Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Jan 10, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,066 of 1,853
If they aren't in the US yet, I imagine that they should rather sooner than later.

@iFi audio: hi there. may i ask why you might be so certain please?

i ask because in Europe, Pink Floyd is distributed by Warner, and in the US, Pink Floyd is distributed by Sony.

Warner, as we all know, has a huge MQA changeover a couple of months ago - i believe the announcement said something like "...one million tracks..." iirc.

Sony likes proprietary technologies and MQA is not Sony's invention. That's why i am cautiously hesitant in hoping that Sony will also do MQA in the US.

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,067 of 1,853
These Sony players have a function, DSEE HX, which upsamples audio (with a sample rate of maximum of 44.1/48 kHz) to 32 bit/176.4/192 kHz, and it really works. I would say that Sony knows how to do upsampling well, and in this case I can promise you that it sounds good.

One example of what good upsampling can do, is the HQ Player app, which I recommend giving it a try, after checking out some guides on the internet.

So the MQA file is 16/44.1, but then it gets unfolded, and the "High" bar of the spectrum analyzer shows that the unfolding process indeed works.
This is exactly what I have been experimenting with last week with the Audirvana app, forced upsampling. The theory is that upsampling carried out in the PC is less likely to introduce artefacts etc than in the DAC, but that of course depends on how good the DAC is! In my case, I can't hear any benefit in upsampling, even to DSD, so I can only conclude that the circuit design and chip implementation in the Marantz is capable.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #1,068 of 1,853
This is exactly what I have been experimenting with last week with the Audirvana app, forced upsampling. The theory is that upsampling carried out in the PC is less likely to introduce artefacts etc than in the DAC, but that of course depends on how good the DAC is! In my case, I can't hear any benefit in upsampling, even to DSD, so I can only conclude that the circuit design and chip implementation in the Marantz is capable.

I have very mixed experience with upsampling done by Audirvana and not all DACs I've tested were even capable to work correctly when upsampling to their maximum limit. This also bring your PC configuration (CPU, power management etc.) into play. However the bottom line is from my experience: the end result depends strongly on your DAC and track you are upsampling plus correct Audirvana settings. Upsampling to maximum does not always brings the best result IMHO. To make long story short I am usually disabling upsampling in Audirvana. However I highly value this option and I am happy I can experiment with it using only software. On the other hand my cd transport has upsampling capability and there I've left it enabled after some experiments, but again the maximum upsampling didn't sound best.

In Audirvana I use mostly x2 (for cheaper DACs) or DSD256 (for more expensive ones).

Last but not least: if I remember correctly if your DAC is set as MQA decoder or renderer MQA upsampling is not possible. This also may be the reason why there is not difference in sound, since simply audio processing options in Audirvana are disabled.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #1,069 of 1,853
@iFi audio: hi there. may i ask why you might be so certain please?

In truth I'm not and I don't have any insider info or anything of the sort :)

I was rather thinking out loud that music as known as Pink Floyd should get MQA ASAP, but that's just my gut feeling.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 11, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,070 of 1,853
I have very mixed experience with upsampling done by Audirvana and not all DACs I've tested were even capable to work correctly when upsampling to their maximum limit. This also bring your PC configuration (CPU, power management etc.) into play. However the bottom line is from my experience: the end result depends strongly on your DAC and track you are upsampling plus correct Audirvana settings. Upsampling to maximum does not always brings the best result IMHO. To make long story short I am usually disabling upsampling in Audirvana. However I highly value this option and I am happy I can experiment with it using only software. On the other hand my cd transport has upsampling capability and there I've left it enabled after some experiments, but again the maximum upsampling didn't sound best.

In Audirvana I use mostly x2 (for cheaper DACs) or DSD256 (for more expensive ones).

Last but not least: if I remember correctly if your DAC is set as MQA decoder or renderer MQA upsampling is not possible. This also may be the reason why there is not difference in sound, since simply audio processing options in Audirvana are disabled.
My DAC isn't MQA rendering capable, and having tried every audirvana option, both using upsampling, using SoX filters, no up sampling etc I've concluded it makes no repeatable discernable difference for me, so I've no intention of continuing beyond the free trial.

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,071 of 1,853
when playing MQA from my node 2i some songs have a green dot some a blue dot by the MQA symbol, anybody know what they mean. node2i doesnt come with a manual

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,072 of 1,853
when playing MQA from my node 2i some songs have a green dot some a blue dot by the MQA symbol, anybody know what they mean. node2i doesnt come with a manual

Provenance
Provenance and technical standards are completely different things. A music file can be altered after artist release, irrespective of the technology used. Provenance is indicated when MQA is played back.

• The MQA ‘Studio’ (blue light) gives confirmation directly from mastering engineers, producers or artists to their listeners. MQA Studio authenticates that the sound you are hearing is exactly as played in the studio when the music was completed and, by implication, that this is also the definitive version of the recording at that point in time.
  • A second level, ‘MQA’ (green light) is available to indicate that although the stream is genuine, provenance may be uncertain or that it is not yet the final release

MQA provenance recognises that great music may only be available in early analogue or early digital or Redbook CD format; such recordings, if vouched for by the rights holder, can be marked MQA Studio and enjoy the profound sonic benefits of the MQA chain.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,073 of 1,853
i was hoping that Sony would also jump on the MQA train. then again, Sony has a history of preferring proprietary technologies. sort of like if it's not invented here (i.e. by Sony), we don't want to jump on it

From the MQA website:

"Sony Music, Warner Music, Universal Music and Merlin (on behalf of independent labels), are all licensed partners. This means the availability of MQA music continues to grow worldwide. "

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,074 of 1,853
From the MQA website:

"Sony Music, Warner Music, Universal Music and Merlin (on behalf of independent labels), are all licensed partners. This means the availability of MQA music continues to grow worldwide. "

that's outstanding news! thank you. that page on MQA is from summer 2020, so it's quite recent, ~ 6 months.

this means that Sony distributed music here in the US has a chance of going MQA on Tidal as well! great! thankyou @MrWalkman.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #1,075 of 1,853
Provenance
Provenance and technical standards are completely different things. A music file can be altered after artist release, irrespective of the technology used. Provenance is indicated when MQA is played back.

• The MQA ‘Studio’ (blue light) gives confirmation directly from mastering engineers, producers or artists to their listeners. MQA Studio authenticates that the sound you are hearing is exactly as played in the studio when the music was completed and, by implication, that this is also the definitive version of the recording at that point in time.
  • A second level, ‘MQA’ (green light) is available to indicate that although the stream is genuine, provenance may be uncertain or that it is not yet the final release

MQA provenance recognises that great music may only be available in early analogue or early digital or Redbook CD format; such recordings, if vouched for by the rights holder, can be marked MQA Studio and enjoy the profound sonic benefits of the MQA chain.
There is also purple which I see when I turn off Tidal's pass through, it indicates the dac realizes that Tidal did the first unfold.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,076 of 1,853
There is also purple which I see when I turn off Tidal's pass through, it indicates the dac realizes that Tidal did the first unfold.

Purple is a color chosen by the DAC's manufacturer to indicate that the DAC is in the MQA mode, and they all seem to use Purple

"Blue" and "Green" are actual colors as per MQA's specifications. The blue or green icon shows up even in USB Audio Player Pro, as well as in Audirvana, for example.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,077 of 1,853
Purple is a color chosen by the DAC's manufacturer to indicate that the DAC is in the MQA mode, and they all seem to use Purple

"Blue" and "Green" are actual colors as per MQA's specifications. The blue or green icon shows up even in USB Audio Player Pro, as well as in Audirvana, for example.
DACs running blue and green are also in MQA mode so I think my explanation is a bit more clear along with your fine point that it is not an official MQA color per se.

I'm pretty sure when I turn off MQA in my Brooklyn, none of the MQA colors are illuminated, even when receiving an MQA stream from Tidal.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,078 of 1,853
If anyone is curious to try the "Dark Side o
DACs running blue and green are also in MQA mode so I think my explanation is a bit more clear along with your fine point that it is not an official MQA color per se.

I'm pretty sure when I turn off MQA in my Brooklyn, none of the MQA colors are illuminated, even when receiving an MQA stream from Tidal.

At least my DragonFly Cobalt uses Purple for all-MQA, and then Blue is for 48 kHz (like normal, non-MQA 16 or 24 bit, 48 kHz), and Green is for 44.1 kHz.

I'm not entirely sure why a DAC would need the purple color if it's already showing Blue or Green for MQA.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,079 of 1,853
If anyone is curious to try the "Dark Side o

At least my DragonFly Cobalt uses Purple for all-MQA, and then Blue is for 48 kHz (like normal, non-MQA 16 or 24 bit, 48 kHz), and Green is for 44.1 kHz.

I'm not entirely sure why a DAC would need the purple color if it's already showing Blue or Green for MQA.
I can't understand what you're saying. It sounds like your DAC displays two colors at one time?

The way the Brooklyn works is that if MQA is on and it receives a non-unfolded MQA stream is shows blue or green as appropriate. It does not have to do with the bit depth or sample rate, blue is about Official Studio and green is unofficial. The Brooklyn shows actual bit depth and sample rate of every input stream regardless of MQA, PCM, DSD etc.

If MQA is on and it receives a 1X unfolded stream as when Tidal desktop does not passthrough MQA, it shows purple.

If MQA is off the MQA indicator remains unlit.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #1,080 of 1,853
I can't understand what you're saying. It sounds like your DAC displays two colors at one time?

No.

When playing non-MQA, Dragonfly Cobalt will display Green for the 44.1 kHz sample rate, Blue for the 48 kHz sample rate, Amber for 88.2 kHz, and White for 96 kHz.

While playing MQA ("Passthrough" off only), the light will turn to Purple.

The way the Brooklyn works is that if MQA is on and it receives a non-unfolded MQA stream is shows blue or green as appropriate. It does not have to do with the bit depth or sample rate, blue is about Official Studio and green is unofficial. The Brooklyn shows actual bit depth and sample rate of every input stream regardless of MQA, PCM, DSD etc.

If MQA is on and it receives a 1X unfolded stream as when Tidal desktop does not passthrough MQA, it shows purple.

Ok, I get it now.

I didn't know that full MQA decoders are set up so they could also work when the "Passthrough" option in Tidal is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back