Tinnitus: How to deal?
Jan 10, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 34
A study on tinnitus shows that for about a third of sufferers there's almost no reason for the problem, it just happens. Jaw problems are the next biggest culprit, and then noise. These three can account for a majority of tinnitus problems.

The clenching teeth afftecting tinnitus is an almost sure sign it has to do with your jaw. I have the same problem. 19/20 TMJ sufferers have some form of tinnitus. It's a rock solid link.

As for cures, there really isn't one. Behavioral modification is the best. Just learn not to be bugged by it so much or it'll drive you crazy. Just like a girl who obsesses over her weight can get anorexic you can obsess on tinnitus. Just chill. I find that when I'm not paying attention I can't even hear it, but if I 'listen' for it I can hear my tinnitus in almost any situation except for a rock concert. It's very easy to mentally amplify tinnitus a WHOLE lot, but if you 'forget' it then it practically goes away.

--Illah

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
The American Medical Association regards tinnitus as an incurable, largely untreatable progressive hearing deficiency that will lead to deafness. You have my condolances.
frown.gif

It doesnt always lead to deafness, and it can go away. Alot of people, especially around here, have it to one degree or another, but many people have it temporarily and if you just stop listening to music or going to loud places for awhile it goes away.
As for a cure, just ignore it. The more you think about it, the louder it gets, you just have to do something to get your mind off of it.

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 34
I thought my dreaded two tone tinnitus was back just then whilst reading this! Fortunately it was Godspeed turned down! I've had tinnitus everytime I've gone clubbing. It doesn't bother me much, probably because I'm drunk and when I wake up its gone.

Living with the 2 tone tinnitus for just a week... thats another matter, if that was to carry on I don't know what I'd do. Best thing to do???

Stop listening to anything. Give it 4 days to a week. If it goes down you needed a break. Make sure you don't over do it with headphone listening. In regards to work, if thats whats causing it quit. I know you want the money, hell we all do but your hearing is more important.

Jan 10, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 34
all this talk about tinitus, now i can hear mine constantly. lol. very informative thread though. So is it correct to assume that a lot of people have tinitus to some degree?

I'm going to see if I can get some earplugs when i get off work
eek.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
A study on tinnitus shows that for about a third of sufferers there's almost no reason for the problem, it just happens. Jaw problems are the next biggest culprit, and then noise. These three can account for a majority of tinnitus problems.

The clenching teeth afftecting tinnitus is an almost sure sign it has to do with your jaw. I have the same problem. 19/20 TMJ sufferers have some form of tinnitus. It's a rock solid link.

--Illah

Yeah, see I've had tinnitus since I was young and had no idea what it was until a couple years ago. While I have subjected myself to some loud noises but I think I'm more cautious than most my age. I really should get some insight into that actually. The more I hear about tinnitus the more I believe it is more to do with my jaw than my listening habits.

-Justin

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 34
Caffeine does NOT cause tinnitus. It is a cardio/neuro stimulant. What it does is cause already existing tinnitus to become temporarily louder.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Caffeine does NOT cause tinnitus. It is a cardio/neuro stimulant. What it does is cause already existing tinnitus to become temporarily louder.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Either way, I definetely prefer to avoid it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 34
Thanks for the great ammount of information guys.

Ever since that day from work, it's been going down, but still is present, I would say it's more of the break than the Vitamins.

In concern to the jaw position, mine changes tones when I move it...
If I push my jaw forward it becomes louder.
If I move it side to side, I can hear a crackle in my ears.
It's wierd.

But I've actually talked to my parents about my job, and I actually feel that I would quit for the sake of my health. Working up to 3 AM also creates stress. I mean I like where I work, but it's just once we close and the ******** we deal with I dislike.

But then again, now that I have found out ear protection will not disrupt conversations, I may give that a try and ask the doctor about it. If I can prevent it from becomming worse, the better.

And just to be safe, I've updated my resumé, and will circulate them ASAP.

Also I've been trying to pick up some UM1's for transit which would kind of block loud noises
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys.

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah

--Illah

Okay, I have a problem that is not technically a jaw problem, but has to do with my jaw. As long as I can remember, for my entire life (say 17 years if I started doing it when I was two) I have chewed my tongue. Not constantly, but usually in times of intense concentration or of stress. When I clench my jaw, the ringing in my ears gets really loud. Normally I can't hear it except in a quiet environment, but when I am in a quiet environment, it bothers me.

Could my tinnitus not be caused by loud noise levels at all (I'm usually very careful) but by my habit of chewing my cheek? I've been trying to break this habit lately, and it is extremely difficult for me. It looks bad, and I feel bad about it, but the problem is half the time I don't even realize I'm doing it, and even when I do it's difficult to stop. But if that's the cause of my tinnitus, it would give me a new incentive to try and break this terrible habit.

If this habit did cause my tinnitus, if I don't stop, could it get worse? If I do stop, could it get better? I've really been worrying about my tinnitus a lot lately, even though it isn't a big problem (it's only a problem if the room is almost totally silent). Have I permanently damaged my ears from this habit?

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #27 of 34
I think this definetly is contributing. My dentist noticed my over-developed jaw muscles and some light wear on the top of my teeth, this was due to clenching and even grinding my teeth. Something I catch myself doing when I'm stressed out, I'm trying my best to eliminate the habit. I'm wondering if a bite plate would help, but I don't know if I do it much in my sleep.

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #28 of 34
Clenching your jaw is bad. The tissues connecting the gums with the base of your teeth can be stretched only so many times. Over time your gums begin retreating, exposing the furculae. Then you get bone loss because all the bacteria will get in there much more easily. Eventually you lose all your teeth.

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 34
there is a nerve that runs from your inner ear, through your jaw into your mouth:
"Connection Between Otalgia and TMJ Dysfunction
Misalignment of the temporomandibular joint can affect ear structures due to pressure on the petrotympanic fissure and tympanic bone that separates the jaw joint from the external auditory canal. Because the chorda tympani nerve (which passes through a fissure in the TMJ capsule) innervates pain sensation to the tongue, there may also be sensitivity in certain areas of that organ. There is some evidence that these pressures may cause certain types of tinnitus, subjective hearing loss, and an increased sensitivity to sound (hyperacusis).[5]"
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/505738

at night i grind and gnash my teeth violently. this inflames my jaw muscles and can cause tinnitus or more frequently ear aches. i had a night-guard made to wear at night (and sometimes during the day if i catch myself grinding while driving), and my jaw problems dropped to almost zero. earaches stopped, and transitory tinnitus also stopped. so if you think you have a jaw problem look into getting a night guard for your dentist, and also ibuprofen really helps reduce swelling in the jaw which can irritate the chorda tympani nerve (which can cause tongue pain).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back