Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #901 of 1,853
I was interested in knowing what folks generally thought of MQA sound, and if defaulting to it was generally regarded as the better choice. After reading three pages of the thread, comparing some of the Masters/MQA with Red Book and realizing it showed nothing other than Masters were better than red book. I’m 68 I don’t have that long to live. Could someone give me the Cliffnotes to this? To an experienced... but not professional golden ears listener do MQA encoded recordings sound a bit better than there red book version? Has anyone actually read all 60 pages of this... whatever it turned into. I understand the intent of the OP... I have good naturedly walk into this kind of thing before.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #902 of 1,853
I was interested in knowing what folks generally thought of MQA sound, and if defaulting to it was generally regarded as the better choice. After reading three pages of the tread, comparing some of the Masters/MQA with Red Book and realizing it showed nothing other than Masters were better than red book. I’m 68 I don’t have that long to live. Could someone give me the Cliffnotes to this? To an experienced... but not professional golden ears listener do MQA encoded recordings sound a bit better than there red book version? Has anyone actually read all 60 pages of this... whatever it turned into. I understand the intent of the OP... I have good naturedly walk into this kind of thing before.

High resolution audio sounds better than Red Book, if you can hear the difference. Not everyone can. MQA is supposed to replicate high resolution audio, and on the best equipment can even add what they call the "time domain" that you'd hear when you're in the room. To me, when done right MQA sounds the same as high resolution but I've never heard that "time domain" thing, and to me both sound better than Red Book. But many people cannot hear the difference, and in fact many cannot hear any difference from a 320 kbps MP3 file. Among those who can tell the difference, some can often express it only in emotional terms. So basically, it depends on your ears and equipment, and I can only tell you what I hear. Sorry there's no Cliffs Notes version. :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #903 of 1,853
High resolution audio sounds better than Red Book, if you can hear a difference. Not everyone can. MQA is supposed to replicate high resolution audio, and on the best equipment can even add what they call the "time domain" that you'd hear when you're in the room. To me, when done right MQA sounds the same as high resolution but I've never heard that "time domain" thing, and to me both sound better than Red Book. But many people cannot hear the difference, and in fact many cannot hear any difference from a 320 kbps MP3 file. Among those who can tell the difference, some can often express it only in emotional terms. So basically, it depends on your ears and equipment, and I can only tell you what I hear. Sorry there's no Cliffs Notes version. :)
Thanks. Good summary. Sounds right to me. I find that hi Rez recordings sound better, sometimes appearant without listening for difference, but not usualy in an earth shattering way... it can be covered up by poor recording / mastering. On the other hand some really good hiRez recordings make me look up and take notice. I can’t say I have ever noticed a profound and consistent difference with MQA.. but I have never looked (proactively listened) or did any systematic study. These days I just like to enjoy listening to music. I was thinking of getting a Berkley Alpha 3 DAC next year for my main system. I suspect that would bring up the noticeable improvements in all HiRez formats ... amd allow me to use my duel AES outputs from my streamer and maybe make MQA stand out more.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #904 of 1,853
It's funny to see that there are still bashing within MQA sub-forum. Why are they here in the first place? Why are they behaving in such a oxymoron manner? Once can speaks about tidal forcing MQA on them while they seems to force others to believe their ideas about MQA. What an idiot

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #905 of 1,853
It's funny to see that there are still bashing within MQA sub-forum. Why are they here in the first place? Why are they behaving in such a oxymoron manner? Once can speaks about tidal forcing MQA on them while they seems to force others to believe their ideas about MQA. What an idiot

Well if this isn't the right place to discuss this topic I don't know where else. I am sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way but if you have a problem with people having different opinions the internet might not the best place for you to spend your time. If you are only interested in circle jerking how great MQA is fine. Go along. I don't have problem with that but calling me an idiot for expressing my opinion is just childish and inappropriate.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #906 of 1,853
I don’t get it either. It’s like people have pent up aggression to use on arguing for the sake of arguing and conspiracy theories. If I had not heard a difference, I would simply state that If someone wanted my opinion. Audio is so much about individual values, highly detailed subjective observation, the system you have, and that will be vastly different based on how much experience you have. I much prefer talking with guys that want to share their experiences and observations versus try to win some senseless argument.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #907 of 1,853
I don’t get it either. It’s like people have pent up aggression to use on arguing for the sake of arguing and conspiracy theories. If I had not heard a difference, I would simply state that If someone wanted my opinion. Audio is so much about individual values and highly detailed subjective observationo that will be vastly different based on how much experience you have. I much prefer talking with guys that want to share their experiences and observations versus try to win some senseless argument.

I am not trying to win a senseless argument here. I know that there are people who enjoy MQA and that is fine. I don't feel comfortable using it and just expressed my feelings towards it. Can't see any aggression or even conspiracy theories here. I think MQA is hurting the industry... I was not even talking about sound quality at all. That's not for me to decide. Either you like it or not which is fine for me.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #908 of 1,853
Don't like it just leave the sub forum instead of being toxic or forcefully disagree of anything we mentioned or trying to prove your existence in this MQA world that you don't like. simple and be gone. You keen on bashing MQA, start a sub forum and go full toxic on it.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #909 of 1,853
Well if this isn't the right place to discuss this topic I don't know where else. I am sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way but if you have a problem with people having different opinions the internet might not the best place for you to spend your time. If you are only interested in circle jerking how great MQA is fine. Go along. I don't have problem with that but calling me an idiot for expressing my opinion is just childish and inappropriate.

For that I apologies on that. I do not mean that to direct on you. More of that particular idiot on page 1 as i just stray to this sub-forum today buddy. Once again my apology on that.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #910 of 1,853
For that I apologies on that. I do not mean that to direct on you. More of that particular idiot on page 1 as i just stray to this sub-forum today buddy. Once again my apology on that.

Thanks mate. No hard feelings. I will discuss this elsewhere.

On a side note, I listened to MQA on a several occasions with decent gear and hardware rendering/decoding and it sounds great. No doubt. I just personally don't like the whole concept of it. From a technical view it is pretty interesting, id give it that. I had no intention to be toxic. My apologies.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #911 of 1,853
Thanks mate. No hard feelings. I will discuss this elsewhere.

On a side note, I listened to MQA on a several occasions with decent gear and hardware rendering/decoding and it sounds great. No doubt. I just personally don't like the whole concept of it. From a technical view it is pretty interesting, id give it that. I had no intention to be toxic. My apologies.

Appreciate it buddy, my interest on MQA is chance upon looking for balance between storage VS sound quality as 24/96 file are waaaayyyyy too huge. Hence it's a good balance. Understanding that it isn't as good as a pure 24/96 file, I gladly take it.

I do hope we can have much more other topic discussion elsewhere in this forum as one thing for sure we love music, that makes us closer ^_^

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #912 of 1,853
But it stills not forced on us. You have plenty of options outside Tidal. You don’t have to buy mqa gear. You don’t need mqa or master audio to be in tidal either.

Was going to list this :)

I believe that the market is so saturated with hardware and options to stream music that one can avoid everything related to MQA and be fine :)

I just personally don't like the whole concept of it.

Many people have issues with this exact subject and that's also perfectly fine, so I understand you.

I had no intention to be toxic. My apologies.
All good :beerchug:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 30, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #913 of 1,853
But you still need Tidal + MQA devices to get at least the sound of Quobuz + any device. And i think Quobuz has far more highres tracks, especially in the 192 KHZ range.

Tidal was once the leader in Hifi but it's now really far second. In terms of suggestions spotify is miles ahead. So i don't see Tidal competive anymore. The only positive thing is the very good TV app.

But even if Tidal wasn't gonna make profit i don't think Jay-Z would go broke about that.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #914 of 1,853
I switched over to Quobuz after months of urging by my audio dealer. It does seem to have a lot more HiRez music. I am glad I did.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #915 of 1,853
But you still need Tidal + MQA devices to get at least the sound of Quobuz + any device. And i think Quobuz has far more highres tracks, especially in the 192 KHZ range.

Tidal was once the leader in Hifi but it's now really far second. In terms of suggestions spotify is miles ahead. So i don't see Tidal competive anymore. The only positive thing is the very good TV app.

But even if Tidal wasn't gonna make profit i don't think Jay-Z would go broke about that.
Just to be clear, what you're saying is that without a verified MQA decoder in your dac, then SQ is compromised, to say qobuz (or other hi res sources)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back