Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #406 of 1,853
Is there any clarity on when Tidal Masters (MQA) will be available from the Android phone app? I only downloaded the app a week ago and am very impressed with the Hi-fi sound. I'm using a Chromecast into my old Arcam airDAC and Leben CS300XS before I make a more high-end purchasing choice in the next few weeks/months pending some research on NAS audio and streamers etc.

I've seen people on YouTube using an app called UAPP on their phones to play Tidal Masters on the Meridian Explorer 2. Is this app fooling Tidal into thinking it's the desktop app? I don't get it...

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #407 of 1,853
Is there any clarity on when Tidal Masters (MQA) will be available from the Android phone app? I only downloaded the app a week ago and am very impressed with the Hi-fi sound. I'm using a Chromecast into my old Arcam airDAC and Leben CS300XS before I make a more high-end purchasing choice in the next few weeks/months pending some research on NAS audio and streamers etc.

I've seen people on YouTube using an app called UAPP on their phones to play Tidal Masters on the Meridian Explorer 2. Is this app fooling Tidal into thinking it's the desktop app? I don't get it...

I believe UAPP has a licensing agreement with Tidal for their Tidal integration in the app. I am using UAPP to stream Tidal MQA and HiFi using my Meridian Explorer2 DAC via USB OTG cable with either my Tegra Note 7 (Android 4.3) and more recently with My FiiO X5III. Runs smooth on the Tegra and OK with some hiccups on the X5, since FiiO added official USB Audio with latest firmware.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #409 of 1,853
@BobSmith8901

Right, I see...so just an anomalie then. It really does seem clunky using a laptop for music, and quite old-fashioned. I don't know why Tidal are insisting on this - are there technical reasons why they haven't done an Android/iOS app with Masters yet?
I've often wondered the same thing. Like the desktop app, they could do a software unfold and give the option to bypass so a DAP, phone or DAC could do a full hardware rendering. Maybe it is pretty difficult within the constraints of Android or iOS or they just can't be bothered at this point.

I must say though, depending on your hardware (I'm aware that the LG V30 does a full MQA hardware rendering by itself), UAPP does a generally good job if you want MQA off a phone/tablet or DAP. It has a setting where you check "bit perfect" and it sends the raw MQA stream to your renderer of choice--in my case the ME2. The only problem is that it can get bit awkward with the cabling to an MQA DAC especially if you also have a portable amp in the mix.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #410 of 1,853
@BobSmith8901

Right, I see...so just an anomalie then. It really does seem clunky using a laptop for music, and quite old-fashioned. I don't know why Tidal are insisting on this - are there technical reasons why they haven't done an Android/iOS app with Masters yet?

Just a hunch on my part...Tidal probably sees the majority of Masters streamers as sitting at home in a quiet environment and prioritized the desktop app to cater to that crowd first. People listening out of the phone directly (in general) are probably mobile, and with the noise of the world around you while mobile, the quality difference between Masters and HiFi is probably quite small. Or, maybe they have developers that are more adept at desktop development vs. mobile development.

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #411 of 1,853
I've only used Tidal at home since I got it and I've only used it on my phone, because it's a good remote control for my Chromecast. I don't see why being at home would make me more likely to use a PC for my Tidal listening.

Tjabks for the replies. I guess we'll just have to wait for them to make the necessary software updates.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #412 of 1,853
@BobSmith8901

The main technical reason is simple, and leads to business reasons as well. your phone needs "MQA Inside", or an external MQA DAC attached via USB. But Apple, Google, and others are removing DACs from their phones, and pushing an ecosystem for their own music services focused on wireless earbuds containing DACs that don't support MQA in any way. The very expensive LG V30 has an internal MQA-capable DAC, but the number of Tidal subscribers who will own a phone like that, or who would buy a portable external MQA DAC — or have even heard of such a thing — is really a very small percentage of the overall user base. And Tidal is still losing money. A lot of money. More than we could ever make up for ...even if every member of head-fi somehow suddenly decided today we just can't live without full unfolding of all 100,000 or so Tidal Masters tracks on our phones.

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #413 of 1,853
The main technical reason is simple, and leads to business reasons as well. your phone needs "MQA Inside", or an external MQA DAC attached via USB. But Apple, Google, and others are removing DACs from their phones, and pushing an ecosystem for their own music services focused on wireless earbuds containing DACs that don't support MQA in any way. The very expensive LG V30 has an internal MQA-capable DAC, but the number of Tidal subscribers who will own a phone like that, or who would buy a portable external MQA DAC — or have even heard of such a thing — is really a very small percentage of the overall user base. And Tidal is still losing money. A lot of money. More than we could ever make up for ...even if every member of head-fi somehow suddenly decided today we just can't live without full unfolding of all 100,000 or so Tidal Masters tracks on our phones.

Yeah, I haven't heard much at all lately regarding Tidal's current monetary situation. In December Dagens Naeringsliv was reporting they had enough working capital to last til June, which is now. I wonder if we'll get some reporting on this subject any time soon. Would be a drag for me if they folded but I'm sure some wouldn't mind. I can actually conceive of them creating a new pricing structure and maybe charging more of a premium for the Hi Fi tier if you also want masters streams. I wonder how many would drop if they decided to increase the sub for masters?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #414 of 1,853
Yeah, I haven't heard much at all lately regarding Tidal's current monetary situation. In December Dagens Naeringsliv was reporting they had enough working capital to last til June, which is now. I wonder if we'll get some reporting on this subject any time soon. Would be a drag for me if they folded but I'm sure some wouldn't mind. I can actually conceive of them creating a new pricing structure and maybe charging more of a premium for the Hi Fi tier if you also want masters streams. I wonder how many would drop if they decided to increase the sub for masters?

Given that the OP began this thread as a positive music appreciation thing, I'll avoid getting into details here...but...go ahead and Google "Tidal fraud" for the latest news.

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #415 of 1,853

Yes, and last June the same sources said Tidal only had enough cash to last until December...and here we are a year on. How many businesses have 6 months operating capital just sitting in their account? Sounds healthy to me.

Also, we hear talk of Tidal making big losses - $44 million last year - yet no-one mentions that Spotify lost $581 million in the same year. Isn't Quboz in trouble too?

Tidal is here to stay, whether with the current owners or others.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the 'Today is cancelled' Playlist at home. Such good sound :)

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #416 of 1,853
Isn't Quboz in trouble too?

Qobuz went into receivership a few years ago, but came out of it with new ownership and a new price structure that they claim will lead to profitability in a few years.

A big part of that is charging a lot of money to the small number of us who stream Hi-Res tracks. That tier is quite pricey, but probably the only level that pays for itself.

They're launching in the USA this year, and they offer 1,000,000 of those Hi-Res tracks, compared to a bit over 100,000 MQA tracks on Tidal. (I came up with those track numbers here).

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #417 of 1,853
How do you listen to Tidal Masters? I've been trying to get it to work today for the first time without much luck. So far, the only way that works is to use the Tidal desktop app and then listen directly through the laptop eg. in-built laptop speakers (do not have a USB DAC to try, but I assume that would work too). Is it not possible to use a Chromecast Audio? Do I have to buy a USB DAC now? Can I send Tidal Masters over a network? If so, would I need a laptop always running or would a streamer separate do the job?

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #418 of 1,853
I have refrained from commenting on MQA, preferring to listen instead. My opinion has been formed from listening to Tidal Masters over the last year. I currently have four DACs (Chord Dave, Ps Audio DirectStream DAC, Exasound PlayPoint/e32, and Meridian Explorer II).

This is a complicated issue for me, as each element of the recording, mastering, distribution and playback process will affect the final presentation to my ears. Does every MQA Tidal Master recording sound better than every non-MQA Tidal Master recording? Absolutely not, but often there is a noticeable improvement in clarity, space, and positioning of instruments. I have relied upon my personal pleasure from listening to music to guide my judgement.

Two decisions I have made:
I will not be purchasing hi-res (DSD) files for downloading any more, as I am satisfied with the SQ and the rapidly expanding selection that Tidal Masters provides.
Any future DACs that I purchase will have MQA decoding capability.
I am reporting my own conclusions, and have no interest in debating either the scientific, economic or political ramifications of MQA. I am only interested in the joy that I receive from listening to great music.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #419 of 1,853
I have refrained from commenting on MQA, preferring to listen instead. My opinion has been formed from listening to Tidal Masters over the last year. I currently have four DACs (Chord Dave, Ps Audio DirectStream DAC, Exasound PlayPoint/e32, and Meridian Explorer II).

This is a complicated issue for me, as each element of the recording, mastering, distribution and playback process will affect the final presentation to my ears. Does every MQA Tidal Master recording sound better than every non-MQA Tidal Master recording? Absolutely not, but often there is a noticeable improvement in clarity, space, and positioning of instruments. I have relied upon my personal pleasure from listening to music to guide my judgement.

I will not be purchasing hi-res (DSD) files for downloading any more, as I am satisfied with the SQ and the rapidly expanding selection that Tidal Masters provides.
I am reporting my own conclusions, and have no interest in debating either the scientific, economic or political ramifications of MQA. I am only interested in the joy that I receive from listening to great music.

I have reached a similar conclusion. I also have several dacs/ network players including Marantz NA 7004, Naim Uniti, Audio Alchemy and a Meridian Explorer2. For me Tidal Masters offers very good SQ via all the days but especially the Explorer2. I would love to try a more expensive MQA equipped streamer but the choice is limited. I read many reviews and comments regarding MQA most seem to pit the Explorer2 or Bluesound Node 2 against esoteric CD and Network players and concluded MQA is 'not better'. Looking at SQ/$ equation MQA appears, to me, to offer great SQ at relatively low price. I could buy a CORDS or similar dac for mega bucks but I paid $250 for the Meridian and $25 a month for Tidal. That means about 40 years payback for a non MQA set up I would see as "not worse'.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #420 of 1,853

I haven't done any critical comparisons but I'm happy with the quality of Tidal masters I've heard. I guess I would make a distinction between MQA for streaming as opposed to downloads. I can see why MQA would be preferable for streaming. Even if you have a fast connection, reducing bandwidth is good if you can do it without loss of content. MQA seems to solve this.

Yet for normal listening (buying downloads, ripping CDs, SACDs etc.) I prefer the relative simplicity of FLAC or DSD without having to depend on hardware (or worse, software) hoop-jumping to decode MQA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back