Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #3,048 of 5,210
  Why use software decoding, as opposed to allowing your DAC to do it?
Either way, I agree, the audio difference is quite discernable, more so than going from Spotify Premium to Tidal Hifi; Master's sounds very spacious and pure. I heard it instantly.

Amount of content is low...not too many albums.

Considering it just rolled out I'm not too worried about that.  They have a pretty good selection of well mastered albums.  Something to keep in mind is a lot of music was never released in hi-res so you wouldn't gain any benefit to having the entire catalog streamed in MQA anyway, as it would just be 16/44 upsampled.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #3,053 of 5,210
I'm still trying to figure out how passthrough mode works on my Modi.  It shouldn't... so is it downsampling?  Or software decoding?  Am I getting 24/96? Really odd

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #3,055 of 5,210
How are you guys telling which album is MQA, other than going through the Master tab in What's New? I saw from an earlier post there are more than what's shown in that tab. Is there a way to see what format is an album in? 

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #3,056 of 5,210
OK just figured out why it works on my Modi.  The bad news is now I really want something that can actually decode MQA haha.  Does anyone know if the AK100ii or AK70 can decode MQA in USB DAC mode?  I know they support it but does it work when connected to a PC?

1. The MQA "audio origami" process wraps files in a 24-bit FLAC container which can be read by non-MQA enabled DACs. When playing back high-res content on a non-MQA DAC, the file is presented to the DAC as either 24/44.1 or 24/48 depending on the original sample rate family. You cannot play back an MQA encoded 24/96 file as a 24/96 file on a non-MQA DAC.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #3,058 of 5,210

The only thing is that though they are highlighting the 30,000 tracks available in Master quality, I can only find about a hundred or so under the Masters section in What's New. Are the rest being rolled out over time or am I missing some other section where the other Masters quality tracks are located?

There are plenty more that are not shown in the Masters tab. I don't think there's any way to search for them specifically, you will have to try (and hope) and see for yourself :)

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #3,060 of 5,210
So do you think they will come out with masters via iOS app? I don't have a lap top and only stream hiding via the app? Also, will you be able to get this quality straight out vs via dac so I could just use. Pair of el8s? But I assume I won't get it from my chord tt into my gs mk2? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back