Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Apr 19, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,171 of 1,853
I only stream my music now. Tidal masters only b/c we dont have Qubuzz in Canada. i like MQA i listen with my ears not spectrum anylizers or what ever. if i compare the cd quality version to the Mqa version both on Tidal i will pick the MQA version 99% of the time. i use my ears to tell me what sounds better and thats all that matters to me. Dont really care if MQA is not losseles like MQA says i just know it sounds better to me. and i have a good system that is very revealing and i can tell the differnce. maybe once qubuzz comes to canada i will switch over and change my mind but for me i am a MQA streamer and i like it

Attachments

• 20210207_142230_HDR.jpg
    20210207_142230_HDR.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #1,172 of 1,853
I don’t rely on measurements too much either , carry on ,....

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #1,174 of 1,853
I only stream my music now. Tidal masters only b/c we dont have Qubuzz in Canada. i like MQA i listen with my ears not spectrum anylizers or what ever. if i compare the cd quality version to the Mqa version both on Tidal i will pick the MQA version 99% of the time. i use my ears to tell me what sounds better and thats all that matters to me. Dont really care if MQA is not losseles like MQA says i just know it sounds better to me. and i have a good system that is very revealing and i can tell the differnce. maybe once qubuzz comes to canada i will switch over and change my mind but for me i am a MQA streamer and i like it
In what way do you find MQA better than Flac?

Apr 22, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #1,175 of 1,853
You can expect all kind of nastiness for your work. I got off Tidal, subscribed to Qobuz and the only reason was not to give a dime to MQA. What starts with a big lie "lossless" can only continue to exist by lying. Cannot wait for you video but it will be difficult to publish it.

The only thing I consider lossless is wav files. That is also the format that I used when sending off my work to mastering engineers, in 24-bit even.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,176 of 1,853
I thought I would start a thread for those who appreciate the SQ of MQA - both files and Tidal Masters -.(as opposed to those
debating the merits from a scientific standpoint).

I'm going by my perceptions, but on Tidal decoded MQA by and large I'm getting a smoother, cleaner
music with much less hash, grain ....to the point where it sounds much more inviting, less fatiguing,
smoother. More musical! Blacker background, removal (or drastic reduction) of digital "gloss" from the sound.

Greater ease of sound and performance, more intimacy.

Some of MQA's claims may be exaggerated, but I believe the stated main benefits are basically true.

Arguments saying that MQA is lossy or is locked by DRM are not true - in my opinion.
I'd also like to counter the generally negative and/or suspicious posts on this site (and elsewhere).

All I know is I've been a fan of higher quality audiophile sound for many many years
and like what I hear from MQA so far.

Which is, hi-res quality sound (or perhaps even better SQ) from a significantly smaller file size than
a conventional hi-res stream.
=====================
------>>If you enjoy MQA'd music, looking forward to hearing from you!
Thank you for creating this thread @headfry :)

What I am enjoying listening to on Tidal right now: https://tidal.com/browse/mix/013cd3fbc0b688c9e438ce8ed95807

More joy filled listening sessions:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/984f2a52-c11d-407c-a3c3-6ea23dc89772
https://tidal.com/browse/mix/0025f99132d968a14d68cb9c7f50de
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/54bc4e66-9fa9-4445-9104-0acafb47424e
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/e4038bdf-6588-4189-b229-89930ce21df6
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/9d002a1b-321b-4916-a54b-acf56fb0f5f9
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/e4038bdf-6588-4189-b229-89930ce21df6
https://tidal.com/browse/album/156492998

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #1,177 of 1,853
well there’s a number of recording engineers including industry manufacturers whom came out against MQA over the years since its introduction,you can read through their complaints and concerns and if that doesn’t make you think I don’t know what will ...
On the other hand one example there are plenty of people in this hobby that can’t distinguish between a compressed recording over one that’s not , they just don’t know what they are hearing . Some I’ve chatted with are making judgment calls on audio components when asked the tracks they use I found out are compressed mixes , they just don’t know . You don’t have to have golden ears to hear it and the same pretty much applies to noise levels with MQA .

Though if you find MQA smooths out certain frequencies with the music you like well enjoy , My take on the people behind pushing MQA on the industry are nothing more then grifters .

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,178 of 1,853
well there’s a number of recording engineers including industry manufacturers whom came out against MQA over the years since its introduction,you can read through their complaints and concerns and if that doesn’t make you think I don’t know what will ...
On the other hand one example there are plenty of people in this hobby that can’t distinguish between a compressed recording over one that’s not , they just don’t know what they are hearing . Some I’ve chatted with are making judgment calls on audio components when asked the tracks they use I found out are compressed mixes , they just don’t know . You don’t have to have golden ears to hear it and the same pretty much applies to noise levels with MQA .

Though if you find MQA smooths out certain frequencies with the music you like well enjoy , My take on the people behind pushing MQA on the industry are nothing more then grifters .
How long have you been listening to MQA?

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,179 of 1,853
Apr 22, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,180 of 1,853
there is also many industry giants and pros who have embraced MQA. this debate can go on forever without a winner. listen to what u like

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,181 of 1,853
there is also many industry giants and pros who have embraced MQA. this debate can go on forever without a winner. listen to what u like
Really ,.put a list together of these industry giants and so called professionals then post it over on the pro MQA thread ,.Perhaps you haven’t noticed this thread isn’t debating MQA ..

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,182 of 1,853
i am not the one that posted a anti mqa post on a pro mqa thread. look at the first post in this thread to see what this thread is for

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,184 of 1,853
listen to what u like
^ is the obvious answer.

I don't get the MQA bashing. If you like it, listen to it. If not, don't. No need to keep complaining or trying to save the world.

I don't like Apple products so I don't buy them. I don't like iTunes or AAC, I don't use them. I don't go on Apple threads and say the people who like those things can't hear or they have no clue or they're victims. Everybody is allowed to like what he likes and not like what he doesn't like. What he is not allowed to do is decide what other people are allowed to like or insult them for liking it.

When will it end?

I like the sound of MQA even though it is not lossless. I also like ATRAC even though it isn't lossless.

I like DSD even more and it's lossless :D

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,185 of 1,853
^ is the obvious answer.

I don't get the MQA bashing. If you like it, listen to it. If not, don't. No need to keep complaining or trying to save the world.

I don't like Apple products so I don't buy them. I don't like iTunes or AAC, I don't use them. I don't go on Apple threads and say the people who like those things can't hear or they have no clue or they're victims. Everybody is allowed to like what he likes and not like what he doesn't like. What he is not allowed to do is decide what other people are allowed to like or insult them for liking it.

When will it end?

Nobody is deciding for anybody. I don't see any comments stating you shouldn't listen to or like MQA. All the comments are "this is what MQA does, MQA lies in the description of what they do". These are facts. You can still like MQA if you want. Stop being a victim dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back