Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Nov 20, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,411 of 1,853
I'm done with Apple products and services! Tidal has worked well for me. I tried Qobuz but it was constantly pausing and having streaming issues in my car while Tidal worked perfectly for me. Tidal is also cheaper for me.

The Qobuz app itself isn’t great and far behind others for personal discovery. Thru roon, none of that matters but can’t use roon outside the house. The other drawbacks are there is no Connect feature like Tidal and Qobuz catalog still has a lot of holes. It’s much better than when first introduced to US but seems to be lacking compared to all other streaming services.

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #1,413 of 1,853
I'm done with Apple products and services! Tidal has worked well for me. I tried Qobuz but it was constantly pausing and having streaming issues in my car while Tidal worked perfectly for me. Tidal is also cheaper for me.
TIDAL works for me too. I have Qobuz as well. The TIDAL desktop app does everything I need to discover great new music. I have Roon to play music around the house, but I prefer TIDAL for music discovery (yes, even compared to Roon Radio). I can control the direction of music discovery better with TIDAL - e.g. Track Radio, Masters Track Radio, Suggested Tracks, Artist Radio, etc.

The Producers and Songwriters mixes are a fantastic part of TIDAL exploration and discovery. All the apps are stable and easy to use. The offline playlists work perfectly on DAPs when I'm out and about. TIDAL isn't perfect, but it does most of everything that I need it to do.

Oh, and it's all about the music!

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #1,414 of 1,853
TIDAL works for me too. I have Qobuz as well. The TIDAL desktop app does everything I need to discover great new music. I have Roon to play music around the house, but I prefer TIDAL for music discovery (yes, even compared to Roon Radio). I can control the direction of music discovery better with TIDAL - e.g. Track Radio, Masters Track Radio, Suggested Tracks, Artist Radio, etc.

The Producers and Songwriters mixes are a fantastic part of TIDAL exploration and discovery. All the apps are stable and easy to use. The offline playlists work perfectly on DAPs when I'm out and about. TIDAL isn't perfect, but it does most of everything that I need it to do.

Exactly, all about the music.

I never had any trouble with MQA. Tidal works best for me, and I enjoy it.

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,415 of 1,853

You are bringing up some good points regarding Tidal and you are right it is all about the music at the end of the day.

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,416 of 1,853

I agree, I switched to Apple six months ago and it just pushes pop music and doesn’t give me the indie genres or similar that I like. My wife keeps complaining about Apple too and she likes pop music. But $30 vs $15 for high res family plan has won out. Even at that price I’m considering switching back to tidal.

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #1,417 of 1,853
I see Tidal responding to the threat from new lossless service from Spotify, Apple, and Qobuz.See Darko’s latest post on his website. He touches on the issue of Tidal not being transparant with us users. Is Tidal storing (and streaming) the original FLAC files or are they storing only the batch processed MQA tracks (and “white glove” masters processed, then throttling the MQA files down to serve the HiFi user? The only benefit of MQA, is that for smart phone users cellular data usage and offline storage benefit from the slightly smaller MQA file sizes.
one good announcement is that Tidal appears to be improving the revenue to the artists.
BTW… my downloaded Tidal playlists seem to be available ”forever” whereas downloaded albums need to be ”refreshed” before going off line, by starting the album before you leave WiFi.
I have found the same, plus availability of the playlists in Roon and USB Audio Player Pro. Can anyone suggest a site to purchase/download MQA files if one wants to have them "forever" and put them wherever one wants, as one would a FLAC, DSD or other hi-res file?

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #1,418 of 1,853
Bestbuy sells the Tidal Family Plan at a discount:
TIDAL - HiFi Family Music, 12-Month Subscription starting at purchase, Auto-renews at $179.99 per year [Digital] - $14.99/mo
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...9-99-per-year-digital/6431968.p?skuId=6431968

That is why I was chuffed to find Bestbuy's deal on Annual Tidal Hifi for $89/year, and I've already renewed once @ $119.99, both a big savings over 12x$19.99=$239.88

TIDAL - HiFi Music, 12-Month Subscription starting at purchase, Auto-renews at $119.99 per year [Digital] - $9.99/mo
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tidal-...9-99-per-year-digital/6407163.p?skuId=6407163

BTW, normally I'd recommend creating a Bestbuy account and login to see the discount, but either way, logged in or out the price is still $119.99.

Bestbuy hasn't changed the name to Tidal Hifi Plus, and it isn't at the sometimes $89/$99 sale price, but it's still a great deal saving 50%!. :)
BestBuy posted their Black Friday Tidal Subscription deals - this year only on the 3-month subscriptions, but they are only $1.00 each :)

Usually, you need to be logged in to see the discounted pricing, but right now the Black Friday discount is visible without logging in to your Bestbuy account. You do need a Bestbuy account to manage the Tidal subscription, so I'd recommend creating a Bestbuy account and logging in before buying the subscription.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #1,419 of 1,853
I agree, I switched to Apple six months ago and it just pushes pop music and doesn’t give me the indie genres or similar that I like. My wife keeps complaining about Apple too and she likes pop music. But $30 vs $15 for high res family plan has won out. Even at that price I’m considering switching back to tidal.
I’m not concerned with whatever Apple is “pushing.” I look for what I want and it’s there.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #1,420 of 1,853
Hi

New user to Tidal and have a question please: -

Using the Tidal Desktop App on my Windows PC, how do I find the exact resolution of tracks/albums that I wish to stream or are streaming? I am streaming in Master quality, when available but want to know the exact resolutions. I have used UAPP integrated with Tidal and it shows the information when playing.

Cheers

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,421 of 1,853
Hi

New user to Tidal and have a question please: -

Using the Tidal Desktop App on my Windows PC, how do I find the exact resolution of tracks/albums that I wish to stream or are streaming? I am streaming in Master quality, when available but want to know the exact resolutions. I have used UAPP integrated with Tidal and it shows the information when playing.

Cheers

Here is a list of Tidal MQA albums that is updated regularly and has sample rates. I don't know of a way to check within the Tidal app:

https://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=268318#Post268318

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,422 of 1,853
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #1,423 of 1,853
Hello guys, So, I order 2 Zen Dacs V2, I loaded one for my work PC and One for my gaming pc, I also used their news driver 5.1.2 and I also try their 3.2.0.

so this is the problem, I have when I select the pass to unload MQA to the DAC, it only reports 44100 or 4800. now when I played the same song and album on my Fiio M15
I can see 96k 24bit etc.

this happens with either driver, and all the other settings to master and the 3 options selected. Is this an IFI issue?

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,424 of 1,853

For discovery: I like using Radio Paradise streaming in MQA on Blusound devices (like Node -2021) and when you discover an artist or album that is of interest you have the ability to click on a Tidal link they provide to directly open up that artist/album on the Tidal app. Appears to be only when Radio Paradise is playing from a Blusound device

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,425 of 1,853
has there been any confirmed response bck from ifi regarding removal of mqa decoding on the new firmware,are they going to pay the license?it's not a issue if you only use roon as it does the mqa decoding but for people who bought it for tidal connect and dnla then thats a big problem,before with tidal connect via spidf I would get 24/96 but now I only get 24/48 because theve removed mqa,extremely pissed theve done this,thats what I bought the device for and its definitely false marketing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back