Tidal Lossless Streaming
Oct 12, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,592 of 5,210
Could anyone point me to a link describing (if possible) how to use a tablet (Apple or other) as a remote to control my (Windows) laptop running Tidal?  Thanks.

I am using JplayStreamer with BubbleDS Next on Android tablet. The SQ and usabillity is nothing short of amazing IMO. Read more here http://www.jplay.eu. Read the manual under JplayStreamer for Tidal.
IF you use Fidelizer Pro set it to Extremist mode/Network renderer/JplayStreamer as audiophile player for best resultat.
Good luck! :)

Just let me know IF you descide to go for it and have downloaded Jplay on your W8+computer and BubbleDS Next on your Android device. I will be happy to guide you through the initial settings.

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,593 of 5,210
I know its not directly related to headphones, but I received an update to my Naim muso today and the app now supports Tidal directly. I guess this would also be coming to superuniti, etc very soon, if not already. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,596 of 5,210
I appreciate this is a schoolboy error, as they say, but I glanced at my Tidal settings on my iP6 yesterday and realised that while I have the "Hi-fi" subscription, and was set for "Hi-fi" quality for wifi streaming, it was set for "normal" for downloads.

After calming down a bit, I deleted and then re-downloaded a bunch of albums onto my iP on "Hi-fi" setting, and of course the SQ is way better. I'm running the phone into an ALO CDM and it has suddenly come to life, after I spent my first week with it thinking it was a bit too middly / imprecise, even for an amp that uses tubes. It now sounds fantastic - nicely more musical than the already great Chord Hugo, but with some more Hugo-like detail; much improved from before.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone else on here is more diligent, but mention it just in case anyone hasn't checked their download settings lately.

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,597 of 5,210
I appreciate this is a schoolboy error, as they say, but I glanced at my Tidal settings on my iP6 yesterday and realised that while I have the "Hi-fi" subscription, and was set for "Hi-fi" quality for wifi streaming, it was set for "normal" for downloads.

After calming down a bit, I deleted and then re-downloaded a bunch of albums onto my iP on "Hi-fi" setting, and of course the SQ is way better. I'm running the phone into an ALO CDM and it has suddenly come to life, after I spent my first week with it thinking it was a bit too middly / imprecise, even for an amp that uses tubes. It now sounds fantastic - nicely more musical than the already great Chord Hugo, but with some more Hugo-like detail; much improved from before.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone else on here is more diligent, but mention it just in case anyone hasn't checked their download settings lately.

Thanks for bringing this warning/reminder to light.

On a related note, I was surprised to discover that a Hi-Fi subscription does not guarantee CD quality (FLAC) playback of all songs. I've not seen any mention of this on Head-Fi or in articles I've read on Tidal.

When I signed up for a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription in May, I incorrectly assumed that a Hi-Fi subscription meant 100% of the songs in Tidal's catalog would be CD quality. It turns out that this is not the case. Although much of the catalog is FLAC, I've found that some more obscure albums/songs are not. I was also disappointed to find no mention of this deficiency on their site, or in their service agreement. In Tidal's defense, it's worth noting they do have a process to request FLAC versions of non-FLAC recordings in their catalog. However, it is unclear as to how quickly request are processed and how frequently the catalog is updated. For me, this has not been a large problem as the number of non-FLAC recordings I've encountered is small. But again, I was surprised to learn of this after I started my Hi-Fi subscription. My expectation is Tidal will continually improve its service over time.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the service, even more so now that I've recently installed Roon. I've found Roon paired with Tidal subscription to be an outstanding combination.

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #1,598 of 5,210
Does anyone know what the Tidal volume setting is supposed to be set at? When I originally installed Tidal, I believe the volume slider was in the middle. If I move the slider all the way to the right, is that considered 100% volume, or would I be going over at that point?

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,599 of 5,210
  Does anyone know what the Tidal volume setting is supposed to be set at? When I originally installed Tidal, I believe the volume slider was in the middle. If I move the slider all the way to the right, is that considered 100% volume, or would I be going over at that point?

Always set it on 100%.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,600 of 5,210
Tidal is sounding even better lately if I'm not imagining things. It's definitely better than my downloads sound via Jriver, even my Hires downloads. To me, this seems amazing but true. There is less glare and a more analog sound to Tidal.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,602 of 5,210
I finally purchased ROON for my Macbook pro

I am happy, but... I find one problem:  The TIDAL "full" integration may be a strengh, but I also find it confusing: when I browse albums for example, I do not know anymore what is local and what is available from Tidal. I get lost not knowing what is mine and what is not.

-->  Is there a way to get the local albums highlighted (like a red frame around the cover art, or something else) ?

thanks in advance

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,603 of 5,210

Always set it on 100%.

So as far as we know, moving the slider all the way to the right gives 100% volume? That is normally what I would expect, but I feel like the slider was set in the middle by default, so I'm not sure.

I think the default mid setting is just a precaution so no-one gets there ears damaged....and not due to sound quality concerns.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,604 of 5,210
  Tidal is sounding even better lately if I'm not imagining things. It's definitely better than my downloads sound via Jriver, even my Hires downloads. To me, this seems amazing but true. There is less glare and a more analog sound to Tidal.

I have personally changed too much in my system lately to know exactly what have contributed to which improvement. I do think it sounds better though! 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back