Time to consolidate my iPod 'issues'
May 18, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
...10mins later, I have my 15GB filled to the brim...

ummm NOW you're scaring me
please tell me this is exagurrated time because else there's something seriously wrong with my Audigy 2 or somethin'...

My average transfer's around 6MB/sec so in about 40 mins (give or take 3-5) the 15 gig iPod's full but 10 min to fill it up
confused.gif

bangraman:
  • as you already know, NO it doesn't HAVE to be MM that you use...in fact I'm very excited about iTunes being ported to Windows by the end of this year ... I gotta admit iTunes almost makes me wanna buy a Mac (unlike annoying switch commercials)
  • on the Ephpod webpage there's a link to an EXCELLENT ID3 tagger that you can simply rightclick a folder, set an album, composer or whatever name and "lock" it and then it's written to every single mp3 in the folder...or custom selections ... it's the best ID3 tagger I've seen to date.
  • I couldn't agree more with you on the EQ ... my previous and only mp3 player was a Rio300 and it had like 4 settings - Classical, Jazz, Rock and nothing I think ... and I gotta admit I really enjoyed having it in Jazz for some songs and Rock worked great too...the iPod EQs all feel so wrong somehow. Custom user-adjusted EQs'd be the best...pray for that in 3.0 of the firmware.
  • the crashes are odd, if it were just button sensitivity (or rather lack of such at times) I'd totaly agree but that whole Japanese or settings being messed up thing's not right, if it keeps it up I'd visit the Apple store and ask what's the deal, if a button won't respond just touch another button and there ya go, pressing the one that didn't respond will make it respond after you've tried something else, however I admit that CAN get annoying and I'm honestly most concerned about that being fixed in the next firmware.

btw, some people say if they hold down their finger on the buttons for a bit longer they avoid the button "crash" (no response bug) so I don't know, haven't tried that but give it a shot if it's really getting on your nerves.

Lastly I'm keeping my MM 8.0 for CD Ripping ... it's the best lazy way of ripping to anything (wav OR mp3) and I've loved the app since version 4 or 5 for that ... but the iPod part of it is the one lacking ... I just disabled the thing that fires it up each time I connect my iPod
biggrin.gif

Nick

May 18, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #32 of 62
Thanks all... I was playing about more yesterday and I think I've more or less figured out the software side. If only the EQ could be made to work... I really need more bass when I'm out with the ATH-EM7.

May 18, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #33 of 62
I've had an Ipod for over a year. I just got n Odussey 1000. Despite the reviews on it I find it much better then the Ipod. Like u my Ipod sometimes crashes and I find it crashing more now then when I fist got it. That's why I thought i'd give the Odussey a try. I use mine with ETY4s and they work great. Most of my Mp3 are 190 to 320 so the Edy's are not overkill.

The Odussey has Equalizer and like the Ipod kinda sucks. The Odussey also has SRS "WOW" which sometimes I flip on just for the change. One of the things I like best about the Odssey is the button placement.. It is similiar to the Ipod but real buttons. Thus I don't make accidental mistakes that many Ipod users seem to comment on.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

May 18, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #34 of 62
OK... Still having tag problems.

I drag and drop the folders into Ephpod, and it asks me the same thing as in the sync, to put in the tag details. It's asking me for practically every file I'm dragging and dropping! I don't have that much time... How to get aorund this problem?

May 19, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #35 of 62
I think most of your iPod problems will be solved once you get your hands on iTunes for windows. As far as I know, Apple has plans in the works for a windows version, and I expect it will have all the functionality and easy of use that mac users enjoy. Personally, I've had no problems to speak of with my iPod, it's always worked perfectly. If you're patient, and wait a bit for the software, I expect you'll enjoy it much more. Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #36 of 62
my way or the highway
[/end of miserable Limp Bizkit impression]

okay so seriously now ... I know we're all lazy but it it's a 1 time thing to set your ID3 tags right (unless you know, you delete all your mp3s forgetting you had ID3 tags for them that took ya a few days to make.

Knowing the nature of most people on here (lazy unwilling to click links and all
very_evil_smiley.gif
j/k folks that's me actually
tongue.gif
) here's a pic of my favorite ID3 tagger that I still somehow think you did not see the link to from Ephpod's website ...

MP3ext34.png

^ German programmers rule
biggrin.gif

so anyhow now I hope I grabbed your interest ... the link to the official webpage is MP3ext and the instructions on use are HERE

In short your most favorite thing should be the "<>" button because if you click it whatever's typed will be applied to all mp3s selected.

Now, I admit I never read the instructions and I highly believe you won't have to either ... it just felt so right using it and I just assumed the button's do what they did and I happened to assume right.
smily_headphones1.gif

I never dragged and dropped folders in Ephpod, just added a single folder to it (it had all my mp3 sub-folders). and it never asked me anything, but just in case it ever would, I thought I saw some automatic option about that, I'd have to look into it.

Hope this helps...

Nick

May 19, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
OK... Still having tag problems.

I drag and drop the folders into Ephpod, and it asks me the same thing as in the sync, to put in the tag details. It's asking me for practically every file I'm dragging and dropping! I don't have that much time... How to get aorund this problem?

dude. I swear, most of your problems with ephpod would be solved if you just RTFM..
smily_headphones1.gif

anyways, ephpod has an option to 'use filenename' if the tag is not correct. Basically, it will just use the file name instead of looking at the tag.

read this: http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/dennx/...oard=ephpodgen

I guarantee you'll find an answer for all your questions.

May 19, 2003 at 10:34 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick3D
ummm NOW you're scaring me
please tell me this is exagurrated time because else there's something seriously wrong with my Audigy 2 or somethin'...

My average transfer's around 6MB/sec so in about 40 mins (give or take 3-5) the 15 gig iPod's full but 10 min to fill it up
confused.gif

yeah, i'm just kidding.. but seriously, i get about 8MB/SEC transfer rates.. I'm using a dedicated TI chipset firewire card... none of that audigy BS crap.

May 19, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #39 of 62
I found a program to mass tag... I then realised that the iPod looks at ID3V2.0 tags and not ID3V1.1 tags (correct?) so I have selected the V2.0 naming. 4 hours later the program is still grinding away at the lightning speed of 1 song every 20 seconds or so. Hopefully it's working though (tried a test, worked) so when it's over I can upload to the iPod. So perhaps only 4 more hours to go before the 1,700 chosen songs are tagged...

The program is MP3 Tag Tools V1.2. http://sourceforge.net/projects/massid3lib

May 19, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

yeah, i'm just kidding.. but seriously, i get about 8MB/SEC transfer rates.. I'm using a dedicated TI chipset firewire card... none of that audigy BS crap.

What? How dare you insult my Audigy's fireware? impossible.

<- *hugs Audigy 2 Platinum*

Actually I'll probably switch over to motherboard's built in firewire as I upgrade my PC towards the end of this year ... unless ... ya know ... I upgrade by buying a Mac. (oh nos, the iPod's hidden mind control features are working flawless
eek.gif
)

Nick

May 19, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

...4 hours later the program is still grinding away at the lightning speed of 1 song every 20 seconds or so.

On WHAT computer? I mean sure it took a bit to apply ID3 tags here and I did some manual work folder by folder so I'd work with 20-200 mp3s at a time, but that program I showed you above ... its mass tag'd take a few sec @ worst ... usually It'd be done with 200 tracks in less than 30 sec and I'd do multiple locks too (Composer and Genere for big folders ... I've found that even on my CDs Composer's not always showing up so I use that as my custom arrange system). Seriously take a look at the app I showed ya few posts above...

Nick

May 19, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #42 of 62
I found that the program goes into mega-slow mode whenever it goes into the background and can't be brought back. It's OK now. All songs I want transferred have been tagged, and I'm transferring them now.

Before that though I had a bit of a drama when the iPod wouldn't announce itself to the PC anymore. I reinstalled the software and it's been cured. All in all, pretty bug-ridden is my impression but possibly not as much as some other MP3 portable solutions.

May 19, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

I found a program to mass tag... I then realised that the iPod looks at ID3V2.0 tags and not ID3V1.1 tags (correct?) so I have selected the V2.0 naming. 4 hours later the program is still grinding away at the lightning speed of 1 song every 20 seconds or so. Hopefully it's working though (tried a test, worked) so when it's over I can upload to the iPod. So perhaps only 4 more hours to go before the 1,700 chosen songs are tagged...

I don't believe the ipod itself reads tags; I believe the ipod reads its internal database (iTunesDB) which is built by ephpod or MMJB or whatever from the tags

In any event, most of my stuff is tagged id3v1 and I have no problems.

One song every 20 seconds sounds terribly slow. A command line tagger I use would take less than 10 minutes, I'd guess. It can create tags from filepath info. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

May 19, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

BS crap? Kind of like baby puppy. Anyway, I have seen sustained transfers of over 9 MB/sec w/ my Audigy 2 card's firewire and my 15 GB iPod.

Stu

May 19, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #45 of 62
I get 1.7-2.5MB/s with my add-on NEC Firewire chipset card using Ephpod. Weird. But OK, I guess, as it still works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back