Tinnitus, iem vs headphones vs tws?
Jul 10, 2020 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

vegetaleb

100+ Head-Fier
Hello
I don't know if it's tinnitus but last months I felt like having water in my ear for 2-3 days while it wasn't water after using my KZ iem for a jogging, so now I am searching for the safest option.
Will an over-the-ear headphone be better for that matter?
What about TWS?

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 20
Hello
I don't know if it's tinnitus but last months I felt like having water in my ear for 2-3 days while it wasn't water after using my KZ iem for a jogging, so now I am searching for the safest option.
Will an over-the-ear headphone be better for that matter?
What about TWS?
Thought about bone conduction stuff like aftershokz and the like? Never seemed to get much traction here but seem popular enough.

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 20
^ that.

Earbuds would be another option.

Most TWS are going to be the same as IEMs. Because most TWS are IEMs. For jogging the Sabbat X12 Ultra or X12 Pro, which is a TWS earbud may be your best bet there (earpod/airpod shaped).

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 20
^ that.

Earbuds would be another option.

Most TWS are going to be the same as IEMs. Because most TWS are IEMs. For jogging the Sabbat X12 Ultra or X12 Pro, which is a TWS earbud may be your best bet there (earpod/airpod shaped).

Like these mpow?
Btw KZ Zsn are considered earbuds or iem?

Attachments

• -11865868271290424907.jpg
    -11865868271290424907.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 20
I feel a vibrating sensation on my right eardrum. It gets worse if I put the finger inside the eardrum, then it goes back to normal volume, it oscillates. The same happens when I use the akg k371 which seem to create a vaccum and same result as putting the finger inside the eardrum, it sort of vibrates or something. Happened since may. It's ****ing annoying. Its a low rumble noise, not the usual high pitched tinnitus I have had on the left for years.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 20
Btw feeling of water in the ear canal can be tinnitus or it's something else?
Might be worth getting your ears checked for blocked ears? My right one is (again) after getting a non covid cold back in march.

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 20
I feel a vibrating sensation on my right eardrum. It gets worse if I put the finger inside the eardrum, then it goes back to normal volume, it oscillates. The same happens when I use the akg k371 which seem to create a vaccum and same result as putting the finger inside the eardrum, it sort of vibrates or something. Happened since may. It's ****ing annoying. Its a low rumble noise, not the usual high pitched tinnitus I have had on the left for years.

Could still be a form of tinnitus.

http://www.jacksonearclinic.com/pages/pitinnitus.htm
"A rare type of objective tinnitus is called muscular tinnitus. One hears a rhythmic twitching noise or fluttering noise in the ear. This can be caused by an irregular contraction of one of the two ear muscles in the middle ear that are attached to the hearing bones. This is very similar to the twitching of the eyelids that some people experience upon occasion. Muscular tinnitus can be related to caffeine intake, lack of sleep, and stress. It can also occur independent of any apparent cause. Also, the muscles in the throat that open and close the Eustachian tube from the nose to the ear can have a similar spasm and cause muscular tinnitus. This form of tinnitus usually resolves with time. If it does not resolve in a short time, low doses of anti-seizure medications can usually stop the contractions. If these prove ineffective, the muscles in the middle ear can be cut to stop their contractions by a minor surgical procedure."

Granted this is the internet... So may be best to check with your doctor?

Btw feeling of water in the ear canal can be tinnitus or it's something else?

Like it's plugged up? Could be excessive moisture and earwax build up from sealing your ear canal too.

My friend has to get his ears cleaned at the doctors/audiologist every so often as he produces excess wax and builds up a blockage.

I'd consider consulting your doctor. Could be an ear infection too.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 20
Could still be a form of tinnitus.

http://www.jacksonearclinic.com/pages/pitinnitus.htm
"A rare type of objective tinnitus is called muscular tinnitus. One hears a rhythmic twitching noise or fluttering noise in the ear. This can be caused by an irregular contraction of one of the two ear muscles in the middle ear that are attached to the hearing bones. This is very similar to the twitching of the eyelids that some people experience upon occasion. Muscular tinnitus can be related to caffeine intake, lack of sleep, and stress. It can also occur independent of any apparent cause. Also, the muscles in the throat that open and close the Eustachian tube from the nose to the ear can have a similar spasm and cause muscular tinnitus. This form of tinnitus usually resolves with time. If it does not resolve in a short time, low doses of anti-seizure medications can usually stop the contractions. If these prove ineffective, the muscles in the middle ear can be cut to stop their contractions by a minor surgical procedure."

Granted this is the internet... So may be best to check with your doctor?

Like it's plugged up? Could be excessive moisture and earwax build up from sealing your ear canal too.

My friend has to get his ears cleaned at the doctors/audiologist every so often as he produces excess wax and builds up a blockage.

I'd consider consulting your doctor. Could be an ear infection too.
Who knows, most stuff ive heard on the internet is that people go to the doctor and nothing is found and basically they get told to deal with it. I wouldn't like to have radiation shot into my brain if im just going to get told its tinnitus. The fact that it reacts to sound tells me its something to do with the eardrum. When I use my hair dried for example, I haer the vibration for a while. Also putting my finger inside the eardrum generates a low rumble sound itself so it may react to that rather than just the physical presence of the finger it that makes sense. Ive had period it goes and comes. I also had the twitching eyelid thing for a while a long time ago and it went away so not sure if related.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 20
I have had hearing loss and tinnitus issues for a number of years now and while I have not gotten complete relief I have found something that has helped with both. Please see this link for more info: https://www.audicus.com/herbs-hearing-loss/

At this point I can hear better and some days I can barely hear the tinnitus. Been taking these supplements for a year or so now. The worst thing that can happen to an audiophile is hearing loss! YMMV.

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 20
I have had hearing loss and tinnitus issues for a number of years now and while I have not gotten complete relief I have found something that has helped with both. Please see this link for more info: https://www.audicus.com/herbs-hearing-loss/

At this point I can hear better and some days I can barely hear the tinnitus. Been taking these supplements for a year or so now. The worst thing that can happen to an audiophile is hearing loss! YMMV.
Thanks for this! I too suffer from tinnitus. Some days are fine where it's there but I'm less aware of it. Other days, it's all I can hear and focus on. It's maddening, especially for us in the "audiophile" camp. I've even had my hearing tested a few years ago and confirmed that I have some high frequency loss in one ear (though it appears I have excellent hearing in other ranges, go figure).

Without being overly personal, I had tried taking some anti depressants last year for a few months. Hated them, but the one strange benefit was that I felt as though the ringing in my ears had significantly diminished. I passed this info back to my primary, to which they were surprised to hear this tidbit. (My brother also suffers from tinnitus, though he's a musician vs me being a keyboard jockey).

It saddens me that I'm not as spry as I once was, mostly nice I love comparing and contrasting speakers and headphones. But I'm at the point now I just need clarity and enough bass to make it worth my time.

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for this! I too suffer from tinnitus. Some days are fine where it's there but I'm less aware of it. Other days, it's all I can hear and focus on. It's maddening, especially for us in the "audiophile" camp. I've even had my hearing tested a few years ago and confirmed that I have some high frequency loss in one ear (though it appears I have excellent hearing in other ranges, go figure).

Without being overly personal, I had tried taking some anti depressants last year for a few months. Hated them, but the one strange benefit was that I felt as though the ringing in my ears had significantly diminished. I passed this info back to my primary, to which they were surprised to hear this tidbit. (My brother also suffers from tinnitus, though he's a musician vs me being a keyboard jockey).

It saddens me that I'm not as spry as I once was, mostly nice I love comparing and contrasting speakers and headphones. But I'm at the point now I just need clarity and enough bass to make it worth my time.

Good luck to you! I have continued with the supplements and feel I am slowly getting more and more good days each month. My stereo system sounds better too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back