Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Aug 22, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #676 of 1,427
I actually never used the stock cable because I mainly run these balanced. I’ve actually swapped out the c8, which is a nice spc cable, for a pure copper cable. It adds a little warmth and cuts down on sibilance. And then I use adapters (Shout out Norne audio) when listening on unbalanced amps.

If possible, could you tell me which pure copper you took?

I've never used the stock P1 cable. I had this one before I got the P1's
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FS9Q45X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #678 of 1,427
I have a bunch of tips at home, anything from comply, spinfit to symbio hybrid. Yet the ones that give me the best fit with the P1 are surprisingly those silicone tips that come with the Jaybird Freedom. Something about the shape and softness of them. Everything else makes the P1 wiggle in my ear from just moving around. YMMV

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #679 of 1,427
I just ordered a pair of the P1's and am wondering if ill be able to power them portable.
For the desktop setup, I have a FiiO E17+E09K which puts out at least 900mW with a 32ohm load.
Portable I have the Earstudio ES100 as well as a stackable FiiO Q1+FiiO A3 should i be able to provide these with the power they need?

For those who own the ES100, have you tried the P1's with the ES100?
Thanks!

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #680 of 1,427
Fiio Q5 powers them fine in balanced high gain with 30~40% headroom. Hardware bass boost is sweet. Your Fiio combo has more power, so you will be fine.

Can't comment on ES100 but there are mixed reports as far as I can recall. Some are totally happy with this but some are saying they get loud enough but not full potential. Not a ES100 owner here so I will shut up from here on.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #681 of 1,427
ES100 will power these, but I’m finding at 2x SE almost maxed out for a reasonable volume ( Ldac ). Better off to go with a dedicated amp/powerful dap. imho

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #682 of 1,427
I got my Tin P1 today and I find the sound so different from the reviews here that I wonder if I got another revision of the P1. Especially with the bass, which by the general opinion here is lacking in sub-bass. That's not what I hear.
My setup:
Transport: Neutron MP on Android, USB output with FiiO ML06 cable.
DAC/Amp: FiiO Q5s/FiiO AM3E on 4.4 balanced output.
Cable: https://bit.ly/2PcTj0p
20190823_131234_tn.jpg

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #683 of 1,427
I got my Tin P1 today and I find the sound so different from the reviews here that I wonder if I got another revision of the P1. Especially with the bass, which by the general opinion here is lacking in sub-bass. That's not what I hear.
My setup:
So besides the bass not lacking, what else is different in its sound in your opinion?

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #684 of 1,427
My setup:
Try to switch to Short delay sharp roll off filter on the Q5s. You can thank me later

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #685 of 1,427
So besides the bass not lacking, what else is different in its sound in your opinion?
Well, any personal opinion should be taken you know how. However it seems generally accepted that:
- Timbre - lacking. Not in my view. Good representation of instruments. Very good.
- Highs - sibilant. I didn't hear any sibilance, but that's also record dependent.
- Mids - forward. I hear mids sometimes recessed but mostly just natural.
- Bass - no sub extension. BS.
- Soundstage - any. Nope. Those are IEMs. They don't have soundstage. None. Because they are in ear. But this is nitpicking.
Again, personal opinion can't be measured objectively. However I can hear P1 myself now and this is what I hear.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #686 of 1,427
Try to switch to Short delay sharp roll off filter on the Q5s. You can thank me later
Sorry, m8, no. Tried all of them. Need some time to feel the difference. I have always preferred linear phase filters and the default Sharp Roll-Off is simply incomparable.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #687 of 1,427
Yeah that's what I heard too just wanted to be sure,on the off chance I did get the older revision.

I do feel like its a bit source dependent. My DX120 cant seem to drive it to a level I like(on SE) my phone 'can' drive it but it sounds really thin sometimes especially at higher volumes. I've been using it with my DX120 amped by an Alo National which is known to pair beautifully with planars(like my HE4XX) it really does open up the sound for me. But I still need to clock in some listening hours on it,
Interesting...I also have a dx120. How are these driven from the balanced output? I found my hifiman 400i's are driven to deafening levels out of the balanced output of the dx120, are people saying these are harder to drive than 400is?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #688 of 1,427
Interesting...I also have a dx120. How are these driven from the balanced output? I found my hifiman 400i's are driven to deafening levels out of the balanced output of the dx120, are people saying these are harder to drive than 400is?

Still haven't gotten to buying balanced aftermarket cables so I wouldn't know. I don't believe them to be harder to drive than the HE-400i's but I will say they can definitely take as much power as you give them. It's just that my hearing can't withstand the increase in volume and pressure these put up at higher volumes

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #689 of 1,427
Still haven't gotten to buying balanced aftermarket cables so I wouldn't know. I don't believe them to be harder to drive than the HE-400i's but I will say they can definitely take as much power as you give them. It's just that my hearing can't withstand the increase in volume and pressure these put up at higher volumes
Well the dx120 has 400 MW @32 ohm, my little dot I+ has twice the power and I don't notice anything lacking. I really like the little dot I+ tube sound though as it adds some nice texture to the planars. Not sure if most people know but double the power does not mean double the sound...usually it's just a few DB of an increase once you get past the initial 1mw power input into the headphones.

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #690 of 1,427

Users who are viewing this thread

Back