Tidal Lossless Streaming
Nov 27, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #1,711 of 5,210
If you download files to use them in offline mode you will have to make sure that you have selected Hifi on download quality as well in the Tidal settings. There are three sound qualities to select there. Wifi streaming/Mobile Streaming/Download quality. Good luck! :)

/Micael
thanks for reply. Sorry I didn't explain that clearly. Even online the phone will not stream in hifi setting with those set correctly on its own,that is without UAPP.
Would be good to know if some of you with android phones can use tidal in hifi setting without 3rd party players, or like I fear, oneplus 2 isn't capable!
For the record I had no problem on ios, but really enjoy the change to android.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,712 of 5,210

If you download files to use them in offline mode you will have to make sure that you have selected Hifi on download quality as well in the Tidal settings. There are three sound qualities to select there. Wifi streaming/Mobile Streaming/Download quality. Good luck! :)

/Micael

thanks for reply. Sorry I didn't explain that clearly. Even online the phone will not stream in hifi setting with those set correctly on its own,that is without UAPP.
Would be good to know if some of you with android phones can use tidal in hifi setting without 3rd party players, or like I fear, oneplus 2 isn't capable!
For the record I had no problem on ios, but really enjoy the change to android.

Ok, I am using iPhone 5 myself for portable and only use an Android tablet as a control point in my JplayStreamer setup where everything works with Hifi settings. Different story though. Should be someone else on this thread that can help you out. Good luck! :)

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,713 of 5,210
Not sure where to write this but here goes,
I'm using a oneplus 2 playing tidal with UAPP app to a chord mojo plays great in hifi setting. Phone will also play tidal in hifi setting without mojo, great. If I decide to play offline and can't use the app the oneplus 2 will not play in hifi setting,only in low quality setting. Wondered whether this is an android thing, as new to it as you can probably tell, or is the phone incapable of doing it. If so I would just stop wasting my time and get another handset, maybe nexus 6p or v10?!

Get the V10.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,717 of 5,210

Awesome news! Thanks for sharing! 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,719 of 5,210
This is good news... But are all players be able to stream MQA off the Tidal app?

The article makes it unclear as it says only the new pioneer player supports MQA? 

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,720 of 5,210
  This is good news... But are all players be able to stream MQA off the Tidal app?

The article makes it unclear as it says only the new pioneer player supports MQA? 

Probably not, as this was the primary reason, in my opinion, why MQA was developed; they want money for the rights to be able to play this format.  It offers no sound improvement in my opinion, and there is no proof to suggest that it does, but that is the same for any HD format compared to Red Book.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,721 of 5,210
^ Ditto, high resolution is a waste of money. At our recent headphone meet although only a sample of 7 people tested, but on multiple trial blind listening tests, NOBODY did better than 50% when asked what version of a song sounded better, 320mp3 or the lossless version. People assume they can hear the difference, but they just assume and don't do blind listening tests. There was one subject in my listening test who was convinced that high resolution was better than Red Book. Man was he surprised to see on the first three trials in a row he picked 320 over lossless as sounding better.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,722 of 5,210
^ Ditto, high resolution is a waste of money. At our recent headphone meet although only a sample of 7 people tested, but on multiple trial blind listening tests, NOBODY did better than 50% when asked what version of a song sounded better, 320mp3 or the lossless version. People assume they can hear the difference, but they just assume and don't do blind listening tests. There was one subject in my listening test who was convinced that high resolution was better than Red Book. Man was he surprised to see on the first three trials in a row he picked 320 over lossless as sounding better.

Personally I hear a difference with high res vs redbook lossless with albums and tracks I've heard, but these are albums I am intimately familiar with. An album I'm hearing for the first time no.

I don't know what music was used in your tests but was it music that every testee was familiar with?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,723 of 5,210
^ In practical terms, meaning real world, you shouldn't need to be familiar with the music, this is practicing, and people don't study the finest of granule details, they listen to music. If somebody needs to be familiar with the material to possibly detect a tiny difference in one particular spot in a song then again I say in practical terms there is no detectable difference. So, no, the track was the same for everybody and by the last trial nobody was any better at detecting the difference so even though by that point they had enough "practice" and familiarity they were unable to hear any difference.

I don't think in multiple trials, blind listening test being familiar would help anyway. In May we are having another meet and I'm going to demonstrate this. I will have 3 subjects familiarize themselves with a lossless song we select together. They can spend a few months with it for all I care. At the meet after at least 6 trials they will not be able to better than chance identify the 320 file from the lossless it came from; at least that is my prediction now.

High resolution files are I'll bet mastered louder on purpose to take advantage of the louder sounds better principle. If you were to SPL level match a CD versus high resolution file, do at least 6 trials in blind listening I can almost guarantee you that you can't reliably hear a difference. Keep in mind to better chance detection significantly you are going to need to get at least 90% accurate detection not just better than 50%.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,725 of 5,210
Instead of speculating just wait and see/hear when it is launch in 2016! I will hold the sq improvements true first after I heard it! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back