Tinsel wire cables versus wire with litzes
Nov 1, 2017 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Nejakabo

New Head-Fier
Does less metal in the tinsel wire cables compared to wire with litzes have a clearly noticeable effect on the volume of bass when used with IEMs? -- when used with around the ear headphones? -- through 20m long cable?

Would it make a difference for recording microphones which get power from the plug?

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Not sure what you mean by tinsel? And litz wire comes in many different gauges or thicknesses, so really hard to say if it will have an impact on bass. Given the very low voltage and current involved in headphones, I do not think bass response will be altered that much via a wire change. But there are loads of folks who spend vast sums on aftermarket cables.

As for a 20 meter cable for headphones, I suspect it could have a noticeable impact on sound if using regular headphone cable. Impedance and capacitance could affect highs more than anything, but you would have to look into the specs for the wire to know its affect on bandwidth for a given voltage and current.

As for 48volt powered mic cables, I suspect not, but am not really familiar with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back