Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Mar 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #481 of 1,162
Mar 29, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #483 of 1,162
Mine is dead silent with JDSlabs c5.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #484 of 1,162
  Anyone face a problem where using the UD100 causes other devices to stop functioning?

In my case, when I plug it in, my mouse starts to have intermittent freezing. Problem goes away when I plug it out.

Yes this has been a issue for me, it causes my logitec unified transceiver to glitch out on occasion, the problem is solved by changing how i plug in the dac to my computer. Simple fix(works for me at least) hook up like this, computer usb port - usb extension cable with clip on ferrite bead- UD100

Note about using the ferrite bead, don't loop the cable through it more then once or it can cause problems. In case you aren't familiar here is a picture of what it looks like.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/647961996/1P-TDK-5mm-Clip-on-RFI-EMI-RF-Radio-Audio-Video-Cable-Noise-Filter-Ferrite-Core.jpg 

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #485 of 1,162

Yes this has been a issue for me, it causes my logitec unified transceiver to glitch out on occasion, the problem is solved by changing how i plug in the dac to my computer. Simple fix(works for me at least) hook up like this, computer usb port - usb extension cable with clip on ferrite bead- UD100

Note about using the ferrite bead, don't loop the cable through it more then once or it can cause problems. In case you aren't familiar here is a picture of what it looks like.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/647961996/1P-TDK-5mm-Clip-on-RFI-EMI-RF-Radio-Audio-Video-Cable-Noise-Filter-Ferrite-Core.jpg 

Thank you for the reply!

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #486 of 1,162

Thank you for the reply!

Sure thing, be interesting to find out if that works for you. 

Is anyone using the UD110 with a Galaxy s4, specifically the i545 from Verizon running android 4.3? I inquidered about ordering the UD110 v2 and they said it was only working through usb recorder pro with the s3 and s4 but didn't specify a model or software version.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #487 of 1,162
  hahah sooo i dug through this whole thread & there hasn't been been a direct comparison of the U110 against the dragonfly audioquest v1.2 or the HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC (or the Sabre Tiny or the Sabre Android)

I know all these products fall under the same budget DAC category is most people don't need more than one of em, but anyone has friends w/ an alternative product or goes to a meet, I know a lot of people would love to hear about a direct comparison of just the sonic qualities of each DAC.

any response?

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #490 of 1,162
  Soo.. with a Fiio E6 would be the UD110 fine for IEM only?
Anything better in the same price range, would be this combo better than Fiio E7/E10, Sabre U2?

Thanks! :)

You could get one of the many fiio products that has a built in dac, the ud110 isn't really meant to be the best but its cheap and good enough but so are all the fiio dac/amp combo's. I like the ud100 that i have but it never gets used anymore now that i have the fiio e18.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #491 of 1,162
  Soo.. with a Fiio E6 would be the UD110 fine for IEM only?
Anything better in the same price range, would be this combo better than Fiio E7/E10, Sabre U2?

Thanks! :)

Might not be the best but definitely a very cheap and effective combo! Not only you get to try using Amps and Dacs, but you also get to upgrade separate components later in the stage (E6 might be the one to go first)!

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #492 of 1,162
Now that have the Surface Pro 2, I am rediscovering the UD100. I have the early original one and feeding the Quickstep and Heaven VI, it is sounding pretty darn good. It makes for a nice portable computer surf plus music combo. Using Foobar with the Crossfeed plugin.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #493 of 1,162
  You could get one of the many fiio products that has a built in dac, the ud110 isn't really meant to be the best but its cheap and good enough but so are all the fiio dac/amp combo's. I like the ud100 that i have but it never gets used anymore now that i have the fiio e18.

You think that E18 better sonically than the UD100?

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #495 of 1,162
  You think that E18 better sonically than the UD100?

The UD100 is not meant for driving headphones directly its only a line out so no not comparing that, I'm talking about the cost of buying a dac and amp one option would be to just buy a dac/amp combo and have the benefit of maybe being a battery powered portable. My comment about not using the UD100 anymore is because i no longer have a need for it. The UD100 is vary clear and has such a low thd its not even noticeable, one of the things i like about it is how invisible it is. If you didn't know it was there you'd never guess. Great product, it got many hours of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back