Time For A New CD Drive For Ripping CDs: Any Ideas?
Jul 12, 2014 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

XIX47

100+ Head-Fier
See this thread for background info:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726144/hearing-static-when-playing-flac-files-of-star-wars-the-music-of-star-wars-30th-anniversary-with-foobar2000#post_10700371

In my ongoing sage for hi-fi audio music, I recently acquired another movie soundtrack collection, the LOTR trilogy to rip FLAC files. I used foobar2000 and free version dbpoweramp to have multiple copies. While trying to cancel one of the multiple rips with DB, the CD Drive make a lot of unique noises and the DB software crashed, forcing me to reboot my computer. After rebooting and placing another CD in, the CD fails to rip 2/3 to 3/4ths of ripping tasks, while making much noise and locking up the DB & Foobar2000 software.

After all of that, there is still noticeable crackling in some of the tracks, mostly in the 2nd CD The Two Towers, but not as severe as the SW soundtrack. For the most part, they were very accurate according to accurate rip. So now I am wondering if the CD drive is a culprit for the crackling/static in my rips.

Here is my current CD Drive:

http://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/DRW24B1ST/

So, is there any specific CD drives I should look for to replace this drive? Or is a generic cd drive sufficient to rip FLACs accurately without errors?

This has been a very frustrating experience for me so far.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 5
Technically, your using a DVD burner, to play your music CDs from (no big deal).
But might as well just buy another DVD burner, to play the music CDs, personally I like to use Lite-on drive/burners.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 5
  Technically, your using a DVD burner, to play your music CDs from (no big deal).
But might as well just buy another DVD burner, to play the music CDs, personally I like to use Lite-on drive/burners.

Yeah, sorry about that. I meant "Ripping", not burning CDs. I am not sure how I made such a typo error.

So, would another CD/DVD burner be adequate for ripping CDs for FLAC files? I really do not want to experience another drive failure like this again.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 5
With modern error checking the drive you use shouldn't make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back