Time for an upgrade, recommendations please
Aug 20, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AndrewZander

Head-Fier
Here is my current set up:

iMac (Apple Lossless) -> Beresford TC-7510 -> Senn. HD-580

So, after having the Beresford TC-7510 for a while - and have been happy with it compared to the output of my iMac, I would like to take a step up.

My target price is about $300, but absolutely no more than $500. I'd like to have some money left over for a cable upgrade for around $120, recommendations?

I've been considering a (used) Apogee Duet. But I wonder if I would be better off getting a dedicated amp since I already have a DAC? If so, which amp would you all recommend that works well with Senn. HD 580 and fits my budget?

Thanks!
Andrew

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 10
My 580s sounded fabulous through a borrowed Glow Audio Amp One I had for a week. The only caveat is the built-in USB DAC in the Glow, which was awful. But you already have that covered. It even has speaker terminals that put out 5 watts per if you ever decide to buy some high efficiency speakers. And it looks mahvelous...

srajan_5.jpg

<$500.

Tim

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 10
You might be interested in the PreSonus Central Station. I had one until I was bitten by vinyl and analog - it did a fine job driving a HD-650 and I ran it from the optical output of a Mac Mini.

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 10
i've got a hornet, and use it sometimes with my hd650, sounds good. so i expect no problems with the hd580. have not heard the others

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 10
I was just curious to see how much the Millett Max was mentioned in the non-diy amp forum, and I found this. It seems us DIYers don't spend alot of time in this forum, but anyway...I personally haven't heard the Millett Max with 580s, but I know I've seen several rave reviews of the combo .... Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Results so the Millett Max gets my vote. Plus it's so configurable to one's specific tastes, and I'm sure if you can't find one in the FS forum, that you can find someone to build you one ...assuming you're not into DIY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back