Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #1,351 of 1,427
The P1 sounds better than the KXXS with EQ and a powerful amp. Otherwise the stock P1 vs stock KXXS, KXXS wins.

You could get a better amp and use some EQ with the P1 (like a ifi hip-dac) or you can take a look at the new Moondrop Aria.

https://crinacle.com/2021/03/29/moondrop-aria-2021-unboxing/
Thanks for this. Good to know. I might push for the Blessing 2 instead, but as I say I might get better value from a higher powered Mac so I'm very tempted by the E1DA Powerdac (version 2.1 incoming). It will give me plenty of power and also I can use the iOS app to eq the P1s. As I say, I only add a little bass increase so it's more a case of opening up the P1s when I'm somewhere my desktop amp isn't. Bonus would be it would also drive my HD6xx better and I'm already using Sonarworks True-fi for those with great effect!. Thanks for the guidance re the KXXS and I'll take a look at the Aria as well.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,352 of 1,427
@RikudouGoku tackles the Moondrop question question part. The P1s do love power. What source are you using with the P1s now? How much time do you spend with them portable vs Desktop? I picked up the JDS Atom AMP and it is the best $99 I spent; tons of power without coloration. Of course, it's desktop only and it's fueled by a separate DAC so It was more than $99 but it really woke the P1s up. If you're running mostly portable, you might need a source that pushes a bit more. I see that you're using an ES100 so I'm going to assume you stream off you're phone to the 100 and into the P1s. Take a look at the BTR5 or UP4 - which should give you more power. I've got a set of IMR EDPs coming up for sale - check out the threads. They're easier to drive and have a 9mm Dynamic in addition to 10mm Planar the only reason I'm selling them is because I just ordered the IMR Elysium. But it was the P1 that turned me on to miniturized planar. It's still a beauty. Detail and Resolution on those little buds is spectacular.
I'm either using the ES100 from my phone, or a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS I had lying around if I'm on the Mac. Hence the need for a better portable DAC/AMP. I'd like a USB powered one so I can spend the day using it without worrying about charging so currently looking at the E1DA Powerdac. That may well solve all my problems in one go for very little cash. I actually tried the BTR5 but within minutes (IMHO) it wasn't a patch on the ES100. Less dynamic, less soundstage, less enjoyable entirely so it went back. Other possible candidates are the Lotoo PAW S1 or the Earmen Sparrow but I'm intrigued by the E1DA tbh.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #1,353 of 1,427
I think you need more power than the BTR5 can output though. So stuff like the hip-dac should be a better upgrade.
Agreed. I didn't like the BTR5 at all when I tried it with my P1s

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,354 of 1,427
Thanks for this. Good to know. I might push for the Blessing 2 instead, but as I say I might get better value from a higher powered Mac so I'm very tempted by the E1DA Powerdac (version 2.1 incoming). It will give me plenty of power and also I can use the iOS app to eq the P1s. As I say, I only add a little bass increase so it's more a case of opening up the P1s when I'm somewhere my desktop amp isn't. Bonus would be it would also drive my HD6xx better and I'm already using Sonarworks True-fi for those with great effect!. Thanks for the guidance re the KXXS and I'll take a look at the Aria as well.
I wouldnt recommend the B2, P1 + EQ + Power is a lot better. The B2 has a lot of BA timbre across the entire range, sounds very unnatural to me and also very differently from the P1.

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,355 of 1,427
I've had 4 different sets of planar iems at this point and the thing I've observed in all of them is that burn in is real. All of them kept refining well past 300 hours of use. Power will definitely give a, ittle liftto the P1 bass but so will hours of use.

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,356 of 1,427
I wouldnt recommend the B2, P1 + EQ + Power is a lot better. The B2 has a lot of BA timbre across the entire range, sounds very unnatural to me and also very differently from the P1.
Cheers for the heads-up!

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,357 of 1,427
I've had 4 different sets of planar iems at this point and the thing I've observed in all of them is that burn in is real. All of them kept refining well past 300 hours of use. Power will definitely give a, ittle liftto the P1 bass but so will hours of use.
Agree. Anything that has physical movement will need to flex until it stops changing its physical properties. Bought mine back in 2019 so they should be burnt-in now 😂

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,358 of 1,427
I think the p1s need a lot of power ... with the btr5 they sound, but with the Max they shine. 😉

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,359 of 1,427
if you are looking for something similar, but easier to drive, I would recommend the Shuoer Tape.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,360 of 1,427
if you are looking for something similar, but easier to drive, I would recommend the Shuoer Tape.
The Tape and the P1 are extremely different from each other.....

Not a single aspect is similar, neither tonality, timbre nor technicalities are similar.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,361 of 1,427
Planar vs electrostatic the first more balanced and less coloured the second with more bass and less power ungry, sure the P1 are best of the two, but not without a proper amplification... and on my btr5 i prefer the Tape, but with the Max the P1 sound to another level. The question is if exist a little Max with 1.8 watt on 32ohm... The P1 are the most for desktop amp not even my Shanling M6 can drive them properly 350mWx2. My 2 cents.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,362 of 1,427
And I don't think it's just a question of power, also because my hifiman ef2c amplifier with 350mW like the M6 drives them very well and I don't know why. Maybe they need a proper type of power...

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #1,363 of 1,427
I think the p1s need a lot of power ... with the btr5 they sound, but with the Max they shine. 😉

I feel like the coloration of the DAC/amp plays a bigger role in overall sound over pure power. The synergy between the DAC/amp/headphone is very important, and something that is required on the P1 (well any headphone for that matter).

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #1,364 of 1,427
I have found that the P1s really shine with the iBasso DX160 out of 4.4mm balanced. It is hard to define why. It could be the synergy as @tinyman392 suggests, or it could be the power that the DX has (iBasso's numbers says that it outputs 1.2W @32ohms from 4.4mm balanced). I really don't care too much to find out at this point, I just know that (with a bit of EQ) the P1 are the best sounding IEMs I have heard at this point (to my ears).

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #1,365 of 1,427
IMG_20210402_165814_737.jpg

Portable bliss 💖

Users who are viewing this thread

Back