Time for a new set of headphones.
Nov 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thoughtcriminal

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a good set of headphones. I have set aside $200 for a set. Here are my requirements.

I prefer supra-aural design for the more detailed sound and portability. However, I am open to circumaural design (most cans I'm looking at at circumaural)

While I prefer the sound of open back headphones, I will be needing to use them in noisy environments and thus will require either closed or semi-open design.

I need these to be all purpose headphones. I am an active musician and composer, as well as a huge music buff. They need to be drivable from my portable music player, as well as usable with studio equipment and home stereos.

They must handle a wide variety of music genres well. I listen to symphonies, arias, jazz, progressive rock/metal, electronica, death metal, avante garde metal, math rock, and industrial. I compose industrial, funk, rock and electronica, and play bass and piano/synth.

While I do not consider myself an audiophile, I am a very discerning listener. The headphones must sound full and detailed. Any harshness or unnaturalness is intolerable.

Bass must have a strong presence, but not be overpowering and must be tight.

These headphones will have to live through excessive amounts of abuse. I have broken or blown about 15 pairs of cheap headphones in the last year.

Finally, they must be comfortable enough for extended wear. Its not unusual for me to go 6-8 continuous hours with my headphones on.

all this being said, the two headphones I'm currently looking at are Sennheiser hd280 pro and sony MDR-700DJ. I also hear Denon AHD 1000s are good. I head nothing but good about the sound quality of Grados, however, the lack of comfort and open design is a big turn off. Anyone have other suggestions, or can make any statements as to how these cans stack up to my requirements? One final request. don't suggest bose headphones, as I have listened to them and find myself vastly underwhelmed by them

Thanks a lot.
TC

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 12
I'll preface this by saying that there are about 1000 forum members more qualified to give you recommendations than me. But since they haven't spoke up yet, I'll give it a shot.

The V700dj seems to be fairly disliked here. I did a search and found a variety of owners talking about how the sounds are bloated, its not worth the money, they're terrible, etc. The MDR-V6/7506 cost less than $100 and seem to be the most recommended sonys for the price. I havent used them.

The HD280s are highly recommended by headroom and many like them here. I used a pair for 30 minutes and found them very underwhelming in sound, and dreadfully tight.

The D1000s you mentioned have been recommended a lot lately, supposedly the sound is very good, and they are the most comfortable headphones ever. And they're superaural too. The D1001 (same thing) only costs $70ish on amazon right now.

Beyond what you've mentioned, I'd take a look at the buyer's guide sticky, its quite useful. Your $200 budget gives you access to the vast majority of non-uber expensive headphones, so you have dozens of choices. Have fun!

Just off the top of my head, for closed, superaural, and portable, I've heard good things about the HD25-1II for $188. Never tried them though.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 12
I'd say with your budget, needs and tast, you should give the Ultrasone HFI680 (or for more bass the 780) a try. Easily driven, portable but full-sized, great sound isolation, detailed, great SQ and very versatile style-wise.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 12
I second the HD25-1 as my #1 recommendation.

You should probably scratch the HD280's off of your list if your budget is up to $200.... You can find plenty of better headphones for that much money.

To give you a few other options:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Beyerdynamic DT880 (if you can find them used, or use the live.com cashback offer with eBay Buy-It-Now)
Beyerdynamic DT770 - 80 or 250 ohm

Do some searching on the forums and maybe go to a store to check out your options. Good luck!

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 12
HD25-1 would fit most of what you're asking, but for classical you sacrifice a bit of soundstage. what you get instead however is a more driven sound (obviously because they are closed).

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 12
If you could get away with open headphones, the Sennheiser HD-600 would be almost perfect for you. You can find them for $200 used, as well.

I haven't heard a pair, but a number of people have been going on about the Beyerdynamic DT150. It might be a little over your budget, but I would highly recommend reading the threads on the DT150 and chatting up owners.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 12
A used ATH-ESW9 may be something to check out.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 12
thanks to all of you who have offered your expertise and opinions. I now feel I have a fairly solid short list for my next trip to the local audio store

Sony MDR-V6
Audio Technica ATH-A700
Denon AH-D1000
beyerdynamic DT 770
Ultrasone HFI-780
Audio-Technica ATH-A900

Now, I know good headphones have to be broken in for the best sound, but how much can I rely on the sound straight out of the box? Can the end quality be somewhat accurately judged by that brand new sound?

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 12
I think the Sennheiser HD25 1 IIs deserve to be on that list.

I'd scratch off the D1001s (or D1000s, same thing) for three reasons:
1. They don't isolate sound much.
2. They're not very portable, and I wouldn't subject mine to much abuse as they seem fragile.
3. They're not all that multi-purpose, their weak point being classical (you mentioned symphonies and arias).

Also, they're not supra-aural for most people.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Sennheiser HD25 1 IIs deserve to be on that list.

I'd scratch off the D1001s (or D1000s, same thing) for three reasons:
1. They don't isolate sound much.
2. They're not very portable, and I wouldn't subject mine to much abuse as they seem fragile.
3. They're not all that multi-purpose, their weak point being classical (you mentioned symphonies and arias).

Also, they're not supra-aural for most people.

I looked carefully at the HD25 1 II, but decided against them for 3 reasons.
1. almost every review I've seen complains of the comfort.
2. many people have said that they have a hard time handling orchestra strings and cymbals.
3. for being at the top of my price range, I don't feel like compromising anything on my list. I don't feel they are worth the price with their flaws.
that being said, if the store I go to has them, I certainly will give them a listen.

The weakness of the Denons is a concern, as is the said poor classical performance. they are being put in the same group as the HD25 1 IIs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back