. First unit died and they even sent me a replacement unit for no charges at all!
Be patient, it might just be Christmas and new years delaying your local postmen.

Hi, mrAdrian ! I will be patient ! What did the first unit die by ? What source do you use with the ud100 ?

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #197 of 1,162
Hi, mrAdrian ! I will be patient ! What did the first unit die by ? What source do you use with the ud100 ?

Hey the jack was super tight on the first one, me and dad together pulled the 3.5 plug out; and then it became super loose. However it still worked fine until one day crosstalk developed.

The second one is good.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #198 of 1,162
Just got the UD100 through the mail over the holidays, and have only tried it through the Mac Mini, outputting to a Bravo v2 (unmodded) hybrid amp, then to DIY Magnum v3 phones.  Too early to give any meaningful impressions, so I will check back in on that after some time.

However, I am having trouble with using the DAC through a Dell Latittude E6320 laptop.

My setup is using iTunes with the Dell laptop, streaming audio through my Mac Mini.  I am using Windows XP, and something really strange is happening.

If my laptop is on mute when I plug the UD100 in, the iTunes music through the laptop will remain mute no matter what I do afterwards (no sound despite unmuted), but if my laptop has sound when I plug the UD100 in, the iTunes music laptop will always have sound coming out of the built in speakers, but not through the UD100.  That said, other sounds, such as YouTube, clicking sounds and such, does come through the UD100 under both circumstances.

Is there a setting in iTunes that I have to toggle with to make sure it works with the UD100?  I have checked under control panel, and the USB DAC is in fact the default playback device.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #199 of 1,162
iTunes is a bit fickle. Since I'm guessing you have all your music and playlists set up with it, you could also try Doubletwist. It will automatically sync with your library, and hopefully will have fewer playback issues.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #200 of 1,162
Thanks.  After rebooting a couple of times, with and without the UD100 plugged in during reboot, the problem is solved.

I am now using Dell E6420 (iTunes) --> UD100--> Alo Rx MkII --> Heavily modded Fostex T50RP, and I must say, this little USB DAC is dynamite!  The sound is smooth and sweet, loads of details.  I have been listening to Radiohead all morning, and even though I not immersed in the music, as I am working, I am picking up new details from the music.  I have never heard of those little percussion sounds coming out of Hail to the Thief during the very beginnings of the song (when those guitar reverb sounds came in), not even with my ESP950s, but I am hearing them now.  The sounds are natural and smooth.

I can't wait to plug this into my Koss ESP-950 and listen to that combo.

Granted I have never used an external DAC before, but this $52 is money well spent.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #201 of 1,162
I'm looking into this to feed a Schiit Magni, as I only have 44.1 stuff so I thought I might as well save $50 and get this over the Modi. Think it'll be a good combo, or should I just go for the Modi?

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #202 of 1,162
The 24-bit is more important than the 44.1 khz, since your 16-bit songs now do not suffer bit loss from digitally attenuating (turning the volume down via software) the signal. I very much doubt the difference will be audible though.

And since both seem to be very close to the ODAC in quality, I'm assuming that they are very close to each other in performance as well.

Ultimately, it's up to style and convenience now. Both companies have records of great customer service, though Stoner Acoustics understandably will take longer to ship a replacement. The tiny size of the UD100 is great, but the matching factor of the Modi is fantastic as well, especially since the cabling will be super convenient. You'll get a Modi more quickly, and will have supported a US business (America!). One is portable, the other is much less so. You might misplace one, but I very much doubt you'll ever lose the other. There's obviously a price difference, which also correlates to a difference in the quality of casing. 

Unfortunately at this point, you're going to have to decide for yourself. And if the decision bugs you too much, pray and flip a coin. Heads for Schiit and tails for a Stoner, Best of luck!

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #203 of 1,162
Hello mr Lyonnais

J have décided toi buy the hifimediy sabre, not the ud100. J have ordered it the 01 january , i am waiting now :)
I gonna use it with my dock jbl "on beat extrem" that ils a very very very good dock. Trust me !

Manu

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #204 of 1,162
Quote:
The 24-bit is more important than the 44.1 khz, since your 16-bit songs now do not suffer bit loss from digitally attenuating (turning the volume down via software) the signal. I very much doubt the difference will be audible though.

And since both seem to be very close to the ODAC in quality, I'm assuming that they are very close to each other in performance as well.

Ultimately, it's up to style and convenience now. Both companies have records of great customer service, though Stoner Acoustics understandably will take longer to ship a replacement. The tiny size of the UD100 is great, but the matching factor of the Modi is fantastic as well, especially since the cabling will be super convenient. You'll get a Modi more quickly, and will have supported a US business (America!). One is portable, the other is much less so. You might misplace one, but I very much doubt you'll ever lose the other. There's obviously a price difference, which also correlates to a difference in the quality of casing. 

Unfortunately at this point, you're going to have to decide for yourself. And if the decision bugs you too much, pray and flip a coin. Heads for Schiit and tails for a Stoner, Best of luck!

thanks much ^_^ Maybe I will go with the Modi...

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #205 of 1,162
Received mine two days ago. It works well with my old Acer Aspire. Sounds great, very detailed. However doesn't work with my MSI laptop. Also doesn't work with the iPhone 4s (jailbreak + CCK + CameraConnector tweak...) : "the connected usb device requires too much power" ! I have never read something like that about the ud100 working with other smartphones ! Has something be changed in the architecture of the ud100 since it has been launched ? I've noticed that the sound is quite loud with my iems (the ultimate ears ue700) directly plugged in the jack of the dac...
My setup : Acer Aspire > foobar > ud100 > ue700.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #209 of 1,162
Quote:
Hey mr lyonnais buy un hub USB alimenté
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, Manu54 ! Is it possible to connect a powered USB hub to the iPhone through the Camera Connector Kit, and then plug the UD100 dac in it ? I can't figure all that chain !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back