Tiered Headphone Buyer's Guide
Jun 14, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, I've never heard the denon d5000s...they are really rated that high?....above the legendary R10s?...hmmm....googling the denon 5000s now.

They're only higher alphabetically.
wink.gif

I had originally placed them lower, but a member suggested that I move them up.

I think some people are trying to turn my little guide into something it's not. There's a reason why I don't have any prices, characteristics, or whatever else. This list is really no substitute for extensive research. It's only meant to group stuff by relative sound quality and performance. Each tier is only ordered alphabetically, and I'll concede that maybe a couple things are arguably misplaced. That's where you guys come in.

As for people calling this a pointless exercise, I'd like to say that I've already learned a couple things from the responses here, so it's clearly not pointless. This is probably as much for my own edification as anything else. More responses, please!

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #47 of 52
I keep following this one and I'm with the crowd. I'm surprised that there isn't a greater outpouring of emotion from the Grado fans to move the likes of the RS-1 up.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #48 of 52
I just saw this thread, and I am not sure this is going to work.

The fact that I made the thread above aside, you simply cannot classify headphones in this way. There are too many variables.

Take for instance the K240 Sextett. There are three versions, each with a unique sound. Which tier do they go in? Some say they are amazing, and should be up there with the best! Others say they sound average or poor, and belong with the rest in lower tiers.

I made my guide for a reason, and that was to simply put all of the information out there for new members to see. I chose to organize it by price point, because that is what most people use to determine what to buy in todays market. Not all of us have unlimited amounts of money to spend on this hobby (in fact, i would say most of us have very little
biggrin.gif
).

I understand why this would be helpful, but I think it would be easier to simply search through the other threads and draw your own conclusions based on the available data.

Just my 2 cents.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I almost forgot: I realize my thread is a little out of date, and I will be working in the coming days to make it better, and to update the information.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #49 of 52
Sextett Tier 0
smily_headphones1.gif
nahh. Like people said before, way too many variables/preferences etc.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #51 of 52
atothex, I don't think it is pessimism, I think it is a matter of people trying to inform you that there are too many variables to get even close to a list that would reflect a 'general view', let alone consensus.

You can see already that the D5000 have been moved to tier one, yet the D2000 are still in tier 3. Many people are of the view that there are only minor differences between the two (there was a suggestion that they used different drivers, but that has since been shown to be incorrect).

The K701 is in tier three, which is in the same tier as the D2000 - a whole 2 tiers below the D5000! I can confirm that they are not in the same class. Many people here would put the K501 in at least one class above the K701.

For every comment you will get about putting one can into a higher category, you will get at least one other suggesting it should be in a lower one.

It was a good initiative, but utlimately required some way to objectively assess one can against another - there is no such way. You have generated some discussion and some thought here, so the thread still serves a purpose.

As I stated in my initial response to this thread - consensus on head-fi?

This thread may serve as launchpad for a "which headphone do you prefer" league table (or knockout) - as suggested by duggeh. I have seen these on other forums. They might serve a useful purpose, but also seem to be a bit of fun.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is in tier three, which is in the same tier as the D2000 - a whole 2 tiers below the D5000! I can confirm that they are not in the same class.

Umm, okay, but which do you think should be ranked higher -- the D2000 or the K701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back