Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Oct 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #91 of 1,162
BTW, using my JH5s on my sansa Clip Zip and they sound great! Also pretty much zero hiss, which makes it even more painful listening to the waterfall that accompanies my galaxy s3 headphone jack 
frown.gif
.  Too bad I can't listen to pandora on my clip zip.  Can't wait for the ud100 to get here.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #93 of 1,162
The UD100 was not designed to be used directly with headphones.  It is meant to provide a fixed level out to a separate amplifier.  

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #94 of 1,162
Quote:
Hey guys, long time iphone user here who just got the samsung galaxy s3.  I'm loving this phone, but only recently started using it as my music player.  My second big purchase along with the phone is a pair of custom iems, the JH5 Pros.  I love the new iems, but straight of the headphone jack of the s3 I get tons of hiss, which I believe is due to the low impedance of the JH5s.  After a lot of research on the forums, I decided to take the plunge and order the stoner acoustics ud100 as this seems to be the most portable solution available to get rid of the terrible hiss.
   However, now I'm worried about plugging the JH5s directly into the ud100 as it seems volume control might become an issue.  I'm assuming I'll be able to adjust the volume directly on my phone, or does the ud100 simply function as a lineout with a fixed volume? Should I also consider purchasing a small amp to pair with the ud100 or will I be ok plugging my headphones in directly.  I've seen danba's posts showing that there are some users satisfied with no amp.  I'm just curious if anyone has more info about this.

Have a look at the Fiio E6. Small, affordable - and a surprisingly good amp. Even has basic EQ functions incl Bass Boost which is quite nice. Its under $30 if memory serves. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #95 of 1,162
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone tried this with a Mac? I contacted Stoner and they got back to me saying...

"We can't comment much on MAC output as we don't know the designs and specifications on it"...

I might be leaning towards the ODAC again in that case. 

This seems like an amazingly promising DAC - but if it wont be better than the DAC in my MAC (rhyme time)... doesn't make sense!

The impressions I posted earlier are with using it on a Macbook Pro retina.  So yes, it works on a Mac.  Macs can also do 24/192 asynchronous without needing to install drivers, so when you upgrade to something else you are all set.  You will upgrade because you will be hooked...  Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #96 of 1,162
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be shopping for a small portable amp.  The e6 looks promising, but I'm curious to see if anyone can recommend a tiny amp, perhaps a bic lighter size cmoy or something even smaller if it exists.  As you can see I'm placing all the emphasis on portability (with little to no hiss) and the least amount of pocket clutter.  I think I'll spring for a real dac/amp down the road, but for now I just want a rig that is ultra-portable.

Karliol if you email them at stoneracoustics@gmail.com  they got back to me within 24 hours and I've placed my order within 24 hours as well.  Try that email.

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #97 of 1,162
Quote:

The impressions I posted earlier are with using it on a Macbook Pro retina.  So yes, it works on a Mac.  Macs can also do 24/192 asynchronous without needing to install drivers, so when you upgrade to something else you are all set.  You will upgrade because you will be hooked...  Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet.

Great news - dont know how your impressions post slipped off my radar! Wouldnt you say its better to go for the ODAC?

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #101 of 1,162
Quote:
Great news - dont know how your impressions post slipped off my radar! Wouldnt you say its better to go for the ODAC?

Well, personally I'm not interested in anything that the ODAC guy has to sell.  He ran the uDAC-2 into the ground in his posts, due to measurements alone (esp THD at -0 dbfs), and ignored the high audible level of sound quality at any input level less than -0 dbfs.  And, zilch0md thought the ODAC had some issues in it's sound quality anyway, if I recall.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #102 of 1,162
Well, I finally received my UD100 today. It departed from LA on October the 2nd and I believe that USPS used a three legged mule to carry the letter across the US to the Midwest, because it took 17 days!  

Anyway, best $49 I have spend on any smaller sized audio gear. I have been using the UD100 with an Arrow 4G amp and a pair of T-Peos H-100 hybrid IEM's for a couple of hours.  Very impressive sounding combo, probably the best I have heard from a compact/ultra light setup. I already know that I will use the UD100 much more often than I initially intended. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #103 of 1,162
Oct 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #105 of 1,162
Received my UD100 today.
Posted Monday, got it in the morning today.
Currently using it amp-less at the moment but the difference is there.
Great value as well.

Can you please confirm that you can adjust the volume using the control on your source ? Assuming it's an Android device because I already know that on Windows the volume cannot be control.

Thanks! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back