Tidal vs dap
Apr 27, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 11
First difference will be dependent on the phone and phone app you are using. If streaming from Android phone using the native Tidal app, you'll be limited to 48kHz (android limitation). The UAPP or Neutron apps for Android avoid this Android limitation and give you full streaming rates, for the trade-off of a bit of hassle in the setup and (in my opinon) a lesser user interface experience. I have no experience with Apple.

That said, I stream directly from the Tidal app on my Android phone all the time when I'm away from home. The potential differences in SQ compared to dealing with a DAP / DAC / extra cables just isn't worth it in my opinion. When I'm out and about, loud environments and distractions FAR outweigh any SQ improvements provided by an 'audiophile' portable solution. I used to lug a Chord Mojo around, but finally realized the better sound wasn't noticeable when out in public. I still use a iDSD Micro black label around my house, but that's it.

TL;DR - SQ difference depends on app you use on your phone and the noise level in the environment you will be using it in. Weigh those differences against the convenience factor of only carrying a phone.

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 11
TL;DR - SQ difference depends on app you use on your phone and the noise level in the environment you will be using it in. Weigh those differences against the convenience factor of only carrying a phone.[/QUOTE]
First difference will be dependent on the phone and phone app you are using. If streaming from Android phone using the native Tidal app, you'll be limited to 48kHz (android limitation). The UAPP or Neutron apps for Android avoid this Android limitation and give you full streaming rates, for the trade-off of a bit of hassle in the setup and (in my opinon) a lesser user interface experience. I have no experience with Apple.

That said, I stream directly from the Tidal app on my Android phone all the time when I'm away from home. The potential differences in SQ compared to dealing with a DAP / DAC / extra cables just isn't worth it in my opinion. When I'm out and about, loud environments and distractions FAR outweigh any SQ improvements provided by an 'audiophile' portable solution. I used to lug a Chord Mojo around, but finally realized the better sound wasn't noticeable when out in public. I still use a iDSD Micro black label around my house, but that's it.

TL;DR - SQ difference depends on app you use on your phone and the noise level in the environment you will be using it in. Weigh those differences against the convenience factor of only carrying a phone.
Thank you for the answer! I should have added, I use an Iphone X with Dragonfly red

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 11
I have the Dragonfly red and used it with my Android phone for a while. It does sound better than straight out of the phone, but my primary 'on-the-go' use case is in airports/airplanes, and those environments have so much external noise that any benefits the Dragonfly gave me weren't apparent. When I used it around the house, it was worth it. Lately I'm more concerned about convenience unless sitting at my desktop setup.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 11
I have the Dragonfly red and used it with my Android phone for a while. It does sound better than straight out of the phone, but my primary 'on-the-go' use case is in airports/airplanes, and those environments have so much external noise that any benefits the Dragonfly gave me weren't apparent. When I used it around the house, it was worth it. Lately I'm more concerned about convenience unless sitting at my desktop setup.

1000% agree with this. For me to discern any difference with amps, daps, etc. compared to audio straight out of my phone, I need a quiet environment.

For portable on-the-go listening, best return will be to upgrade the headphones / earphones that you use and this will generally trump the use of upgraded amps/dac/cables, etc.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 11
1000% agree with this. For me to discern any difference with amps, daps, etc. compared to audio straight out of my phone, I need a quiet environment.

For portable on-the-go listening, best return will be to upgrade the headphones / earphones that you use and this will generally trump the use of upgraded amps/dac/cables, etc.
I already have good IEMs (Sony ex1000, Fearless Audio s8f and others), and thee reason why I posted this is because I was wondering how much I am loosing by not having a DAP. And can you really tell the difference between 48khz and higher sample rates?

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 11
I think you’re more likely to notice a difference due to the potential for a better amplifier circuit in your average DAP compared to your average smartphone. That’s the reason I’ve ordered an iBasso DX220 - the difference with the same source files is readily apparent to me for my iPhone (6sPlus) vs. my Echobox Explorer (Sound good. Everything else meh) using my IEMs (Shure SE535, CA Andromeda) and particularly my larger headphones (Meze 99 classics, Massdrop HD6XX and HE4XX). I actually use the open backs on my cycle commute sometimes (quiet ride), hood up for the wind noise, since I have better situational awareness than with a full-seal IEM. If I’m listening at home I’m very rarely sitting in one specific place, so upgrading my portable system seemed the wise choice - and a system without separate bits connected by multiple cables seemed even wiser.

May 7, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 11
But the amplifier circuitry is in my Dragonfly red, which is a pretty clean amp/dac. Everything before that is digital signal with lossless format. I’m struggling to see the benefits of a dap unless one has a big library or doesn’t wanna pay for streaming. For me streaming is the way to go. Still I’d like to compare my setup to an expensive dap and listen for any improvement. Maybe one day...

May 31, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 11
But the amplifier circuitry is in my Dragonfly red, which is a pretty clean amp/dac. Everything before that is digital signal with lossless format. I’m struggling to see the benefits of a dap unless one has a big library or doesn’t wanna pay for streaming. For me streaming is the way to go. Still I’d like to compare my setup to an expensive dap and listen for any improvement. Maybe one day...
Right there with you. I have a hard time seeing how a dedicated DAP will do Tidal MQA streaming better than my LG phones for casual listening and LG phones plus a MQA certified DAC for serious portability. I'm happy to be corrected, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back