Time for a new notebook - PC or MAC ??
Oct 2, 2003 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
Hey All

Today's gear: Compaq Presario 1900 - Pentium 450, 20Mb HD, 198 Mb memory, XP Pro etc. etc...

I will give it to my wife.

Next machine applications:

a) Photoshop
b) Music recording ( amateur home studio )
c) MS Office components (word, Excel etc )
d) MP3 handling
e) Web nav
f) Email

Should I go PC or Mac ?

How much money I will spend on software using a Powerbook G4?

Is MS Office and Photoshop more expensive for Mac's ?

So, the question is: Soft-wise speaking, if I spend US 1000 for a PC, how much I would expend for a Mac? What is the "ratio"?

Sorry for my English !!

Best

Ari

confused.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 67
I am by no means an expert, but if you already have PC software, and you were happy with Windows and with the PC, I would be inclined to stick with PC. That way, you will also negate the possibility of compatibility problems between the Mac and your wife's PC. As for home recording, I am sure the Mac will probably be the preferred option, but I am pretty sure that the PC will hold its own. What programs do you/have you used?

For the record, my bias is with PC. I tried working with Mac OSX for about 7 months and just didn't like it. I am now very happy with an IBM T40 Thinkpad running WinXP. My main applications are similar to yours, with the exception of music/MP3s.

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 67
I'd say Mac, but then again I'm biased
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, give the Mac portables a try. Price ratio is about the same, and Office prices are the same.

But if you decide against the Mac, I highly recommend the IBM Thinkpad over all other makes. Thinkpads are a tad more expensive, but usually more durable and trustworthy than their competitors (like Dell, Toshiba).

--Chris

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 67
I'd get a mac....so it might be a choice between the iBook and Powerbook...they're more expensive than PC notebooks, but all mac's use their own proprietary software and hardware...to me, all mac's are more or less the same but differ in their processing capabilities...

the same can be said for factory PC's and notebook PC's....but the PC market is such that there's a lot of DIY software and hardware out there....in my opinion, notebooks and PC's by compaq, dell, HP, etc, have all these proprietary drivers and programs that could really screw things up if you have to reinstall Windows and don't have 'their' software packages....

If you wish to get a PC and stick with Windows due to the familiarity of the OS and the fact that there is a lot more software available, I'd get a Sony Vaio notebook....but those are kinda pricey too...

Oct 2, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 67
The G-4 can't touch the Pentium-M processor.

I have a TiBook G4 and an IBM Thinkpad T40, so this is not coming from bias for/against either computer. On one hand, the Pentium-M is a fast and powerful processor, on the other hand, Mac OS X is clearly the better operating system. I feel that ultimately, right now, Intel's got the best laptop system and Apple's got the best desktop.

Of course, down the road when the G5's start making it into laptops, then there will be some competition.

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 67
For me the choice would have a lot to do with which input methods are supported. IBM has the trackpoint, the little red button that controls the mouse. I really like them. Apple and just about everyone else has a touchpad - maybe you get used to it but I haven't been able to.

If I had to buy one today, IBM T40 no question. I've had two thinkpads (600 and T22) and they have been rock solid. Make sure to get the larger screen (1400x1050) or better.

IBM does not have problems with drivers. You can download everything you need for a complete reinstall including drivers from the web site, in the unlikely event than Windows XP doesn't support it all out of the box. This is a big point against mfrs like Sony, who are not so helpful.

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 67
I just switched from PC to Mac. I was using a Dell Inspiron notebook, and now I have the new 15 inch powerbook G4. I am SO happy I made the change. OSX is much nicer to use than XP after the initial change. The biggest improvement however, is the design of the notebook. It is relatively light, but extremely well balanced. The power cord and adapter are small and coils up and locks together so it does not come undone. The keyboard is full-size and has a nice tactile sensation. It lights up in a dim environment so you can see the keys at night. The volume keys, eject button and brightness keys actually work (they never did for my dell). the computer runs very quiet and it does not get uncomfortably hot on my lap.

As an avid user of photoshop, I can tell you that it costs the exact same for Mac, and it has better color synchronization. In other words, the color that you scan the picture in at is the same as it is in photoshop, and is the same as it comes out at the printer (within reason). If you get an external display (the 20 inch), you have the best LCD's on the market. The 20 inch is astonishing. Iphoto is also an excellent program. Microsoft Office is also the same price on mac and runs very well. Entourage is far superior to Outlook (this struck me as very odd...but it is just better.).
Of course, for music and MP3 it can't be beat. ITunes and the IPod and the ITunes music store are all perfectly integrated.
And then you get the Isight which actually works! I am having daily free awesome face to face conversations with my sister who lives in New York. I am in california. It is truly amazing. I think "The future is here -- Videophone" Just like in the sci-fi movies.
Last but not least, you have the wireless capabilities. Airport extreme is simple to use and works SO well. I am no longer tethered to the wall to do email. I even went to a local cafe and saw they had free wireless. I just clicked a button and I was checking my email and working on the net.
I am a total convert. I don't know why I waited so long. My experience has just been so much better! Go with the mac I say. Seemless integration and smart design make it the ultimate for what you want to do.
best,
Stuart

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 67
The keyboard is full-size and has a nice tactile sensation. It lights up in a dim environment so you can see the keys at night.

IBM is known to have the best keyboards in the business, I know MacDEF will say Apple ones are just as good, but IBM ones are better
biggrin.gif

Microsoft just started selling Student editions for Mac OSX, which is nice.

Quote:

the Isight which actually works!

It may work, but it comes with no software

In short, I'm a windows freak, and have more invested in software than most have in plain electronics (including PCs, etc.)...but I think Apples are good, I'd get an IBM just because they are better performers for the money right now, I highly doubt apple will come out with a G5 notebook, when considering it's outrageous power consumption, but it's a viable option if you like that platform better.

In short, IBM or Apple, based on which you like better, either way you'll be happy with your purchase, they're the 2 at the top with respect to laptops.

Oct 3, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
But if you decide against the Mac, I highly recommend the IBM Thinkpad over all other makes. Thinkpads are a tad more expensive, but usually more durable and trustworthy than their competitors (like Dell, Toshiba).

This cannot be emphasized enough. IBM makes the best PC compatible laptops, end of story. The Cisco aeronet 350 802.11b adaptor blows Intel's "centrino" system away, unfortunatly it isn't avalible for personal order.

Expensive, but very much worth the prices.

I don't like how the mac keyboards like to leave oil on the screen.

Oct 3, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 67
seems like everyone has already said all the good stuff about macs. but i'll just tell ya that i love our 12 inch ibook. too slow for your photoshop stuff, but then there's the powerbooks...

Oct 3, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 67
Get the Mac. Apple's laptops are so much nicer than anything in the PC world. And for your uses, I think you'll find the G4 to be very competitive speed wise with wintel laptops. photoshop and mp3 encoding take very good advantage of the vector processing unit.

Oct 3, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 67
I currently have the 12" Powerbook with slot loading Superdrive. My wife is a freelance Graphic Designer and she uses Photoshop, Quark and Indesign all the time on it. That is when she isn't using her G4, soon to be G5...

Oct 3, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 67
Lucky wife!

Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
I currently have the 12" Powerbook with slot loading Superdrive. My wife is a freelance Graphic Designer and she uses Photoshop, Quark and Indesign all the time on it. That is when she isn't using her G4, soon to be G5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back