Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,861 of 5,210
Man I can't even hear 320 vs Tidal, or hell even 256 most of the time and 192 a lot of the time. But I really love the idea of having the pure MQA track streaming just for the placebo/psychological effect.

I've always said: get the highest quality files you can manage. If data and storage space are a problem or you need the features from another, you're losing nothing audible. But there's still something really awesome about knowing that despite it being streaming, it's the straight unadulterated master file coming through.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #1,862 of 5,210
Many cases it can take training to hear the differences in codecs and bit rates.. For example, a common way to easily pick up moderate MP3 is to listen for cymbals, as the algorithm does not handle them correctly.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #1,863 of 5,210
  Many cases it can take training to hear the differences in codecs and bit rates.. For example, a common way to easily pick up moderate MP3 is to listen for cymbals, as the algorithm does not handle them correctly.

If you need to train your ear and concentrate then in practical terms you can't hear a difference. Certainly if it is only with particular aspects such as cymbals. I would still bet in blind listening, multiple trials these differences would be extremely hard to reliably detect. I know, sound science forum.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,864 of 5,210
  If you need to train your ear and concentrate then in practical terms you can't hear a difference. Certainly if it is only with particular aspects such as cymbals. I would still bet in blind listening, multiple trials these differences would be extremely hard to reliably detect. I know, sound science forum.

I do VERY well on hearing tests, and I've failed every blind test I've taken as have a bunch of friends of mine. If there are people out there who can legitimately hear the difference, then I guess I envy them like how I envy people who can see more colors than I can because it means they can perceive a wider palette than I. But for my eardrums and my experience Google and Tidal sound equivalent.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't leap at the chance for TRUE master tracks and pay extra for it though.
beyersmile.png

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,865 of 5,210

I do VERY well on hearing tests, and I've failed every blind test I've taken as have a bunch of friends of mine. If there are people out there who can legitimately hear the difference, then I guess I envy them like how I envy people who can see more colors than I can because it means they can perceive a wider palette than I. But for my eardrums and my experience Google and Tidal sound equivalent.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't leap at the chance for TRUE master tracks and pay extra for it though.
beyersmile.png

So agree. I ran a multiple trial blind test with 7 subjects at our November head-fi meet. Not one person did better than 50%. Love that avatar by the way, what is it? And just to be even more nosey, where is NEPA?

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,866 of 5,210
  If you need to train your ear and concentrate then in practical terms you can't hear a difference. 

An analogy:  Dude you can't dunk the basketball.  Dude then dunks.  Then switch - if you need to train and practice and lift weights to dunk, then you can't really do it in practical terms.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but noting that a small difference can still be a difference.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #1,867 of 5,210
  So agree. I ran a multiple blind test with 7 subjects at our November head-fi meet. Not one person did better than 50%. Love that avatar by the way, what is it? And just to be even more nosey, where is NEPA?

That is the cover of an album by Argentinian black metal band Downfall of Nur.

NEPA = Northeast Pennsylvania. Although actually I need to change that because I moved to Texas. XD

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,868 of 5,210
An analogy:  Dude you can't dunk the basketball.  Dude then dunks.  Then switch - if you need to train and practice and lift weights to dunk, then you can't really do it in practical terms.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but noting that a small difference can still be a difference.

That is not a good analogy. Maybe if someone claimed to dunk dead centre every time? :wink:
It's a bit of a pointless conversation although I do get concerned when people tempt me to spend money that I cannot really afford on things I cannot really hear!

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #1,869 of 5,210
It's more like claiming there are more and more colors on a monitor. At some point our eyes just can't tell when one color is a single Hz difference in the wavelength from another. The same will eventually be true of pixel density in phones. They'll be advertising 1500ppi or something but we stopped being able to see the difference long ago. 

But yeah, I'd say get Tidal if you can because there's a real sweet feeling in just knowing that you're hearing the "pure" sound, even if you can't actually differentiate it from an impure sound. If they could just get some of the other features ironed out I'd stick with it. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #1,870 of 5,210

+1

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,871 of 5,210
There is an article in Stereophile by Bob Katz who is a recording engineer about blind listening tests. I'll try to look it up when I get back but it made me think that most people don't realise how difficult real blind listening tests are.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #1,872 of 5,210

How about we agree to disagree and leave it at that? I'm tempted to be selfish and reply, but that doesn't really help anything or the thread. typically the more you try to convince somebody that you're right the more entrenched both sides become so it is a pointless exercise. Cheers.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,873 of 5,210
Seriously, the audible difference isn't really important right now. I think we all agree that, if money's not an issue, we all do want true lossless because *** it means we get the completely unaltered track. That's awesome! :D And a business is giving it to us! Double awesome! :D

Yeah it's true, I'm on Google because the features are better and I really can't hear it anyway, but I have 3 more months on my Tidal subscription because of the promotion and I think I'mma end up using it once those MQA tracks roll out just to have the satisfaction of it. 

Fingers crossed they can add some other features that would really put it over the edge. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,874 of 5,210

How about we agree to disagree and leave it at that? I'm tempted to be selfish and reply, but that doesn't really help anything or the thread. typically the more you try to convince somebody that you're right the more entrenched both sides become so it is a pointless exercise. Cheers.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/nr2GeWiDrdY[/VIDEO]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back