Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Oct 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #826 of 1,853
Why not buy the hi-res files instead? MQA CDs are created from hi-res files, lossy compressed down to CD resolution. For streaming, MQA makes some sense to reduce bandwidth, but I see no reason to purchase MQA files or CDs instead of the original hi-res.
You're right, compression is kinda strange in 2020. So mostly just for the curiosity of how they will sound on my equipment, whether they play directly on the Oppo as claimed, etc. and for albums where there is probably no real hires available (some classic rock, jazz etc.)

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #827 of 1,853
Question on windows 10 settings with the tidal app. I apologize if this has been asked 100 times, I wasn't able to locate an answer after skimming the pages. I've got the app set properly with tidal getting exclusive mode. Do I need to change the sample rate and bit depth in the device's settings in windows 10, or will tidal adjust when given control. I have a schiit gungnir MB, so my max is 24 bit 196. Just curious what I should have the device's property set to. Thanks in advance for help!

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #828 of 1,853
I've got the app set properly with tidal getting exclusive mode. Do I need to change the sample rate and bit depth in the device's settings in windows 10, or will tidal adjust when given control.
In exclusive mode, Windows uses the resolution set by the app and ignores the device settings.

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #829 of 1,853
May I ask what it means to have hardware decoding of MQAs 8x versus 16x? I tried to look this up repeatedly and can't find out the answer.

I am thinking of using my desktop PC's USB (Windows 10) to connect to a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, or a Topping D90 DAC, or a Mytek Brooklyn DAV+ (as they all claim to have MQA hardware decoding but they don't specify if the MQA hardware decoding is 8x or 16x! Some say "full decoding MQA", some say "MQA 8x", etc. I'll connect my Meze Empyrean headphones to one of these three DACs/headphone amps.

I would greatly appreciate any education you guys might be so kind as to direct me to to try to understand if there are any differences between the amount of decoding, or the levels of unfolding differences (if any) between these three options (Pro-Ject, Topping, Mytek), or if there are other more outstanding options that are not 10 times the price. A bit more costly is fine, but not if it's going to be, say, $12,000, as these three options are merely a few hundred to $2,000.

I intend to exclusively use Tidal Hifi and as much as possible, when it is available, the albums that are MQA. Of course, not all albums are MQA but more and more are.

I am also open to using Roon but i am also confused as to how best to execute using Roon. what hardware to buy, how to connect, how much of the MQA is decoded via hardware decoding/unfolding, etc. I read up on Roon via reviews and Roon's own site but got confused as to which devices do what, as they have Roon Ready and Roon Tested, but it's unclear what exactly the differences are.

If there are suggestions, I welcome them. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #830 of 1,853
I don't know the technical details but writing to the customer service dept. of each of the prospects and asking that might give some idea of what kind of service you could expect in the future if you bought one.

The Brooklyn DAC+ is a beautiful piece of gear and IMHO is worth the premium over the other two you mentioned.

You don't need Roon for MQA even without an MQA DAC. The Tidal desktop app unfolds if you don't have MQA hardware.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #831 of 1,853
I am thinking of using my desktop PC's USB (Windows 10) to connect to a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, or a Topping D90 DAC, or a Mytek Brooklyn DAV+ (as they all claim to have MQA hardware decoding but they don't specify if the MQA hardware decoding is 8x or 16x! Some say "full decoding MQA", some say "MQA 8x", etc. I'll connect my Meze Empyrean headphones to one of these three DACs/headphone amps.

I can answer you question partially and share my experience with Mytek Brooklyn Bridge which is basically Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ with network streaming capabilities minus few ports at the back replaced by ethernet connection.

Brooklyn has built-in MQA filter which can be manually enabled/disable so you can use it even for non-MQA content if I understand it correctly. After some time of experimenting I've turned it off for non-MQA content and rarely turn it on for MQA. The are few reasons for it, but main is that there is still very little MQA content comparing to what I am listening on Tidal. In fact I am considering dropping my HiFi subscription as over time I don't see my preferred tracks being converted to MQA. The next reason is that I don't find MQA to be anything special (I rather find it to be an "artifical" solution to non-existing issue that adds stupid complexity), the sound difference in some cases I would suspect comes from different track mastering mostly. To be honest I prefer some MQA tracks to non-MQA ones, but due to the mastering, not the streaming format.

Comparing Brooklyn to iFi iDAC2 which with MQA firmware requires first unfold in software, honestly speaking I do not see much difference, obviously there are differences between DACs but in MQA department I would never buy a new DAC only to get both unfolds at hardware. The difference is not night and day if there is any at all.

Out of 3 DACs you've mentioned if you want a detailed, quite neutral sound signature coming from great looking devices I would go with Mytek. The build quality is great and so is sound. Last but not least I strongly believe that MQA should not be your main reason to select DAC unless you want to limit yourself to few favorite tracks available in MQA on Tidal.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #833 of 1,853
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #834 of 1,853
I saw some new MQA versions of George Benson albums. Still waiting for In Flight though

edit: it's up now 17/11/2020

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #837 of 1,853
I wish there was a way for the TIDAL app to flag up non-Masters songs in your playlists that now have Masters versions available.
Yeah that would be great. I had the reverse happen. I had an MQA track in my playlist and I suddenly noticed it was playing hifi instead of Master. Turns out Tidal doesn't have that one anymore.

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #838 of 1,853
Hi all. Was checking new A&K DAPs and reflected a little bit.

What is the MQA hardware full decoder & MQA 8x? Also what is max frequency album in Tidal? thanks in advance.
There is a 352 KHz playlist in Tidal for some MQA classical. I had no idea it went that high but I guess that's what 8X means.

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #840 of 1,853
Thanks for your fast reply.

By the way do you know what is it MQA hardware full decoder? And are all 2020 A&K DAPs have that feature

@iFenixxZ: thanks for your comment. may i please request kindly that you clarify and further expand on what you wrote please? thank you in advance.

are you saying that all 2020 A&K DAPs are FULL MQA decoding, i.e. 8x or is it 16x? i've seen 16x in various companies' specs and got confused as well.

i am currently using the Kann Alpha which is certainly a 2020 A&K model, and all it says is MQA decoding, without specifying 8x or however many "x".

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back