Tin HiFi Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #331 of 673
https://crinacle.com/2020/10/31/tin-hifi-t2-plus-review-value-added/

Good overall ranking, even though I don’t agree with his technical grade. I do agree with his overall grade, but I would rate the technicalities a bit higher, but honestly, I probably wouldn’t have given such a high tonality grade, compared to other IEMs on his list. It’s subjective.

Actually I do agree with Crinacle on this one, it has great tonality and timbre, very inoffensive tuning and smooth. Sometimes too smooth, I find it a bit boring and undynamic at times.
IMHO, overall the technicalities are really quite average at that price bracket, especially when multi BA/hybrids are taken into the equation. Maybe when compared to other single DD types at that price bracket, it is above average in technicalities at best.

But one can argue that it is much easier to find something with good technicalities in the budget segment than something with good tuning/tonality. So that's where the Tin T2 Plus shines, compared to the usual KZs and TRNs.

Though the MMCX QC issues on the Tin T2 Plus are a big turn off, hardly any of the reviewers mention this, but there are quite a number of forum reports about it, my set included. Other tin products with MMCX also have some complaints for the MMCX, so best to only buy it from Amazon or somewhere with a good returns policy.

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #332 of 673
I've now had P2s for a while and think they are a great IEM but they need modding before it is so.

The best part of the presentation is actually bass. They are not basshead level, as previously mentioned, but the quality and quantity I think is just perfect for the music I listen to. The presentation is precise and the driver moves air creating a physical sensation in the ears, which gives the bass its oomph. I think it is the standout feature.

Mids are ever so slightly recessed but I got used to them quickly and never felt I was missing out. Planar mids are known for their quality and P2 do not disappoint.

Treble is the problem area. I do not have an issue with the quality of it - air is there and plenty of it. However, they are sibilant and fatiguing for longer listens, which forced me down the path of modding.

Altogether, the tonality is skewed towards treble and, therefore, imbalanced. Out of the box, P2s are hard to recommend unless your hearing is diminished in that area. I've tried EQing but have to say P2s don't take it well. Taking the bite out of the treble also removes all the air making them sound congested. This is where modding comes in (courtesy of antdroid who suggested that in his review). I've removed the foam that was stuffed in the nozzle and replaced it with one, which has a 'looser' consistency. I've put more of it in than the original amount and that worked a treat. It brought the mids forward and took the bite out of the treble but not the air. I've done this previously for A6 using the same foam with a great result and that works here as well. Took about 5 minutes of work altogether and now I am enjoying a balanced, crystal clear planar sound, which makes other IEMs in my collection sound muddy by comparison.

Comparing to P1 they are superior in every way (once treble is fixed), with only mids being on par between the sets. I don't think more needs to be said about that.

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #333 of 673
I've now had P2s for a while and think they are a great IEM but they need modding before it is so.

The best part of the presentation is actually bass. They are not basshead level, as previously mentioned, but the quality and quantity I think is just perfect for the music I listen to.

... I've tried EQing but have to say P2s don't take it well.

Comparing to P1 they are superior in every way (once treble is fixed), with only mids being on par between the sets. I don't think more needs to be said about that.
What music genres did you find to be compatible ?

Could you elaborate on your challenges with EQing ?

What are you using for an amp ?

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #334 of 673
What music genres did you find to be compatible ?

Could you elaborate on your challenges with EQing ?

What are you using for an amp ?

Pop and EDM work very well - clean, studio recordings basically. I've also listened to some instrumental game soundtracks and this was also a match.

EQing. Caveat is, I use Wavelet so a parametric one could give different results. I played around with all frequencies in different combinations. I was elevating bass, mids, tried a W-shape, tamed down the treble and none of the results were pleasing to me. A low bass bump was probably the best change if you like more bass but still my impression was that EQing didn't only change the tonality but also affected the technical side somewhat. Treble lost the air, note weight changed etc. I genuinely think that this tuning is optimal for the driver and configuration they went with. Hence, decided to go down the route of changing the damping and that worked really well because it changed the tonality but preserved the technicalities, exactly like it did with A6. I don't know if that makes sense but that is my subjective perception.

Early on, I've also removed the foam completely and used narrow-bore ear tips. This has worked for me for a while but the ones I have were not comfortable to wear in the long run. I've just ordered some other ear tips to try out and I will when I get them.

Amp-wise, I have DX160. They are very neutral so a warmer source could be a better pairing out of the box.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #337 of 673
In my t2's box there is written in the specs that there is a 10 mm subwoofer, how is it possible ? Is it normal ?
:joy: That’s hilarious. Are they referring to the fact that it is a 10mm DD in there? While I like the T2, they certainly don’t have a sub in there.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #338 of 673
In my t2's box there is written in the specs that there is a 10 mm subwoofer, how is it possible ? Is it normal ?
They just mean that the 10mm DD is acting as the woofer and therefore taking care of the bass and mids, it also have another 6mm dd that is the tweeter that is taking care of the treble.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #339 of 673
They just mean that the 10mm DD is acting as the woofer and therefore taking care of the bass and mids, it also have another 6mm dd that is the tweeter that is taking care of the treble.
That’s right. I forgot about it being a 2 DD IEM. Still hilarious wording though :jecklinsmile:.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #340 of 673
I meant this ,but i remember in a previous pair i owned that there was written 2 dd 6 + 10 mm , maybe i remember wrong.
IMG_20201113_122117.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #341 of 673
I meant this ,but i remember in a previous pair i owned that there was written 2 dd 6 + 10 mm , maybe i remember wrong.

I probably wouldn't take the literature too seriously, this is Chi-Fi after all :)

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #343 of 673
yes , you are right ! However how do you find the sonata hd pro ? i bought it from ali a week ago.

I like it. It is the dongle DAC/AMP that I recommend by default. It sounds excellent - neutral, clean and should drive the vast majority of IEMs with ease. Aside from a strange hardware volume control setup (hint: treat it more as a gain control and use the volume slider in your music player software to make fine adjustments), there's nothing I would change about it.

Nov 14, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #344 of 673
I like it. It is the dongle DAC/AMP that I recommend by default. It sounds excellent - neutral, clean and should drive the vast majority of IEMs with ease. Aside from a strange hardware volume control setup (hint: treat it more as a gain control and use the volume slider in your music player software to make fine adjustments), there's nothing I would change about it.

Yeah I love the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, excellent sound as u say, plus it doesn't get hot. Can come close to some desktop setups for a fraction of the price. Only thing is it can't drive very demanding gear like planars or high impedance headphones, but for most IEMs it does an excellent job. Very low output impedance too, so it is very hiss free with a dark background, great for low impedance picky IEMs like the Audiosense T800.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #345 of 673
I know that these things are personal, but can anyone say anything about the comfort (or otherwise) of the T2 plus? I have quite narrow ear canals and find some IEMs very uncomfortable with any tips (e.g. the KZ ZSN, where the stems directly bang into my ear canals).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back