TIMSOK Audio Thread-- Discussions and Impressions
Nov 24, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 58
1000003771.jpg

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 58
Relocating my TS-316 impressions with revisions from The Watercoolers thread to here. Apologies in advance for the stream of bulleted impressions:

Background
My experience with IEMs less than $1K have been limited to Dunu SA6, Penon Fan 2 and single DDs to Penon Fan.

Reading @twister6 CJ SoCal 2023 impressions from @MusicTeck tables lead to an impulse purchase of TIMSOK TS-316. It was as an opportunity to expand my IEM experience and tiptoe more into single DD IEMs, but also awaiting for a couple of other pre-orders, LOL 🤭

https://twister6.com/2023/10/30/canjam-socal-2023-impressions-from-musicteck-tables/2/

Unboxing
Woo, TIMSOK TS-316 delivery day!

TIMSOK TS-316 is double packaged with an outer cardboard packaging protecting IEM packaging. As an automotive engineer and user experience designer, I appreciate the simplistic modern branding and high quality professional packaging.

Opening the split cover reveals the IEM and accessories tray – TS-316 in leather cube, 3 individual boxes for cable, tips and accessories. Inside the tips box, unknown brand silicone ear tips are stored in a protective plastic clamshell case. In the accessories box, a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter and two grey velour IEM baggies are included.

Hybrid Copper/Silver Cable
TS-316's supplied cable is a litz construction hybrid copper/silver with teflon PU shielding. Comparing TS-316's cable to other hybrid cables I own from Eletech and Effect Audio, I hear a balanced signature with characteristics of copper/silver combo. Bass has articulate impact with neutral lower mids and deep sub-bass extension. Lower mids are organic with transparent and less colored mids. Treble is natural, well controlled with good extension, airy, and detailed.

Description from TIMSOK:
  • Monocrystalline Copper / Monocrystalline Silver / Frozen Monocrystalline Copper Hybrid Base 196 Conductors LITZ Construction
  • Physically foamed Teflon, polyamide PU shielding, optimized for dragon-twisted rebonding flexibility. Low-stretch silk-wrapped cover, stain and pilling resistant

Overall supplied is good quality with hardware coordinated with the highly polished SS shells. Minor quibbles include: eh cable ergonomics, there's a bit memory when unwrapped; cable hardware is a mix of chrome plated metal and plastics; white silk-wrapped cable cover is pretty but durability and stain resistance over time is questionable; I do notice minute strands pilling.

Cable TLDR; exceptional sound quality with questionable cosmetics durability over time

TIMSOK 10.2mm Single Dynamic Driver
Details of TIMSOK's self-developed 10.2mm single dynamic driver are minimal but here's what I was able to locate.

Driver
Self-developed 10.2mm single dynamic driver. Unique blue coating diaphragm for ultra high rigidity. The Rockwell hardness measured around 7 (HRA). Every diaphragm production mold is processed by high precision CNC. The margin of error within 2dB across whole frequency.

Magnetic System
We optimized our patented IEM magnetic system with new technology and material. It offers 1 TESLA flux for incredible details and clarity, and it also easy to drive.

Specifications
Driver: 10.2mm Dynamic Driver
Sensitivity: 102.5db 1KHz
Frequency Range: 20Hz~20KHz
Impedance: 32Ω

IEM TLDR; they're easy to drive – from an Apple dongle, DAC dongles to DAPs and desktop systems.

TIMSOK TS-316
TS-316 housings exude visual sophistication with organically shaped 316L stainless steel housings which are hand-polished to a mirror finish. Each housing is coated with an AF finish to provide a degree of scratch and fingerprint resistance. The lightweight housings have a comfortable and flush deep in ear fit.

Listening Impressions
Before my TS-316 arrived, I did a bit of research to find more info about TIMSOK, their products and approach to TS-316's sound:
We fully understand the symbolism and value of the word「REFERENCE」.
We have created a product that is worthy of the meaning of "Reference Class" from every detail and angle.
The TS-316 is a product that encapsulates our deep understanding of sound and music.
It represents our aesthetic and attitude towards sound playback.

With that "reference", I started listening impressions using Cayin's N30LE, stock cable and Azla Crystal tips:
  • Hyper Mode (combing Class A, P+, and numerous operation adjustments for ultimate performance)
  • Timbre – Tube Classic
  • Gain – Medium
Overall reference-like tuning, nicely balanced, natural revealing tonality and very coherent right out of the box. Surprisingly detailed with excellent layering and instrument separation – treble extends well where it's never peaky or bright depending on track. Bass and sub bass is fast and precise with nice texture and satisfying impact – there's good bass quality and quantity when required, reverberation, warm decay. Another standout is its black background which allows vocals and instruments to ebb and flow nicely.

TS-316 are easy to drive and scale well with higher gain. They sound excellent right out of the box and improve with each listen. Overall very enjoyable listen – warm reference, musically engaging, never analytical or dry – and great for relaxing or critical listening across many genres: pop, R&B, jazz, country, vocals, classical, instrumental, electronica.

Pair with a R-2R DAP such as A&K SE300, HiBy RS6/RS8, or Cayin N7 (R-2R like) for natural revealing, analog tonality, texture and laidback listening. I've noted excellent synergy with warm-ish DAPS like iBasso DX300 (Amp 11 or 12), Shanling M9+ and the swiss-army tool of DAPs Cayin's N30LE.

Summary
On sale for $499 USD ($599 MSRP), TS-316 are a great first or single DD gateway IEM in the $300 to $1000 price segment. They’re also complimentary to kilo-buck IEM collections as a daily, gym or travel IEM.

Unit was purchased on sale for $499 at with no incentives or discount for impression or review. Available at Musicteck.

Additional Notes, Dec 1
TS-316's balanced reference signature takes cable and DAP rolling very nicely. Rolling silvers or GPS such as ET Plato, SoA or Aeneid lean reference with more neutral bass and showcases its technicalities. Coppers such as EA Ares S 8-wire adds more mid-bass fullness and bass impact. ET's Raphael shifts mids a bit slight forward for a fun V-shaped signature.

Links to albums and tracks with quick intial notes:
Majid Jordan's latest album "Good People – After Hours", Tears in Your Eyes – volume 24
Warm mid-bass, intimate warmth and depth, layered tactile instruments and textured vocals. Percussions have warm textural decay and impact.

Aes Dana "Inks" – deep bass with satisfying rumble and keeps up with "Opalin's" fast beats. Terrance Martin with Gallant and Sneek, “Yellowjacket” bass hits deep with visceral impact sensation in my head.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 58
Ordered. I've enjoyed both the Softears Twilight and FAudio Dark Sky single DD iems that I purchased from Andrew, so :fingers_crossed:the new Timsok's will be great too.
I tried Twilight 2 years ago at CanJam. Fell in love instantly. Bought them a few days after the show. I heard Timsok ts-316 at this year's canjam and did the same thing. They also had a tribrid there. I assume it was the prototype musicteck mentioned. I recently emailed timsok asking if that was for sale but I guess I got the answer from musicteck's post. The tribrid was dope. I'm looking forward to their release.
Hey there. How did they compare to Singularity and the other monitors in your past/present collection?
Singularity is a completely different IEM. Ts-316 bass is pillowy soft compared to Singluarity. I think they would compliment each other nicely. I find ts-316 to be beautifully balanced. Great stage and separation. Just a joy to listen to. Nothing is overpowering. You get to hear it all and it's addicting.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #19 of 58
I recently emailed timsok asking if that was for sale but I guess I got the answer from musicteck's post. The tribrid was dope. I'm looking forward to their release.
They are finalizing the aesthetics of the final version. I hope by the time of Canjam NYC, they can have them ready!

MusicTeck Stay updated on MusicTeck at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicTeckStore https://www.musicteck.com/ info@musicteck.com
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #20 of 58
Got a pair of the TS-316 en route. Tomorrow is first listen. I'm quietly stoked about the potential of this single DD IEM from what I've read here on HF.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #22 of 58
Got a pair of the TS-316 en route. Tomorrow is first listen. I'm quietly stoked about the potential of this single DD IEM from what I've read here on HF.
Hey, I hope you have received your unit. Can you please share the impressions?

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #25 of 58
Ah, a good new 1DD IEM to talk about....any idea how it might compare to the FD7 (my current favorite)?

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #26 of 58
Ah, a good new 1DD IEM to talk about....any idea how it might compare to the FD7 (my current favorite)?
I don't have the FD7, but I have another single DD flagship FW10000. Even though the JVC costs much more than the TS-316, I don't feel the TS-316 is anything inferior to the JVC.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 58
I have mine two days now and absolutely love them - I've been through and still own many single DDs, and these definitely rank highly. I shared some impressions elsewhere earlier as follows...

If bass is a key deciding factor for an IEM, this has it well covered with a sub bass emphasis - another one of these sets that makes me scratch my head as to how much bass can pump out (testing this TRACK at the moment and absolutely blown away!). While they have excellent clarity, they still lean smooth with nice mid warmth plus a good level of detail... decent treble too, certainly not a focus area compared to a set like IE900. Soundstage is very 2-channel speaker like with nice width which for me sounds very natural and familiar I guess. A highly captivating, engaging, addictive IEM. I'm definitely going to hide them away soon so as to spend time with Loki.

So in summary, I effing love this set :)

TS-316-2.jpg

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 58
Majid Jordan's latest album "Good People – After Hours", Tears in Your Eyes – volume 24
Warm mid-bass, intimate warmth and depth, layered tactile instruments and textured vocals. Percussions have warm textural decay and impact.
Cool to see Majid Jordan getting some love, Patience has been my favorite song for years now, followed by Warm.

Been trying to decide between this and the faudio spring, thanks for the insights!

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #29 of 58
I have mine two days now and absolutely love them - I've been through and still own many single DDs, and these definitely rank highly. I shared some impressions elsewhere earlier as follows...

If bass is a key deciding factor for an IEM, this has it well covered with a sub bass emphasis - another one of these sets that makes me scratch my head as to how much bass can pump out (testing this TRACK at the moment and absolutely blown away!). While they have excellent clarity, they still lean smooth with nice mid warmth plus a good level of detail... decent treble too, certainly not a focus area compared to a set like IE900. Soundstage is very 2-channel speaker like with nice width which for me sounds very natural and familiar I guess. A highly captivating, engaging, addictive IEM. I'm definitely going to hide them away soon so as to spend time with Loki.

So in summary, I effing love this set :)

TS-316-2.jpg
How is treble (and general techs) compared to Perpetua?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back