Tiny audio rack
Feb 9, 2011 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Geruvah

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a small rack to fit onto my desk.It's going to hold just my amp and DAC. Both have a relatively small footprint, so I can use something this small to help save desk space. I have no idea where to even begin such a search.

This pic I found is a prime example of what I'm looking for. Too bad whoever posted it did so 3 years ago and is long gone.

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 26
I made mine with a granite place mat and some chrome door stops glued onto the base.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 26
That looks perfect. I've been looking for something like this too. My amp and dac being spread out are taking up way too much space, but I think I'll need a bigger shelf than in the one in the picture though. 1" X 1" surface area... Spread out and it's 2" X 1"   Way too much space hogged up.

Quote:
So I'm looking for a small rack to fit onto my desk.It's going to hold just my amp and DAC. Both have a relatively small footprint, so I can use something this small to help save desk space. I have no idea where to even begin such a search.

This pic I found is a prime example of what I'm looking for. Too bad whoever posted it did so 3 years ago and is long gone.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 26
I've been browsing the Ikea website for a while now and I can't seem to find anything similar to it either. However, you might be able to DIY it as well. It doesn't like too hard to make as long as you can find someone to cut the glass since that would probably the hardest part. You could also go with a similar rack made out of wood.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
$390.00? outrageous.

Oh yeah, but there are way more expensive racks on audiogon with a similar build quality.  And this thing really is beautiful. Considering some may be putting some expensive equip and nice phones on it, maybe not to some.   YMMV

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
$390.00? outrageous.

Oh yeah, but there are way more expensive racks on audiogon with a similar build quality.  And this thing really is beautiful. Considering some may be putting some expensive equip and nice phones on it, maybe not to some.   YMMV

Like this one?

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs.pl?vopin&1062430831&viewitem&1&showall

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 26
that is true, but there's a reason why some of those racks are expensive; they're more than just pretty pieces of furniture; they're sophisticated audio component 
cool.gif
; they're audiophile racks. audiophiles buy them primarily because they may (or may not) have a part in the system. if you tell me that this little rack sitting on a desk is going to contribute to the SQ of a HP system then is a different story, and since I've no tried it I'm open to possibilities. however, if it's not, and is just a beautiful piece of furniture, then it'd be a complete rip off. furthermore, it'd be wrong and abusive of ALO to charge that much for something just because it is used with audiophile components, but has no part in the sound of the system. I really would have a BIG issue with that. I hope you can see my point.

of course you have the usual skeptics that are gonna tell you that no rack as an effect on the sound...
rolleyes.gif

my 2c  

Quote:
Quote:
$390.00? outrageous.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
that is true, but there's a reason why some of those racks are expensive; they're more than just pretty pieces of furniture; they're sophisticated audio component 
cool.gif
; they're audiophile racks. audiophiles buy them primarily because they may (or may not) have a part in the system. if you tell me that this little rack sitting on a desk is going to contribute to the SQ of a HP system then is a different story, and since I've no tried it I'm open to possibilities. however, if it's not, and is just a beautiful piece of furniture, then it'd be a complete rip off. furthermore, it'd be wrong and abusive of ALO to charge that much for something just because it is used with audiophile components, but has no part in the sound of the system. I really would have a BIG issue with that. I hope you can see my point.

of course you have the usual skeptics that are gonna tell you that no rack as an effect on the sound...
rolleyes.gif

my 2c  

Quote:
Quote:
$390.00? outrageous.

But it's Beech wood... I'm not sure I'd even want my components on something that is such an excellent firewood.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back