Tidal alternatives
Apr 8, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #16 of 23
Unfortunately it seems Tidal links point to different versions of the same song or album depending on region. And it is unclear what the regions are. So it will be difficult to know if we're listening to apples and apples.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #17 of 23
I didn't understand what you mean that scamazon has Exclusive Mode but is not bit perfect. I thought those two things went together.
In the Amazon HD desktop app, Exclusive Mode only mutes system sounds - it will not use WASAPI or AISO drivers to bypass Windows' sound settings - so your signal is going to get up/down-sampled depending on how Windows is set. The use of the Exclusive Mode label is weird (and a little shady) on Amazon's part because it suggests similar function to Tidal's Exclusive Mode where when it's enabled (+Master quality +MQA when applicable) means muted system sounds + WASAPI = bit perfect. Since starting my Qobuz trial last night, I really like how the app clearly shows the different options for audio output. It really tickles the control freak inside of me.

1617912115238.png

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #18 of 23
Ok so I guess it is not exclusive mode but I was unable to sign up for scamazon to try it, so I will never know :D

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 23
Ok so I guess it is not exclusive mode but I was unable to sign up for scamazon to try it, so I will never know :D
You're not missing much.

Gave Q a try earlier, sadly missing some tracks I enjoy but willing to compromise if the audio is comparable. Interestingly some of the tracks had the same issues as Tidal so I'm leaning toward a recording error. For example peep any service's ver of ELO - Fire on High around 04:17 or The Chameleons - Less Than Human @ 02:55.

Unrelated but why do all these streaming apps have such dire UIs? I'd love something bland but functional like foobar than this wonky Electron crap.

Apr 9, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 23
ELO - Fire on High around 04:17 or The Chameleons - Less Than Human @ 02:55
Wow, on both Qobuzz and Amazon HD I definitely got the buzz on High on Fire and the crackle on Less Than Human.

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 23
Qobuz all the way. I grew up in 21th century with David Guetta, Rihanna, Martin Garrix etc. So i'm clearly a spotify type of user and i still use Qobuz. If you grew up with Pink Floyd, Beatles, The Who etc. i can't imagine anything better than Qobuz. I don't jugde the interface as i only use the third party app of my Lumin but playlists and library are top notch.

Qobuz has developed so much in the last years. 3 years before it was the utterest crap with the worst playlists and suggestions ever but it has improved so much. Tidal has basically stayed the same with the same playlists and the same suggestions that are 99% indie hiphop.

Amazon is some kind of spotify imitator with worse playlists and and a worse sound quality than Tidal and Qobuz. It has killed itself with it's exclusive integration of BluOS for me.

Deezer was the worst and strangest sounding of the four with playlists averaging the Amazon quality.

May 4, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 23
Looking also for a Tidal alternative. My main requirement is that I can use it on my PC with high sample rates and 24-bit. Not possible with Amazon Music HD, also not with Deezer Hifi. I have issues with Qobuz and the MADIface driver of the RME ADI DAC 2. At the moment I have no real solution. Looking forward to the new Tidal offerings launching in Australia. But don't know when it will be available in Europe.

May 4, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #23 of 23
Qobuz is good but if you search an artist not all the albums come up. If you search the album itself it comes up.....Weird but sounds good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back