Tiny 1/8 adapter for the recessed iphone jack
Sep 10, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 25
Nope. Neither will fit the current iPhone.

But soon there will be a new version, I predict, given the radical price cuts. Clearing out inventory. Reports of a 3G version are popping up in Europe. And, the similar iPod touch doesn't have a recessed jack. Apple got the message.

I trimmed an extension cable, a short one, from Shure. I just cut deeply into the plastic all around the plug. I haven't tested it, but it is even smaller than the adapter to my iRiver, which is very small but still barely doesn't fit the iPhone.

What you need is something skinny and long, not something that makes a right angle. You need the commercial ones Apple sells (or the like), or make one yourself.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 25
I'm having the same problem. I need an adaptor for my iPhone as well. Using the stock buds really sucks.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am pretty sure #1 is 1/8" to 1/4", so that doesn't work. #2 is 1/8" to 1/8", but i really don't think it is slim enough to fit.

For item #1, the description is different from the picture.. So you are probably right.

For item #2, if we shaved a little plastic off the adapter, would it work? I prefer to mess up with a cheap adapter than with my expensive headphone plug.

Edit: Oh, just noticed that we can't use right-angled plugs anyway
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Neither will fit the current iPhone.
I trimmed an extension cable, a short one, from Shure. I just cut deeply into the plastic all around the plug. I haven't tested it, but it is even smaller than the adapter to my iRiver, which is very small but still barely doesn't fit the iPhone.

What you need is something skinny and long, not something that makes a right angle. You need the commercial ones Apple sells (or the like), or make one yourself.

I don't like the long extension cords... I can't believe no one has came up with a slim elegant adapter for the iphone!!

I will try to make one
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 25
Shure sells relatively short extensions. Still, anything more than 3" is too long. Try calling iRiver at 714-619-5260. My iRiver iMP-550 came with a 3 inch adapter, with very slim profile, almost slim enough by half a millimeter. A little plastic trim and it should work.

Here is a long version of the same thing: click. I can't find the short one on their site.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 25
iRiver tells me they discontinued the tiny extension cord. Next best is the Shure with a razor blade. Trouble is, I can't find the short cables that Shure were showing off at the International Meet! Where are they sold?

There is always the Shure product with a microphone:
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P..._phone_adapter

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the Apple tty adapter work? Its smaller:

tty adapter
hero-ttyadapter.jpg

Non-tty plugs work in the tty port, so shouldn't they work in the extension too?

This is not to be used for a headphone plug. I think it is used for the hearing impaired devices or for similar devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back