Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Dec 14, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #181 of 1,162

/ If you're looking for a one-box solution I'd just get an ODAC+Objective2 box and be done forever. :) 

Forever?  Lol at u.  There are better DAC's out there than the ODAC, like Sabre ESS's own ES9018.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #182 of 1,162
Quote:

Forever?  Lol at u.  There are better DAC's out there than the ODAC, like Sabre ESS's own ES9018.

There are better cars out there than a Mercedes S class. Doesn't mean you need to upgrade for a better driving experience. All you'll get it is a different experience. 

Or, if you don't like cars, there are no "better" DACs in general. Just slightly different ones. I am talking about any decently built DAC that is. Not a $10 usb soundcard from Walmart. Point I am trying to make is I can imagine people buying the ODAC/O2 combo and just be satisfied with that for the rest of their lives without feeling the need to upgrade. Like for some people the HD600 is enough. They don't need the Stax SR009 to be able to enjoy their music. The law of dimishing returns. That law is especially significant among DACs.

Don't lol at me. Save the lolling for the people that still think you're a girl. :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #184 of 1,162
Quote:

As a DAC only and feeding my Pico Slim, and ignoring all else but the sound, I think I slightly prefer the little bit of extra transparency and space of the Hifimediy SABRE DAC over the UD100, but it's pretty close.  They both beat the crap out of my old $49 Headstage DAC cable (PCM2706 all by itself), and either one of these would be an excellent inexpensive DAC upgrade for something like my 3MOVE, XM5, or EF2 amps with older built-in PCM2702E JPN DACs in them.  The line-out sound quality of these $50 DACs comes very close to the line-out of the uDAC-2 SE and Audioengine D1 that cost times as much, but when driving headphones they fall behind and that's where your Stepdance comes in.

If I absolutely needed the smallest possible DAC to feed an amp, I would not have a problem with picking the UD100 over the Hifimediy if that one was too big.  But I just can't think of a time when that would be an issue for me, and I like to consider the extra features that I might be able to use some day.   Note, the UD100 does sound more spacious when driving an amp than when driving a headphone directly.  When driving a headphone it just sounds more compressed and bland, but it's really clean and more lively when driving an amp.  So keep that in mind.

I will be trying these DACs with my iPad 3 and camera connection kit, and if they both work the HiFimediy might still be a better choice because of the short flexible cable that would prevent the DAC from acting as a lever in the CCK that's plugged into the 30-pin jack.

Yeah, I would prefer to use these as a DAC only, but it's nice to be able to drive a headphone in a pinch.  That wouldn't be a long term solution for me.  Even a cMoy plugged into these DACs should be a big upgrade. 

How did you go with trying little suckers with the CCK & ipad?? Would love to use the Hifymediy sabre with M100 & ipad mini as a portable solution.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #188 of 1,162
The new stoner acoustics desktop DAC will be out in May/June next year!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #189 of 1,162
hello,

j tries to order a UD100, I went on the blog stoner acoustics, and I sent an email to his email address this morning to find out how to do it, but I have not the answer. Is this the right method??
J leave in france.

thank you

Manu

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #190 of 1,162
Quote:
hello,

j tries to order a UD100, I went on the blog stoner acoustics, and I sent an email to his email address this morning to find out how to do it, but I have not the answer. Is this the right method??
J leave in france.

thank you

Manu

It is holiday, so give them some time.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #194 of 1,162
Hello...
I've ordered mine 24 days ago. I am still wainting for it... I hope this tiny dac will work with the iPhone 4s ! The Apple's Camera Connection Kit (made for the iPad) + The CameraConnector tweak from bigBoss (Cydia) should help, even if the 30pin/usb connector provides a very instable usb connection to the iPhone. Yesterday I've managed to write a text with Office2 using a usb Compaq keyboard ! So...
Manu54 : avec quelle source comptes-tu utiliser l'ud100 ?

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #195 of 1,162
I've had no problems with their shipping. First unit died and they even sent me a replacement unit for no charges at all!

Be patient, it might just be Christmas and new years delaying your local postmen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back