Tin HiFi Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #61 of 673
Any tips on how to remove a cable safely? I tried out my T4 last night for the first time and put on a balanced cable it have discovered that due to the design of the shells I can’t get any leverage to remove the cable. I fell like I’m going to break something.
I couldn't remove my T2 cable either and my right earpiece broke after 30 days. I doubt I'll buy a T3, T4 or T5.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #62 of 673
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #64 of 673
Early T4 impressions

l6OKMij.jpg

It's been a busy week, but I was stuck on my own a few times, and so have had 4-5 listening sessions with the T4.

So I thought I'd help people out by sharing some impressions of it, since there were times I was just by myself with the new IEM.

My impressions remained consistent throughout the sessions. It's very much an improved T2, in my book. The housing is similar, its MMCX, DD, neutral-ish. Clearly, they wanted to go back to their 'core product' and improve it. Did they succeed? In my view, if you liked the T2, or even the MH755, you'll probably like this. But that's pretty general, and a truism, so I will try to give actual direct impressions from listening to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Impressions

Details. I can hear little voice tracks at the edge of my soundstage that I might have missed on other IEMs. It picks up some of those faint or subtle sounds that are lost in the audioscape of $20 chi-fi IEMs. The T4 also picks up small instrument tracks regularly that a less-discerning IEM will simply miss. I am hearing some small details in several albums that I didn't know about from other IEMs.

Interesting percussion. Beats stand out and have some impact behind them, not as much necessarily as something like a TRN V90/BA5. It's more restrained. But distinct and tight.

Percussion may be elevated somewhat, at least more than guitars and other strings. BA5/V90/CNT1 and many others like to pick out the electric guitars in particular. But this picks up percussion, and there's definite punch with anything that resolves as such.

Some tracks from the "Best of the Alan Parsons Project" album are illustrative here. "Time" is mostly vocals and percussion, the way the T4 presents it. It feels as if the T4 'locks on' to anything resembling percussion, and keeps it strong. It keeps a rythmic beat very distinctly in "Can't Take it With You." [Detail-wise, the T4 is also picking out small percussion instruments and stuff in this track.]

For your own evaluation, you might want to check out "Games People Play" and "Psychobabble" from that album. Listen for when the percussion is active. I think it is usually presented more strongly than other elements.

I'm not sure about the level of detail or quantity/quality of the T4's percussion, though. On the iPod Touch, many percussion tracks broadly sound synthetic, like a MIDI instrument. Not that bad, of course, but not like a live instrument. Percussion resembles a juiced synthesizer a little more than I'd prefer.

Vocal clarity - not something to take for granted. With the T4, I can understand the artists. Above-average clarity here. Inflection comes through easily. I'd say vocals are clear like the BA5, but not elevated like the C10. They really concentrated on vocal accuracy. And with the T4's improved tuning over the T2, vocals are often 'syrupy,' which may not occur with a harsher tuning.

I really have to emphasize that I can understand what the artists are saying better than in 70% or so of my IEMs.

Tone - It is relatively neutral, and doesn't 'boost' sound like some of my preferred IEMs. But this isn't flat, and it really, really shows with vocals, which are tuned pleasantly. It's a kind of 'neutral / flat-Harman' in my ears. Like a less-bassy MH755, maybe, but I'd have to put them in my ears again. The T4 is still not quite as 'warm' without EQ as some of my preferred IEMs. For example, I find Yes' "Fly from Here" is too 'neutral' on the T4 as compared to the Y*nY*o V2 (1st tuning). But that's my very subjective preference, and I'm sure most civilized persons would find the T4 fine there.

I'd say that the T4 was tuned fairly carefully, compared to some of Tin Hifi's other models. Treble and vocals exist just on the edge of tolerability for me at higher volumes. So they've got their treble detail, but they don't want to hurt your ears. I found the T2 comparatively bright.

Like its T2 precedessor, the T4 presents sound fairly close to the recording's source material, which can be good or bad. 'Noisy' recordings aren't ideal - it renders all the noise. For certain albums by Arcade Fire* and Daft Punk, I use juiced IEMs like the ZS-7. They can blast messy sounds like a champ. The T4 is not the IEM of choice for me there. 'Boomy' and 'lo-fi' sounds don't show up well on the T4, IMHO.

But for clean recordings, this is what the T4 was built for. Like 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by the Indonesian guitarist Alip Ba Ta, comes in very clearly. Guitar plucks away nicely on T4, pleasant tuning. The chord harmonies come across well, and the minute echos in the instrument. Can the T4 make out ghost notes? I don't know.

Yes, you can use the T4 for those acoustic, classical, and instrumental tracks that you don't want to use your KZ for. Clarinets and flutes are rendered properly, and bass strings have a heft to them. Pianos are safe in the T4's hands. High notes are almost peaky, but not quite. Careful tuning, here. Here's a $74 IEM that can kind of do justice to Ryuchi Sakamoto. All strings of all types are nice. Finally, Simon and Garfunkel sound passable on one of my IEMs. (Bass is a little distorted here for some reason.)

Acoustic tracks from albums like the Best of Jethro Tull (Acoustic) come across okay, less synthetic than my KZs, but I think Jazz is where the T4 comparatively shines. In both acoustic and jazz, the T4 is not focusing on percussion as much, and is foregrounding the correct instruments. It's handling Coltrane's "My Favourite Things" albums fairly well from a technical standpoint, with good positioning, separation, and soundstage.

Bass - Listen, bass is not something I bought the T4 for. But I tested it with a bassier track, "Sky is Falling" by Blackalicious, which I used to show off the CNT-1. It sounds different on the T4, for sure. Missing that insanely deep crunchy bass the CNT-1 will bring you here. But vocals are insanely clear, melody comes across very strong. Percussion is strong. It's still a compelling track, but in a different way. I listened to it twice, it was fun. The flat Harman-tuning is apparent.

The V90 really presents a lot of bass information in Yelawolf's "Pop the Trunk," so I tried it with the T4. It's mostly vocals, brass, piano and percussion with the T4. The bass is secondary here.

The T4 is far from a basshead IEM, but I would say it is bassier than the T2. You don't feel like you are 'missing bass' as much. The balanced nature of the T4 works in its favour in the Arcade Fire album "Everything Now," which is performing better than I expected. Treble clarity is high, it doesn't sound too neutral, there's clearly bass present, if not in basshead quantities, and the soundstage is respectable.

Dynamics - Strong dynamics, like the CNT-1. Can fade in and out smoothly and effortlessly, without requiring much volume or power.

Drivability - The T4 is relatively easy to drive. I've been using it on the iPod this week, and it doesn't feel too confined without amping. I'm running it at 33-50% volume, instead of maybe 25-40% like some of the easiest IEMs (C10, BA5). I'm not sure what all that detail would feel like at 60% or higher, it might get uncomfortable.

Comfort - improved over stock T2. The foam tips of the T2 were not perfect-sized for my ears. These silicone tips are relatively painless, although fit is inferior to stock CNT-1 or BA5 for me. I think it will need tip rolling. And that's fine, I have lots of tips.

Tips are a huge issue for me, because I found myself taking the T2 tips out of my ears after a while, 30-60 mins. I don't feel the same inclination to do so with the T4. I can feel the housings in my ears, I am reminded of their presence, but it's not as obnoxious as the T2.

Many people can forget about sleeping with these in-ear, in my opinion. They're not as unobtrusive as the easier-fit IEMs, and I think they are more likely to move around. The barrel-shape is not ideal for me.

They weren't lying about isolation, either. I don't have a perfect seal, but it's keeping out a noticeable amount of sound. Maybe not 15 DB worth, yet, but with a good seal you could probably use this on transit. [The reasonable tuning probably won't block out much outside noise, though, unlike a TRN V80.]

In fact, I was able to use it on transit once this week. It did not isolate as well as the CNT-1 for me, but it did provide better isolation than many other IEMs. And this is with imperfect fit. The real problem it faces is that the T2 does not have a bass-heavy or sugary-treble boosted sound, which can block out transit noises. So it is not the ideal transit IEM, and was giving me a 'thinner' sound at reasonable volumes.

Soundstage is average. I'm pretty demanding about soundstage, and the T4 is okay, but nothing special. Haven't spent a lot of time with it, though, so we'll see. I actually find it kind of intimate. Playing Julee Cruise "The World Spins" is almost as close as it sounds on the VSonic ARES. Sound positioning is also not as intense as in the multi-BA performers.

However, there are songs and albums where the T4 performs respectably. I mentioned earlier Arcade Fire's "Everything Now," which does not sound confined. And there are some individual tracks from other albums that actually sound kind of expansive.

The sound is pretty full, it's kinda up to your volume and EQ how you want it. But I found that the A6 Mini was noticeably fuller-sounding on some tracks, like Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain." That's a thick IEM. On the other hand, in "Creep" played by Prince at Coachella 2008, the T4 is somewhat expansive, given the recording-quality. It's a good track for the T4. I wonder how the BL-03 compares. Have to try it out. I think the BL-03 does a more throaty presentation of Prince/Petty's "My Guitar Gently Weeps." But guitar licks and vocals are cleaner on T4, percussion is crisper (maybe artificially so). This is a serious question, though, and requires serious testing. I might prefer the BL-03's perhaps warmier, bassier tuning here.

Peaks - This is actually pretty polite. And it's not trying to destroy you with cymbals and claps. As I said previously, though, I'm not sure what it would be like at higher volume-levels.

Unlike the T2, I don't get the sense that this might be 'treble hot.'

Build quality - I saved this for last, because people are probably more interested in the audio quality. The housings are nice and shiny, and as noted by others, look like jet turbines.

The packaging was such that, as soon as I carefully opened the box, the housings flew right out from their indentations. I mean, I was not in a hurry or anything, but I had to pull the lid with some force, and they flew right out and landed back on the couch.

ZrBCWHK.png

The cable, though. While it's not CNT-1 level bad, it does feel rubbery and cheap. I don't like the feel. It's not putting bad pressure on my ear, though.

Sonically, it's usually fine. I didn't have any microphone issues with the cable rubbing against clothes, even while outside. However, I had left and right channels intermittently cut out for a minute while the cable was under tension from a desk. I'm not sure if that's a cable issue, or a driver malfunction.

I don't like the rubber-feel. KZ/CCA/TRN cables feel better. It is also sticky-feeling.

I think this is one of those IEMs where replacing the cable might be a higher immediate priority for many, rather than replacing the tips. To me, it feels like something that would be on a $15 IEM.

The case, though - the case is as good as it looks in the brochure. Feels and smells like leather, I don't know if it is, but the magnet that closes the case actually works. The case makes the T4 feel like a more premium IEM, and its sturdiness should protect the housings and cable from damage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, if I had to describe the T4 in one sentence, I'd call this a better-tuned, improved T2. I haven't tested them side-by-side yet, though.

"Neon Bible" is sounding promising, though. The T4 presents it with some power behind it. And clarity. Actually, I'm going to listen to the entire album.

For more accuracy and completeness in my impressions, I would have to listen to the T4 side-by-side with the T2, BL-03, and MH755. It needs to be given a big run of jazz and acoustic, also, to see just how it is stacking up.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #68 of 673
Please do keep in mind that my impressions are pretty unschooled. I'm just trying to describe what I hear, often on-the-go, without benefit of comparison to most of my IEMs and use of any serious DAC / AMP.

My impressions are likely to change over time, and are biased by having only listened to several bands and albums. I said things about the T4's emphasis on percussion, but that does not apply to all albums and artists universally.

It definitely is an IEM that presents good details in its price range, and has been tuned to handle vocals pretty well. They sound melodius and clear, distinct. Maybe they went too far with the clarity and weight of the vocals: I've heard that some people find vocals 'shouty,' and I can actually understand what they mean. Vocals don't feel 'elevated' to me, but they could be interpreted as 'shouty' at times. Like they've been let off their leash too much.

The T4 does not colour the music very much at all - it's a neutral-x signature, x being the direction slightly-away-from neutral that you interpret it as. It can be accurately described as 'balanced,' and is not as bass-light as the T2. Some may find it 'bright,' although I feel that this issue has been toned down in this iteration.

The T4 is very likely to be a capable performer with jazz, and almost certainly classical. Imaging is not as impressive as some of the serious multi-BA sets out there, but at least the timbre of the instruments is relatively natural.

From a build-quality standpoint, the new housings are very shiny and relatively flashy, and not quite as awkward as the T2. They do isolate to a degree. The stock cable, in my view, lets down the entire package. The case is premium in this price-range.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #69 of 673
T4 are my go-to, previously i owned cheaper iems like the KZ Zsn and the Blon. If i were to compare it to the ZSN, the T4 it is much cleaner and detailed. If compared to Blon i feel like to my ears the blon has the bass quantity but the T4 has the bass quality. This is just a short comparison from my other 2 iems i ever owned. The T4 works nicely with JVC SpiralDot feels it gave the soundstage bit more spacey, but it is not secured as compared to using Spinfits CP100 but then the sound became a lil bit worse when using Spinfits.

@ShakeThoseCans Wondering do you use other tips other than the stock ones it came with? Also will you test your T4 with balanced sourced?(I am still new to this hobby, dont even have a dedicated AMP/DAC.Wondered if balanced source will improve them atleast.)

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #70 of 673
Yes, T4s should definitely be cleaner and more detailed than ZSN. And it makes sense what you said about Blon bass quantity (which the T4 lacks).

I didn't say much about the default tips. I like that they put Spinfits on them. They seal just fine. Except that the housing is more likely to move than other IEMs, so seal can break with movement, leading to rapid changes in volume. I only used foams with the T2, and if I wanted the best experience, I would use foams here as well. Although I'm interested in trying my Spiral Dots and Final Audio E tips.

With regard to balanced sound, I wish I could test that with all my IEMs. I understand that headphones benefit from balanced cables more than most IEMs do, so I haven't gone that route yet. But that awesome chi-fi DAC that only has the 2.5mm output, that would be great for the T4 I bet.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #71 of 673
I agree on the housing likely to move hence seals break, that's why i ordered the new cp100 spinfits edition(i heard spinfits isolate/secure better/comfy) and my first spinfits arrived today its grippier than my spiral dot. Secured better on my ear, comfyness and isolation are about the same but i notice my spiral dots sounds better with the t4, its much spacious and cleaner.

If you have some time do try it out with your spiral dots keen to know how they sound when paired together, i dislike foam because my earcanal are too shallow for them. Really want to know how the t4 sounds when using through balanced source. Im interested of getting amp/dac atm for it.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #72 of 673
Other people here can help you more, but something like the PowerDAC v2 E1DA or especially the E1DA 9038S Gen 2 USB DAC Headphone Amp might be what you are looking for.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #73 of 673
I own a Tin T2 and P1
They both work great with the 9038s and pdv2.
IMG_20200112_152716.jpg

IMG_20200112_152503.jpg
IMG_20200112_152333.jpg

IMG_20200110_130150.jpg

Can't speak for the T4 as i have never heared it.

Personally I like the dc01 best on the thin T2 as this is by default a bass light and accurate iem. Combining it with a DC01 make them sound warmer en Fuller over the full range.

The p1 has a little more bass compaired to the thin T2 and works great with the dc01. But the 9038s make them sound even more analytical and open. The real fun starts with the pdv2 as it enables you to tune the iem sound signature to your liking.

Wrong :
As far as I know the T4 is a dd with a ba hybrid iem, I own a couple of hybrids and the 9038s works wonders on them. Clears up the ba drivers by a lot.
Ikkio oh1 becomes amazing and even a CCA C10 becomes really interesting and clean.

T4 is a dynamic only and there for I would try the dc01 on them first, but I like bass/warm music.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #75 of 673
Actually the T4 is a single Dynamic drivers with a similar profile to the Blon 03 but with slightly less bass. The T3 mat be the only one of the T series with a hybrid design.

Thnx for the heads up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back