Time to get a second pair of cans (Sony MDR-7506 currentyl). Purpose: Production - Mixing/Mastering
Aug 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Docter

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So in '10 I asked you guys about getting my first pair of nice entry-level cans, and I ended up picking up the Sony MDR-7506's upon certain requests and my own testing (I must have A/B'd the HD 280's with the 7506's for like 2 hours at Sam Ash lol). I was very happy with this choice so thank the community for helping me pick 
beyersmile.png

I'm now two years into my production career and I'd like to dip into a new pair of cans.

I do 80% electronic music (multiple genres) and the rest of my time is spent on orchestral, sound design, and hip-hop. Anything else comes in very sparingly.

One of the major concerns I have with the 7506 is it's very close... I'm not sure if the term is imaging or soundstage. I listened to my friends HD650's once and was absolutely amazed at the space of the sound.

Open back or closed back is okay. 

The pairs that I've personally researched and read about are the following:
  1. Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro
  2. AKG K702
  1. KRK-KNS 8400

I'm leaning towards the AKG K702.

I am not necessarily looking to "upgrade." (I use quotes because I've read many professional audio techs use 7506's. This is also the internet so who knows 
L3000.gif
). Perhaps there's a pair that could compliment my 7506's

Summary:

Purpose: Production, Mixing, and Mastering.

Price Range - Less than $400 

Genre - Electronic, Hip-hop, Orchestral, Sound Design

System - recent iMac.

----

If there's an amp/can combo that costs ~$600-$700 I would consider that too. 

I hope that's enough info :) Thanks audio brethren.

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 2
Get the K702. I use them in my soundbooth in an auditorium, and they are perfect. Get them and you will NOT regret it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back