Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,786 of 5,210

Ah, but the quality of the source does indeed matter - although not the OS.  But, for example, a dedicated PCIe card like the JCAT allows you to turn off bus power and make the 1's/0's truly just a data transfer.  It definitely makes an audible difference.  In fact, you can probably even discern audible differences between different cards (e.g. JCAT vs SoTM).

Yes, that's why I said hardware matters, not software. That's why an external USB DAC makes a difference.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,788 of 5,210

Yes but the source before the DAC matters.  E.g. the USB port on a Macbook is quite different than the USB port on a good HTPC server.

I want you to test something.

Plug an external hard drive into a Macbook, and transfer a few files onto it. Then plug it into an HTPC and transfer the same files. Let me know if they come out differently. Because that's what would be happening for this to be a factor. 

Yes, the hardware is different in those USB ports but it's a USB port. There may be different quality of port hardware and some are certainly crummy and the transfer speeds may differ but if you're going to start claiming the same file being digitally transferred through USB can come out differently on the other side you might as well start saying HDMI cables matter. Either the 1s and 0s make it over or they don't.

EDIT: And I'm aware that Bluetooth is a digital file transfer protocol but that's a wildly different animal. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,789 of 5,210
@Billheiser I am not spreading suspicion, I am discussing in a discussion forum in a discussion based community. I feel I have clearly indicated that I am speculating/questioning in all of my past posts, but if more clarification is required I will again state that I do not know hence why I was discussing this matter. If you read I clearly say DSP if any which is inclusive of there being no sound adjustment made.

@SomeGuyDude And for your point, I was accepting your explanation that the stream itself could not be adjusted; however, I was simply saying that didn't mean some kind of adjustment couldn't be made within an application be it through the browser or the desktop application. Again for you I will say the same thing, I couched my statements as non-factual and I think my point was clear.

I started wondering about this when noticing that on my phone the Tidal app was significantly louder than Neutron. Kind of made me wonder if there is any volume adjusting going on. I will have to correct myself in the sense that if it is purely volume boosting (if that is happening at all of course) that is analogue hence not truly DSP so that needs to be clarified.

Regardless, if you do not agree with my questions as mentioned that is fine, but I am well within my rights to bring forward topics for conversation here and I do not recognize the authority of other members in this situation to tell me what is appropriate or worth discussing. If the moderators wish to make that distinction and can show me how I violated any terms of service that is their role. I don't mind people questioning me at all, I do not pretend to know everything, but I do not appreciate the tone. I did not "flip-flop" as it appears has been implied, I simply have listened to what others have said and reflected upon it.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,790 of 5,210

I want you to test something.

Plug an external hard drive into a Macbook, and transfer a few files onto it. Then plug it into an HTPC and transfer the same files. Let me know if they come out differently. Because that's what would be happening for this to be a factor. 

Yes it will make a difference, assuming things like: the HTPC has a dedicated JTAC PCIe card with dedicated power (not bus power), the HTPC power supply is a high quality linear device, etc..  But, then, you also said you don't don't seem to hear a difference between 44 khz and upsampling to 192 khz (same file), while I hear a very notable difference.  These differences may be less audible through various DACs, though.  My R-2R DAC has a totally flat frequency response and definitely allows me to hear differences and even nuances in the source.  And I've now heard both the SoTM and the JTAC through my DAC...  I can hear a difference between them, even.

Don't take my word for it for though.  For one, you could try contacting the owner of Mr Speakers (Ether/Ether-C, etc).  I know he recently auditioned a high end HTPC server for his trade show demos, and said he could hear the difference within the first 4 notes.  LOL.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,791 of 5,210
Ref @sonicdefender's point about volume. I just A/B'd my iP6 with Tidal vs the Onkyo DP-X1 that I just received today, with the Tidal app downloaded. The iP6 is definitely louder and more "in your face" with the same tracks on Tidal vs the Onkyo.
SQ-wise, the Onkyo is smoother and has a wider soundstage. But the iP still still sounds good. I.e. They don't sound the same even with the same IEMs.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,792 of 5,210
Google Music does a great job of encoding 320. It's so close to Tidal Hi-Fi that it's worth the price over Tdal. Plus, you get ad free you tube red all for 9.99. I did A/B Test MA Mezanine. So, close it makes Google Music my choice. Library is huge. Too. Goodbye Spotify and Tidal, (after March 2016).

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,796 of 5,210
Another good reason to drop Tidal would be not having enough internet bandwith... LOL

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,797 of 5,210
TIDAL has no Metallica Album (just a few popular tracks) !!!! OMG!!!!! Come on Lars....
basshead.gif

Ouuu and:
My "back-button" doesn't work all the time on the computer. Am i the only one?

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,799 of 5,210
Nice initiative joeq70! 
cool.gif

Here is another tip that require a Android tablet or mobile phone (works as a control device when connected to the same network as the computer) and Windows 8 and above (preferable Windows 10 v1511...but not Mac I'm afraid):

Step 1. Download Jplay´s free trial: http://www.jplay.eu/download/
Step 2. Run regedit and go to Computer\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JPLAY6
Step 3. Select Clock and change the entry to 3
Step 4. Restart the computer
Step 5. Download BubbleDS Next on your Android device (Search for it on Google Play. It is completely free for up to 16 tracks at the time)
Step 6. Start Jplay setting panel and change the settings to this (just Bitperfect volume on OFF it you do not want to control the volume from Jplay): 

Step 7. Open BubbleDS Next on your Android device and select Jplaystreamer under Linn DS and Tidal under Cloud. Insert your Tidal account details and enjoy the sound! :)

Do not forget that Fildelizer free http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/ in Extremist mode with OS timer resolution... option unticked and Network Render with Jplaystreamer as selected audiophile player make it all better. If you like it...buy them all...and both the usabillity and SQ will increase even more.

Good luck! 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,800 of 5,210
  I just verified that  TIDAL's "Mud on the Tires" is lossless, i.e. I saw the "HIFI" label light up. Has anybody ever verified that TIDAL's "FLAC" files are actually lossless. They sound very degraded compared to my own rips. 

Have you tried the procedure joeq70 outlines two posts above? If so, does it improve the sound for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back