Time to consolidate my iPod 'issues'
May 16, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
Since a older Mac and a copy of OSX can be had for a few hundred dollars, if I were a dedicated Windows user I would buy one for music management alone.
tongue.gif

i got me a copy of xplay to use, cos i'm getting a mac ipod, but i cant be bothered to reformat it!

May 16, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I've downloaded Ephpod. I'm going to have a play with it when I get a chance. Time to uninstall Musicmatch, I think.

Uninstalling Musicmatch is not a trivial task. Follow the directions on ephpod's homepage (a link to ipodlounge)

Foobar's default sort is by file path. Ipod sorts by tags. That's why "In Foobar they appear under Lambchop. In the iPod they appear" all over the place.

The only times I've had to re-set my 2nd generation ipod is following excessive bouncing. The ipod has a RAM cache - it plays from the cache and reloads the cache from the hard drive when the cache is empty. If the drive is bouncing when it tries to re-load it can crash.

The new ipods seem to be a bit flakier. Some claim a software update is coming to fix the problem.

May 16, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by xcalibur
Cool..this feature is actually gonna be useful for me...i have a pair of inverted 7506s..left channel is right channel...don't ask me how it happened...i bought it off ebay and it came like that...
smily_headphones1.gif

Couldn't you just put them on your head backwards?
wink.gif

May 17, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Couldn't you just put them on your head backwards?
wink.gif

and how could the channels switched make a difference?...the separation's the same, i guess if one ear is tired of hearing the same stuff you could switch it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by xantus
and how could the channels switched make a difference?...the separation's the same, i guess if one ear is tired of hearing the same stuff you could switch it
smily_headphones1.gif

In classical music, it's very important that the instruments be in their expected locations. For example, switching the violins to the right side is very disorienting.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Couldn't you just put them on your head backwards

Yeah..tried it before but the 7506 is less comfortable worn upside down...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog5145
3. I hate how the iPod along with the Nomad hard drive players sorts the mp3's by ID3 tag. I understand some people have very organized music collection by ID3 tag, but many, including me, do not. I organzied my music through detailed folders, with genres followed by artists followed by albums. My ID3 tags are a mess and I do not want to sort that mess. What I would like is an option to either organzie music by ID3 tag or by folders like the navigation on the Iriver players. Is that too hard?

yes, you can do that with the ipod. I am in a similiar situation myself. Some of my older CDS I ripped do not have tags on them. With ephpod, you can just create a folder with all your songs, drag to the ipod and it will generate a playlist for that specific folder.. IMO, one of the BEST features of ephpod.

May 17, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #24 of 62
Stan, how do you do that? When I drag a directory into Ephpod, it sorts it by ID3 tag, not directory structure. Can you enable that feature?

May 18, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

I hate how the iPod along with the Nomad hard drive players sorts the mp3's by ID3 tag. I understand some people have very organized music collection by ID3 tag, but many, including me, do not. I organzied my music through detailed folders, with genres followed by artists followed by albums. My ID3 tags are a mess and I do not want to sort that mess. What I would like is an option to either organzie music by ID3 tag or by folders like the navigation on the Iriver players. Is that too hard?

Spend the time to tag your MP3s; there are lots of utilities out there to help you do it quickly and easily. In the long run it's well worth the effort.

(In fact, I say the Zen and iPod get it right to use ID3 tags -- that's what ID3 tags are for!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 18, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #27 of 62
1) uninstall musicmatch (if it is the version from the CD), and install ephpod instead (other already said this). Another option is to use j. river media center 9

2) Download either J. River Media center 9 (MC 9) to tag your mp3. It has auto-functions to get tag from filename, or folders (ie artist\album\#-name). You can also upload your music to your pod throug this program. get it here
Another option is donwloading a clean version of musicmatch (currently v8 use serial from your cd), and use the auto taggin fuctions - tag from filename or look it up in a database. Once your done you will appriciate that you tagged your files.

3) Dont even buther using the EQ, the only one i like is the dance

4) I havnt hat a crach yet. I have one of the new ones (gen3). If the problem continues take it down to where you brought it.

4. Multiple crashes.
Twice now the iPod only partially responds to my button pressings, doesn't play anything. I've had to reset it (the hold down multiple key things and plug power in).
More frequently it's done odd things like lose time and lose my language settings (Japanese) and refuse to 'stick' when I put them back... Which was cured by selecting the Reset All Settings option. All things considered it's a bit flaky.

May 18, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

I organzied my music through detailed folders, with genres followed by artists followed by albums. My ID3 tags are a mess and I do not want to sort that mess.

Look around, there are mass taggers that will use directory structure to generate id3 tags.

May 18, 2003 at 9:49 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
Stan, how do you do that? When I drag a directory into Ephpod, it sorts it by ID3 tag, not directory structure. Can you enable that feature?

go to options > generate playlist for each directory and check it.

thats all
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2003 at 9:51 AM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I can't seem to get it to work. It prompted me to manually enter the artist and album when I synced????

don't use ephpod to sync.. just upload what you want.

For me, I have all my stuff sorted in folders.. some albums, some genres.. just basically different folders. All I do is , check box where it creates a new playlist for each directory > drag and drop all the folders I want to upload, 10mins later, I have my 15GB filled to the brim. Just let ephpod do the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back