Time to upgrade ATH-A900s...recommendations?
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

runeofearth

New Head-Fier
My gripes with the A900s:
I completely rebuilt my current a900 once. New pads, new wires, housing. and now the plastic housing is falling apart...again... the pleather pads flake and flatten over time placing my ears closer to the drivers... It's time to to move on...

I'd prefer to stay between $200-300 but I'd be willing to spend a more for a good "deal".

My requirements are basically:
Needs to be closed headphones.
I listen to pretty much everything...so something good all-around?
My source is Asus Xonar D2X sound card. will probably upgrade soon, but will be PC audio.

I'm open to un-amped or amp/can combo recommendations.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, I don't have and have never heard the A900s but I do have the ATH AD700s which are the same style but just not closed back. I have just bought the AKG K550s and they have a very good soundstage considering they are fully closed. Almost as good as my open back pair. Even though I have not tried the A900s, I have read about them and the pads don't look the best. The K550s are very well built and the pads to me don't feel like they will fall apart at all. People say the K550s have a very bright top end in the treble but because I am used to open back headphones, it does not sound extremely bright to me. The bass on the K550s is very deep and powerful but then again, I may just think that because my AD700s are so bass light.
I only thought that my ATH AD700s would be a little similar to your ATH A900s because they are both in the Audio Technica ATH-A range of headphones.

I hope this post helps a little.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 6
were your akgs running through a amp?

i wish there were some test show rooms in ny/nj area... I wouldn't mind dropping $1000 if I could see and hear the cans quality in person...

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 6
  My gripes with the A900s:
I completely rebuilt my current a900 once. New pads, new wires, housing. and now the plastic housing is falling apart...again... the pleather pads flake and flatten over time placing my ears closer to the drivers... It's time to to move on...
I'd prefer to stay between $200-300 but I'd be willing to spend a more for a good "deal".
My requirements are basically:
Needs to be closed headphones.
I listen to pretty much everything...so something good all-around?
My source is Asus Xonar D2X sound card. will probably upgrade soon, but will be PC audio.
I'm open to un-amped or amp/can combo recommendations.

You could get a Schiit Magni (or Objective 2) external headphone amplifier and plug it into the D2X.
That combo could last for awhile, currently Asus does not offer any sound card that would be better the combo. With one of those amplifiers, you would have a wide selection headphones to choose from.

On eBay there are several used AKG K550s, I think there was one for $125+$11 shipping.
Also HarmanAudio (AKG) sell refurb K550s with factory warranties, on eBay

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 6
  I'm looking through the FS/FT forum and there is a magni/modi combo FS. Do you guys think a external DAC would be worth the money? over my current setup?

If you just want the setup just for music and no movies or gaming and you sold off the D2X, I would guess it's worth it.
But if you would have uses for the D2X, then just buy an amp (no DAC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back