Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #931 of 1,853
That used to be the case, but is unfortunately no longer so: The slate of Warner MQA albums added earlier this year come ONLY as MQA, not as regular 16/44. And what's worse, they are all 16/44 MQA.

Can you link me to an album or two that doesn't have a 16/44.1 hifi version? I wonder if it is regional. I can see both sample rate and bit depth on my Brooklyn so I should be able to check it.

In my country people who don't pay for the Hifi Tier get only 320 kbits. Which is marketed as "premium sound quality" on Tidal.

And i only found out about that on third party sites. Not on Tidal itself.
I guess the "hifi" tier is MQA + Redbook. That makes sense now that you mention it. Still, Tidal hifi is very affordable here. I know the price varies a lot by country though.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #932 of 1,853
Can you link me to an album or two that doesn't have a 16/44.1 hifi version? I wonder if it is regional. I can see both sample rate and bit depth on my Brooklyn so I should be able to check it.

I guess the "hifi" tier is MQA + Redbook. That makes sense now that you mention it. Still, Tidal hifi is very affordable here. I know the price varies a lot by country though.

The whole Pink Floyd catalogue on Tidal is only available in MQA for example.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #934 of 1,853
I'm in the US. I do not see any Pink Floyd albums on Tidal marked as MQA (Master).
I’m in EU, all the PF albums are MQA:
E233B367-E799-42C6-94B7-A9E1323A5B3F.pngCBD287D0-D531-463B-BCC2-7A84D9954E2B.png67FE1D22-D301-4B55-8009-C79F35E88795.pngD5B0CD52-E46A-4850-9B0E-66E571248BAA.png

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #937 of 1,853
The whole Pink Floyd catalogue on Tidal is only available in MQA for example.
Thanks, I didn't notice this before because I am always set to Masters.

The Brooklyn sees MQA in all cases. If you play Masters with passthru MQA dac of course you get MQA. If you turn off passthrough of MQA dac the Brooklyn still sees the MQA stream and lights purple.

When set to hifi (lossless mode) Tidal is sending a 16/44.1 bit stream which lights purple (Tidal app is doing unfold of MQA).

I don't mind this on Tidal, I do want MQA which is kinda what Tidal is all about. But if it spreads outside Tidal and there is no longer a choice then yeah maybe I would agree it's a bad thing.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #938 of 1,853
Very interesting. Not the case here (I looked on both computer and phone).
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 2.29.14 AM.png
Do you have a hifi membership? Do you have a DAC that shows the kind of info I mentioned above? It would be interesting to see what kind of bitstream you're getting.

If you don't have Tidal hifi then this would explain it. But only somewhat.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #939 of 1,853
Do you have a hifi membership? Do you have a DAC that shows the kind of info I mentioned above? It would be interesting to see what kind of bitstream you're getting.

If you don't have Tidal hifi then this would explain it. But only somewhat.

Same as mine. I have the highest subscription. From Singapore

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #941 of 1,853
48 KHz is almost definitely MQA. There is almost no music sold at 48 KHz.

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #942 of 1,853
Same as mine. I have the highest subscription. From Singapore
I don't understand. Does that mean you don't have MQA albums for Pink Floyd?

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #943 of 1,853
That used to be the case, but is unfortunately no longer so: The slate of Warner MQA albums added earlier this year come ONLY as MQA, not as regular 16/44. And what's worse, they are all 16/44 MQA.

I've always been a "moderate defender" of MQA, mostly because I think there IS a need for lower bandwidth and lower disk space HiRes options: Even to this day in USA, most mobile plans have limited data allotments. Economical ones absolutely do. And even Unlimited postpaid plans (which generally run $60/month) often have data caps. As pointed out, 24/96 FLAC files really are quite big, not to mention 24/192 ones.

Add to this that Qobuz and Amazon HD (the main HiRes alternatives to Tidal) send everything through the Mixer on LG Quad DAC phones. At least Tidal used to play MQA files (24-bit ones) in full quality on these phones. And on MQA USB DACs too, as long as volume is set to max. (Until Tidal has fixed the current bug, version 2.21.0 can be installed from apkmirror.)

As far as quality / size ratio goes, I don't believe anything comes even close to MQA. And well recorded, well mastered MQA releases really do sound great. Anybody who claims that MQA sounds horrible and that the MQA filter completely destroys the music (and some people really do hate MQA and really do claim that) are not being honest. Just check some of the free 2L and David Elias downloads and tell me they sound horrible.

That said, I also believe that the argument of MQA being a marketing gimmick is absolutely true. The media industry always loved new formats that let them sell old wine on new bottles to the same customers one more time. Among the MQA releases on Tidal only few reach the SQ level of those 2L and David Elias tracks. And many are just bad re-released of poor recordings.

And these Warner 16/44 MQAs make me seriously consider changing my stance on MQA, particularly considering they don't have non-MQA alternatives: I used to be able to say that most MQA tracks were 24-bit, so the loss of resolution wasn't a big issue (MQA uses the lowest order bits to store its origami). But with 16-bit that loss of resolution is significant, and I would expect it to affect SQ in some cases. I assume when using HiFi mode (as opposed to Master mode) the MQA is simply stripped, but the lost bits are still lost.

So the dire picture that MQA haters have been painting all along suddenly comes a little closer to reality.

(Oh, and BTW I don't like the MQA filter either when applied to plain RedBook tracks, as UAPP does.)

That said, there are some great MQA experiences in Tidal. In the classical genre I have previously mentioned the catalog of Everest Records 3-channel recordings on 35mm film tape from the 1950s and 60s, such as this recording of Copland's 3rd Symphony, directed by the composer himself. These albums are $40 a pop on HDtracks. And among the Warner albums, some are great for other reasons than audio quality, such as this classic recording of Dvorak's cello concerto (arguably history's greatest) with cellist Jacqueline du Pre (arguably history's greatest) conducted by her husband Daniel Barenboim (pretty great too).

On a non-MQA device, the file is at 24/44.1/48, so it's already better than the standard 16/44.1/48 CD quality.

Otherwise, even Tidal does a first unfold, to 24/88.2/96, which may not be the same as an original 24/88.2/96, but it's still better than CD quality or better than just playing the file on a non-MQA device.

Also, nobody forces you to use the format or to buy MQA compatible devices, so I really don't understand the hate.

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #945 of 1,853
If I play the masters version of Dark Side Of The Moon Tidal set to master the indicator is "yellow" if i set Tidal to lossless the indicator is "blue".

What indicator/on what device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back