Tinnitus - Who has them here and what do you do with it

Tinnitus - Who has it here?

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #64 of 82
Since the 80's. Too many bands I participated in that toured where it was cranked while not thinking of earplugs. LOUD!!! Then came ear bleeding car stereo levels and music under the headphones trying to recapture that sound. When you're young, you're dumb. That's all there is about it. Now I suffer but it doesn't get me down. It's 24/7 and sometimes, it's deafening. Headphones are a Godsend as I might spend 8 hours a day under so I can minimize the sound of being flashbanged in my ears 24/7.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #66 of 82
Apr 18, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #68 of 82
Have you tried white noise at night. I have Echo play ocean sounds and puts me right out. And if not listening to music during the day, I tended to use white noise as well. On the iPhone there is a speaker function, I think part of accessibility menu, that comes up in the widgets pull down menu, that give access to white noise sounds. Or can download an app. Find this all helps.

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #69 of 82
FDA just approved a first of its type Tinnitus treatment....

More info

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #70 of 82
Has anyone tried the tap fingers on the back of neck approach? It can sometimes provide a temporary respite from the ringing. (Place fingers on back of neck-- where neck meets head. Palms over ears. Vigorously tap your fingers on head/neck for 30 seconds or so). Has something to do with temporarily 'knocking out' the relevant ears nerves. Sorry for the un-technical description. I'm no (medical) doctor. I'm sure others can chime in. I've had mild/mixed results with it.

Tinnitus in my right ear flares occasionally. Perhaps related to this was a different issue: a likely fissure of the tympanic membrane (broken ear drum) from a couple decades ago. I was told by a doctor friend: the good news is that heals. But the bad news is you could always now have a sensitivity, like a scar that acts up occasionally. And so it has been.

Some headphones have been more of a problem for me than others. It's frustrating when you love the sound of a particular headphone, but it can aggravate pain/ringing/ear problems.

A thorn in the side of us passionate audiophiles. Or a cross we have to bear.

Relief and good listening to all of you.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #71 of 82
FDA just approved a first of its type Tinnitus treatment....

More info

From what I have read, basically Lenire doesn't seem to be extremely effective. I say this carefully and of course people should do their own research, and perhaps it could be effective for some people. But ... for whatever its worth I have tinnitus and don't have much interest in this device. However I think the work of a scientist named Susan Shore at the U of Michigan and a device she has been working on is very promising. A device based on this work may be released in the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #72 of 82
White noise works best

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #73 of 82
White noise works best

White noise is effective and a relief while youre listening to it, but its not a cure. Personally I stopped listening to it regularly a few weeks after I developed tinnitus because I thought it best to try to get used to it as much as possible, and reach "habituation". When you react to something as a danger the brain sees it as such and spikes a reaction. If you accept it as normal you become much more desensitized to it. This is basically CBT. If you are afraid of/have a bad reaction to dirty things, actively avoiding dirty things and taking measures to never touch them will make the fear worse and more prominent. Desensitizing yourself by allowing yourself to freely touch dirty things or intentionally touch them will lessen or eliminate the reaction. Of course I speak only for myself and whats helpful for one person might not be for another.

https://tinnitus.org.au/management/habituation/

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #74 of 82
White noise is effective and a relief while youre listening to it, but its not a cure. Personally I stopped listening to it regularly a few weeks after I developed tinnitus because I thought it best to try to get used to it as much as possible, and reach "habituation". When you react to something as a danger the brain sees it as such and spikes a reaction. If you accept it as normal you become much more desensitized to it. This is basically CBT. If you are afraid of/have a bad reaction to dirty things, actively avoiding dirty things and taking measures to never touch them will make the fear worse and more prominent. Desensitizing yourself by allowing yourself to freely touch dirty things or intentionally touch them will lessen or eliminate the reaction. Of course I speak only for myself and whats helpful for one person might not be for another.

https://tinnitus.org.au/management/habituation/
Yes, concur. I would add that at least for me, mediation is another technique that enables me to acknowledge the presence of tinnitus but not focus or fixate on it...it is there but I relegate it to a less intrusive state. This is very helpful when listening to music to enjoy the music and largely keeps at bay distracting thoughts of "oh, I wish that tinnitus wasn't hissing away in the background".

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #75 of 82
Well... I hope something works soon~ getting a little annoyed at night with the loud ringing
Did you ever get checked out by a dentist? If it is Bruxism (grinding your teeth while you sleep) then a mouth guard at night should alleviate the symptom (tinnitus). As others have said Tinnitus isn’t always related to hearing loss. Even a cheap over the counter $20 night guard should help until you can get into see the dentist. Assuming Bruxism or TMJ is the issue of course, which is why it’s important to confirm with a medical professional, ENT, Dentist, oral surgeon etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back