Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Aug 31, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #766 of 1,162

Is there a difference between the Desktop O2 vs Portable O2 in terms of audio quality?
It seems like they only sell the portable o2....

Sound quality should be about the same. The desktop O2 is just a portable O2 without battery, and have the power jack move to the back for a cleaner look. The O2 designer was planning to design a different desktop dedicated version of O2, but he disappeared awhile back. Afterward, some just make tweak to his original portable O2 design and make it a little more desktop friendly.

I ordered a 120 the other day. How would you rate the 120 compared to the odac?

ODAC sounds pretty much like UD100, but with support of 24/96. UD100 / ODAC has a classic ESS ES9023 sound for being very wide, open and have really good upper detail. The PCM5102 in UD110 in comparison has better texture over the mid and lower range. With UD120, it is really more like a good blend of the two, where you get better soundstage and upper detail than UD110, but also better texture over ES9023.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #767 of 1,162
@ClieOS
what openion do you have if i am offered  used go vibe martini at 63 usd ,how well does it perform does it has any prominent problems etc,i am paring it with the ud120 and my vsd 3s.dont have huge budget max would be around 60 usd ,was planning to get the e6 but never had a good deal at ebay ,lowyat etc maybe you have cheap 2nd hand ones >.<

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #770 of 1,162
are these available in Asia or out in the market? I can't seem to find one, even on ebay and amazon.

I believe the best way is to send them an email. Even though I live in Malaysia (where Stoner Acoustic also based in), I can't get it via other local online web store either, even Jaben.

I sent an email to them and they replied pretty fast( pls take in account Malaysia time is GMT +8, they do need sleep too) for the total price including shipping + payment method, easy as that.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #772 of 1,162
Tossing up on what i should buy now.....
Fiio X3 - Both DAP and DAC.
or
UD120 + O2 - DAC + AMP.

Is the SQ alot better between the Fiio X3 and UD120? the Fiio X3 uses the WM8740 DAC.

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #773 of 1,162
or
UD120 + O2 - DAC + AMP.

Is the SQ alot better between the Fiio X3 and UD120? the Fiio X3 uses the [COLOR=545454]WM8740 DAC.[/COLOR]

I think the Fiio X3 will be a more warm sounding combo overall and I think the UD120 + O2 combo will be a better choice but of course it is not as portable as X3 alone. Besides, the UD120 + O2 combo needs a source like laptop or phone.

I got a DX50 on the way to me by mail. But I'm just curious is there anyway to just use the DX50 as a source to the UD120 like using the coaxial out.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #774 of 1,162
  @ClieOS
what openion do you have if i am offered  used go vibe martini at 63 usd ,how well does it perform does it has any prominent problems etc,i am paring it with the ud120 and my vsd 3s.dont have huge budget max would be around 60 usd ,was planning to get the e6 but never had a good deal at ebay ,lowyat etc maybe you have cheap 2nd hand ones >.<

Have not heard it myself, but it would seem Go-Vibe Martini is more or less a variation of the classic cmoy implementation but running on only 3V, so I doubt it will be anywhere great. I will strongly recommend paying $10 more for a E11K @ USD70.

are these available in Asia or out in the market? I can't seem to find one, even on ebay and amazon.

You can find Stoner Acoustics email address here: http://stoneracoustics.blogspot.com/

Send them an email and wait for the reply. They are a very small operation so they handle everything by themselves.

Find jaben,yes hard to come by any info that's why I am asking for help
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't think Jaben will be able to help you there. They don't carry Stoner Acoustics' stuffs AFAIK.

or
UD120 + O2 - DAC + AMP.

Is the SQ alot better between the Fiio X3 and UD120? the Fiio X3 uses the WM8740 DAC.

You should consider the practicality of your choice first, not the SQ. Buy the one you are likely to use more.
I think the Fiio X3 will be a more warm sounding combo overall and I think the UD120 + O2 combo will be a better choice but of course it is not as portable as X3 alone. Besides, the UD120 + O2 combo needs a source like laptop or phone.

I got a DX50 on the way to me by mail. But I'm just curious is there anyway to just use the DX50 as a source to the UD120 like using the coaxial out.

No.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #775 of 1,162
owh my bad i thought he was asking about the ,amp
hmmp i actually bought the amp already ,if its nowhere near good i might sell it to get the e6 or e11k ,because i can easily sell it for more than what i payed,its basically new just few weeks old ,still has warranty

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #776 of 1,162
As Jaben said, we don't bring DIY stuff so I don't think Jaben will bring in their rival stuff. Direct contact Stoner Acoustic and they quite fast. BTW, Owned UD100 and ODAC. I think the only UD100 problem for me is no RCA output and tend to be harsh. YMMV, UD100 have more energy and tighter bass. While ODAC is clean, transparent, relaxed and tad bright. If UD100 can be on par iwth ODAC, I'm not surprise if UD120 can be better.

However my question is how would someone define better. Owned UD100, Aune T1, Modi, ODAC and heard Benchmark DAC. They definitely better than each other but I would never pay for more than ODAC price. The reason I dislike the idea of using UD1xx for my rig is, I dislike the idea of 3.5mm cable to RCA. Lol. To be honest, I only notice differences between my DAC collection if I analyze or compare them. Other wise for sit and listening session, the differences is not really significant like on board headphone jack vs UD1xx. Spec wise, seems like UD120 is better than ODAC, cost less, and less space. :D

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #777 of 1,162
as stated again ,i thought he was refering to the amp i just bought instead of the DAC ,however regarding the DIY part ,they sell cmoys so .....
u meant ,u cant distinguish much difference from your rig 3.5 /ud 120 ?.whole world of difference ,unless your RIG has up to par sound card,then of course there wont be much difference 

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #778 of 1,162
  as stated again ,i thought he was refering to the amp i just bought instead of the DAC ,however regarding the DIY part ,they sell cmoys so .....
u meant ,u cant distinguish much difference from your rig 3.5 /ud 120 ?.whole world of difference ,unless your RIG has up to par sound card,then of course there wont be much difference 

Are you replying to me? Because I was answering Poimandres regarding UD1xx and ODAC. And as for the Cmoy, used to meet  him and ask about O2 amp and he said they don't bring in DIY stuff. Few month later, got Cmoy in their product list. So... No comment. And again if you replying me, what is 3.5/ UD120? Kinda lost here.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #780 of 1,162
sorry ,kinda studying for my finals dint check my grammar ,
what i meant was 
are you saying that there was not much of a difference if you plug into your rig's 3.5mm port vs the UD120 ?,
because the rest of us we had major differences at least for me
,because my laptop does not have a dedicated sound card,so i was referring that maybe you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back