Tinninitus? Ringing ears, or hearing impaired look here!
Jan 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Deathdeisel

500+ Head-Fier
Recent article was shared with me and I know some people on here could use it. Trying to get the word out, help this research get funded and get some support behind it. Would be amazing to reverse hearing damage. 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2259688/Drug-reverse-permanent-deafness-regenerating-hair-cells-inner-ear.html

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, true. I guess we would all have to see how well the drugs work, whether it only works for complete hearing loss, or can completely fix someones range of hearing. Also I would think side effects could be rather hilarious compared to most drugs. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 7
(As a final year medical student...)

This drug, if it ever comes to market, will not be available for at least 10 years. 

If you look, it was only a small study in mice. Not humans. 

Furthermore it doesn't restore hearing, not as we know it, but it restores the ability to sense sounds - the mice react to sound - doors, traffic etc. They cannot hear. 

IF it works on humans and IF it's safe and IF it comes to market and IF it is approved and IF it isn't only available for those who aren't stone deaf then... 
It'll be useless for all but the very nearly stone deaf. It isn't going to cure your tinnitus. 

The only realistic way to prevent hearing damage is to avoid loud noise and ototoxic medications (though if you're being given one of these the chances of damage are low, and they're likely being given for something more important than your hearing, e.g. TB). 

And in response to 'panda man'; medications are excellent!

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Unfortunately im aware of all the above. And odds are it is going to be exactly like that. Regardless it is exciting to see advancements made in hearing overall, let alone repairing of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back