Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jan 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #451 of 1,162
Just FYI..Not sure which windows you are running ( I am assuming Windows 7 by the looks) .

Based on the driver and hardware, windows will allow you to select 24bit if it thinks THE DEVICE IS Capable. Example:

So you want to look at the AUDIO DEVICE it references and make sure you have the latest drivers

AND check your USB...If this is a USB device, it needs to ShOW as a USB device (USB AUDIO or the name of the DAC) - NOte how I just added a headset

So if I go to sound the highest it will let me select is 16BIT - That's all the DEVICE is capable of

So unless they give you a special driver that says I AM XYZ DAC CAPABLE OF 24 BIT, the device will not do it otherwise

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #452 of 1,162
@Fabian, congrats.. 
Maybe Stoner acoustics should rewrite the savitech firmware and fix it. 
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #453 of 1,162

Based on the driver and hardware, windows will allow you to select 24bit if it thinks THE DEVICE IS Capable. Example:
So unless they give you a special driver that says I AM XYZ DAC CAPABLE OF 24 BIT, the device will not do it otherwise

Yes, i am running Windows 7. And yes, i know this - and therefore i contacted Stoner Acoustics about that issue. And, no, USB Class 1.0 Audio uses a generic OS-Driver to get the Device working. And when i switch the DacMagic XS to USB 1.0 Mode, it uses the same driver as for the SaviAudio in the UD110v2, because USB Class 1.0 is natively supported by the OS, in this case Windows 7.

At the moment, the UD110v2 does not STATE to the OS, that it IS actually capable of doing 24-Bit, and so it does not show up in the modes-menu. As there is hardly any documentation about the SaviAudio i can only speculate, that there are some values in the EEPROM, which the manufacturer is able to change som parameters of the SaviAudio-Receiver. For example the VID/PID/SerNr, the Name-String of the USB-Device, and maybe the supported streaming-modes, and so on..

kind regards
Fabian

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #454 of 1,162
Fab....exactly....Didn't realize you already knew what was going on !!! Used to posting to newbies (lol) who I have to first explain HOW to get to playback devices, device manager, etc....I guess I should have read more of the thread...SORRY !

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #456 of 1,162
I got a Message from Stoner Acoustics:
 Hi Fabian, Good Morning. Only 16/32bit is enabled in UD110v2. For windows OS that is older than windows 8 64, the UD110v2 needs wasapi, asiio or any direct streaming plugin to work in 32bit processing.

So i think we had some typos in our conversation. Well, i meant 24-bits not 32-bits. 
redface.gif

But - does anyone uses Windows 8 64-Bit? Maybe we should give it a try on Windows 8 - but i have none installed on my PC...

kind regards
Fabian

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #457 of 1,162
I have Stoner Acoustics UD110 v2 on loan from a friend which I tested out this evening. I ran it to Tralucent T1 amp and was rather impressed with the sound.

So much so I instantly went online and placed an order. What a wonder little DAC this is.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #458 of 1,162
  I have Stoner Acoustics UD110 v2 on loan from a friend which I tested out this evening. I ran it to Tralucent T1 amp and was rather impressed with the sound.

So much so I instantly went online and placed an order. What a wonder little DAC this is.

it is really baller. stuck into an usb port, it measures less than 4cm length and its width is just the size of a usb port.

also, stoner acoustics has excellent customer service. i ran into an issue with my ud110v2 and he quickly resolved the issue for me :) i would highly recommend this product & he has great customer service :)

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #459 of 1,162

it is really baller. stuck into an usb port, it measures less than 4cm length and its width is just the size of a usb port.

also, stoner acoustics has excellent customer service. i ran into an issue with my ud110v2 and he quickly resolved the issue for me :) i would highly recommend this product & he has great customer service :)

Customer service is great. Within sending an email I had a reply in 10 minutes,  then within 25 minutes my order was placed and paid for. I couldn't wait to get up again this morning to put this little DAC back into action, super impressed at the sound from this little thing. :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #460 of 1,162
Do a search on the Dragonfly appreciation thread. 

I had three Dragonfly 1.0 (recent veresions -post July 2013) and a version 1.2. 

I did a true blind test for myself.  Then handed it to my musician son and did a true blind test without telling him my preference. We found the EXACT same ranking from best to worst. 

Version 1.0
Version 1.0
Version 1.2
Version 1.0. 

The best of the 1.0 had the best grip, detail, fullness, best solid bass.  The 2nd had the largest soundstage but flabbier bass. #1 and #2 were very very close and both of us went back and forth. THe version 1.2 was good too but was like the 2nd 1.0 without that large sound stages.  The final version 1.0 was a distant fourth - just poorer quality.  All four could be identified in a blind test though the differences between 1 to 3 was more subtle.

UL

Quote:
  Is Dragonfly v1.0 no match to the rest? Is there such a considerable difference in sound quality between old and new versions? Since I am contemplating buying Dragonfly in the near future, your feedback will help. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #461 of 1,162
Originally Posted by head-hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I highly recommend the addition of a USB isolation board and power supply. This opens up the sound considerably and is another worthy purchase. I use these:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=63
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=64
with the upgraded Cardas cable:
http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=173

Why is the USB isolator board needed, when Teradak U9VA provides clean power?

I use separate power supply for hiFace Two and I tried it also with C5D. It helps in both cases.
I use Y type USB cable, the joined end is plugged in into the device, for example hiFace.
On the other end of the cable, the data branch leads to computer and the power branch to a separate power supply.
The data branch does not contain +5V wire, only data+, data- and ground.
The power branch contains +5V and ground.
I considered to buy the same Teradak power supply as you, but I tried some USB chargers and
I found the very old iPod 5.5G charger (maybe 2007) as well usable.

If the +5V wire is not part of the data connection with computer, do you mean the USB isolator has any advantage?

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #462 of 1,162
I'm selling  sold my as new UD110 V2 if anyones interested. I purchased on impulse after hearing a demo unit, and I love the sound. The only problem is I listen at night while laying down. Listening to music through out the day at my laptop desk or work PC is to distracting and something I'm not comfortable doing. So it's up for grabs as new less than 24 hours old. The sale can be found in my signature.

To contribute towards the thread I've taken some product photo's to be logged in the threads gallery for safe keeping.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #463 of 1,162
Couldn't find it elsewhere, but what is the usual response time after inquiring about purchasing the ud110? I sent an email to Stoneracoustics@gmail.com a little over a week ago with no response. I am way too anxious to get one after reading through the thread!

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #465 of 1,162
Is it fine with GR07BE without amp? Or which would be the cheapest proper amp to buy?
I read that U2 Sabre is not a good match with the GR07BE, ud110 would be?

:gs1000smile:
I don't see how

How is the u2 not a good match for the gr07? Maybe not Straight from it as its never recommended to do. The u2 to a good amp will be fine with the gr07

Users who are viewing this thread

Back