Tinnitus spike while listening to quiet music
Mar 26, 2021 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

matts19

100+ Head-Fier
Am I the only one who is experiencing this? I have a couple of questions around this...

When my first tinnitus started (both ears), I had only been listening to music on headphones for 3 months, at 60 decibel, never loud - I could always hear the typing on the keyboard or my wife speaking to me. I was quite surprised to develop tinnitus at 60 decibel. It is not caused by caffeine, fatigue or anything else because this started after 3 months of starting this headphone hobby. That said, I listened about 10-12 hours almost every day. I never thought 60db would be harmful when experts said 85db at 8 hours would be ok?

I always had a bit of hyperacusis on my right ear after my friend shouted in my ear loudly at young age (decades ago - but there was no hearing loss from it and ringing was temporary), which is why I never listen at more than 60 decibels in the first place. After I developed permanent (yet mild) tinnitus recently, it gets easily spiked, by just listening to music for a short while (more via headphones than loudspeakers), mostly on the right side, but on the left side too sometimes. When this happens the ringing subsides to the baseline level (mild) within a minute. But I would never try music again for a couple of days. How can I make sense of this - do I happen to be one of those rare people with extremely fragile ear or something ? I am 48 years old BTW. I still consider my hearing to be near normal (maybe a bit of loss, but there is no inconvenience of any kind, as I can still hear whispers of others at distance).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 6
There ought to be some good hearing doctors in LA. Don't get medical advice online, seriously.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 6
There ought to be some good hearing doctors in LA. Don't get medical advice online, seriously.
TBH, I value tinnitus sufferers personal anecdotes more than ear doctors who don't have tinnitus. Audiologists may be able to give me accurate measurements on my hearing but what else can they do when it comes to tinnitus other than putting me through sound therapy which is waste of money for mild tinnitus.....at least with anecdotal experiences I can relate to others and learn from them. :)

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 6
I suffer from bilateral tinnitus, the funny thing is, listening to music through my headphones makes it go away, until I take off my headphones.

I think listening to tunes for many hours at average volume messed my ears up.

If it’s keeping you awake at nights do what I did, go to my doctor and get sleeping pills, that way you will get atleast 8 hours of tinnitus free hearing, you just won’t remember about it.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 6
I think you had because of the 10-12 hrs using the headphones, even if you are listening to 60decibels. 10-12 hours is a bit too long when using earphones or headphones. It is better to just listen to audio without this. What was the medical advice given to you?

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 6
If it’s keeping you awake at nights do what I did, go to my doctor and get sleeping pills, that way you will get atleast 8 hours of tinnitus free hearing, you just won’t remember about it.
Nah, stay away from the drugs. They're terrible for you in the long run. I have a pair of Jabra Elite wireless earbuds that I wear to sleep, and just put on a tinnitus masking YouTube video. I'm usually out cold in a matter of minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back