Tiered Headphone Buyer's Guide
Jun 14, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does everything have to be shoved into a hierarchy? When you factor in amplification (critical to headphone performance) and how music and sources play in, the possibilities approach the infinite.

I'm not trying to slam the OP, it's just that trying to nail this down will produce 20 pages of comments, ruffled feathers and no conclusion.

Personally, I like the appreciation threads for each particular model. That way you can see what groups of owners think, what they listen to and what gear they use with it. That gives a fuller idea of what each, individual, headphone is capable of. That's useful.

While I agree with you on variances due to factoring in of amplification and sources, I think this hierarchy is pretty intuitive. IMO, higher tiers represent higher potential of sonic improvement in the cans with proper sourcing and amplification, as well as necessity to be amped. And grouping similar tier cans together would help new or upgrading headfiers upon researching their next purchase.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where should they go, then?

I basically agree with everyone's comments so far. I realize this is a very difficult concept to implement, but let's give it our best shot, anyway.
wink.gif

BTW should I have more tiers? Less tiers?

I think Tier 4 and 5 can be unified, and k501/k601 could be moved up to tier 3. With the addition of more lower tier cans, I think the tiers can eventually balanced.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that level shasty, you really cannot break things up as neatly. Certainly not with sonics as the principle consideration. The "bottom" tiers will end up with hundreds of entries.

I agree that there will be many ambiguous tierings, but I disagree with your latter assertion. Headfi members have filtered many lower tiered cans, and there are limited number of lower-tier cans that have continuous popularity and mention in head-fi. For example, I highly doubt any of bose cans will ever be mentioned in this hierarchy.
Okay, I'll stop threadwhoring.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree with you on variances due to factoring in of amplification and sources, I think this hierarchy is pretty intuitive. IMO, higher tiers represent higher potential of sonic improvement in the cans with proper sourcing and amplification, as well as necessity to be amped. And grouping similar tier cans together would help new or upgrading headfiers upon researching their next purchase.

I agree with the sentiment of your comments. On a personal note, each time I improve my source or amp the K701 takes it all in their stride. I don't know where the SQ ceiling is on these things, but based on the category on page 1, I for one would vote the K701 into a higher category. I was able to find the boundaries of the D2000 quite quickly, but the K701 just keeps stepping up to the mark.

I have unfortunately not heard any of the cans in the tier 1 category, but I have read here a number of people who prefer cans listed in category 2 & 3 cans in preference to some of those listed in category 1.

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd put the Bose Triport AE over the K81DJ or HD280 Pro without hesitation.

Bah I should've known not to comment on cans I haven't tried.
rolleyes.gif

But still, am I wrong to say that headfier's will have enough discretion to omit horrible headphones in the lower tiers?

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #22 of 52
Why would HD580s be a tier below the HD600, simply because they're cheaper now?

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #23 of 52
This is a great piece of work and of some utility. That said, it's bound to stir the pot pretty well as there is such a subjective component to this analysis. I for one would move up Denon 5000s and move down the 701s although I own four pairs. Like Uncle Erik I also think that amplification can't be ignored and that some of these phones change significantly in "balanced configuration" or with typical recabling.

I laud your efforts at hammering this into a user friendly matrix though.

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't heard either, unfortunately. The tierings are all semi-informed guesses.

As for the whole tweaking/amplification/source argument, let's just assume the headphones are all stock and are given the best quality/quantity of info fed in, ie. maximized potential. I did include a couple modded versions, because those seem to be pretty popular for those particular cans.

I see one person asked to move the K701 up, and one asked to move it down already. I guess that means it's staying put until further notice. =)

Now, I edited the list per the suggestions, but now it has the Bose Triport AEs in with the DT770s and A900s, two fairly popular cans on this forum. Is that the right place?

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a great piece of work and of some utility. That said, it's bound to stir the pot pretty well as there is such a subjective component to this analysis. I for one would move up Denon 5000s and move down the 701s although I own four pairs. Like Uncle Erik I also think that amplification can't be ignored and that some of these phones change significantly in "balanced configuration" or with typical recabling.

I laud your efforts at hammering this into a user friendly matrix though.

Thanks. So you're saying I should move both the D5000 and Markl modded D5000 in with the big boys? I think everyone who's heard the 2 say the Markl is better.

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #26 of 52
Verry intereestinggg! Although I agree with the comments about subjectivity ranging from love to hate in most headphones, the OP has a point in painting a broad picture of the consensus in this forum. Is in a sense, the collective thoughts of the majority (although I am sure there is a sizable minority bordering in the majority!) of head-fiers. At least it generates discussion and ideas and provides a framework of reference for some of us with less experience.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #27 of 52
Where are HD201,202,212,205 & 215?

Tier 4? coz HD280 is also there

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #29 of 52
Great idea. But hard to get right, since we all have different preferences and rank certain 'phone above/below what someone else would rank the exact same 'phone.

You are missing a lot of 'phones as well.
Example the whole Stax line, besides the Omega 2 which you have in Tier 1. SR-Omega, 4070, SR-404, SR-Lambda, SR-Lambda Signature, SR-Lambda Pro, ...

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, as incongruent as placing the HD650 a tier above the HD600.... or the whole tiering thing.
Everything is too personal in this hobby to meet any agreement but for just a few cans at the top level, which I'm not completely sure -at least a few ones- are there for their true performance or just for their cult status due to their price and/or being discontinued.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back